Post your podcast recommendations here!

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Hopefully i'm the first to get this out there, but I figured now with the release of iTunes 4.9 we're going to need a podcast thread.

Although i'm not (that) new to podcasts (I have been using ipodder x and listening to engadget podcasts among others for a while) I am interested in hearing what other insiders listen to. Although Apple has made it a whole lot easier for us to find podcasts, I personally don't fancy downloading and listening to an infinite number of programs to see what i like.

Anyone have any recommendations?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 26
    tmptmp Posts: 601member
    Harry Shearer's le Show at KCRW.

Unfortunatley, iTunes got the wrong URL for it. So I'll still be using ipodderX Lite for a while.
  • Reply 2 of 26
    Quote:

Originally posted by your_ad_here

Hopefully i'm the first to get this out there, but I figured now with the release of iTunes 4.9 we're going to need a podcast thread.

Although i'm not (that) new to podcasts (I have been using ipodder x and listening to engadget podcasts among others for a while) I am interested in hearing what other insiders listen to. Although Apple has made it a whole lot easier for us to find podcasts, I personally don't fancy downloading and listening to an infinite number of programs to see what i like.

Anyone have any recommendations?

I'm glad you started this.

Looking over the list of podcasts available now in iTunes - one thing is missing: a brief summary of the podcast. I'm a bit puzzled that Apple didn't think of this.

-Bubba
  • Reply 3 of 26
    telomartelomar Posts: 1,804member
    There's a description option when you subscribe for each individual podcast. As an aside I tend to always grab the stuff from Triple M. They have some funny things sometimes.
  • Reply 4 of 26
    Quote:

Originally posted by tmp

Unfortunatley, iTunes got the wrong URL for it. So I'll still be using ipodderX Lite for a while.

No need for that... this from Apple's itunes/Manage Podcasts page:

Quote:

If your favorite podcast doesn?t appear in the Podcast Directory on the iTunes Music Store, never fear. You can subscribe to virtually any podcast in the known universe just by dragging its URL into your podcasts library, or by typing the URL into ?Subscribe to Podcast? under the Advanced menu. Even the podcasts you find yourself keep all that nifty nesting.

• Reply 5 of 26
    gene cleangene clean Posts: 3,481member
    I definitely recommend the Z100 Phone Taps in the Comedy section.
  • Reply 6 of 26
    badtzbadtz Posts: 949member
    Quote:

Originally posted by tmp

http://www.kcrw.org/podcast/
  • Reply 7 of 26
    mikefmikef Posts: 698member
    MacCast if you want to keep on-topic.

My regular list includes:

CBC (Canadian Broadcasting Corporation) Radio Quirks & Quarks (science)

Dawn & Drew

Adam Curry's Daily Source Code

Coverville

and a few others that I change up regularly.
  • Reply 8 of 26
    ipodandimacipodandimac Posts: 3,273member
    engadget
  • Reply 9 of 26
    ejpejpejpejp Posts: 17member
    What's up with the BBC podcast? It sounds like a robot is talking. I want to hear the British accent.
  • Reply 10 of 26
    I have been listening to podcasts for a few months now, and Apple has done a decent job with adding this functionality to iTunes. However, the iPodder application is still superior in some ways (not iPodderX Lite--that's buggy and unreliable). (iTunes has this annoying habit of downloading shows that have already been downloaded and listened to!)

Anyway, my standard podcasts are:

1. Inside Mac Radio - a very professional and brief daily roundup of all Mac-related news. Their 1.5 hour Saturday program is only for uber-geeks though, and isn't all that interesting.

2. KCRW's Left, Right & Center - a weekly political commentary program that is worth listening to just to hear Ariana Huffington go off on something. It's always interesting even if I don't agree with most of what's being said. The last two weeks have sucked, though, because the fill-in host is a terrible moderator. That'll change this week.

3. KCRW's The Treatment - Elvis Mitchell hosts a weekly one-on-one interview with top actors and filmmakers such as Ridley Scott, Tim Robbins and Christopher Nolan, the director of Batman Begins. (That one was especially interesting.)

4. Bike Talk - if you're into bicycling, this weekly show is totally worth it.

One thing you'll notice about podcasts is that the ones underwritten by NPR or other major news organizations and radio syndicators are the most professional and interesting. On the other hand, many of the home-grown podcasts are pretty awful and unprofessional. On top of that, I still haven't found a decent travel podcast. Still, there is one "indie" podcast I really enjoy:

1. Fly With Me - an occasional podcast by an airline pilot for one of the major carriers (he doesn't specify which one). He takes his recorder with him on trips, and the episode where he interviews flight attendants and asks them about their worst experiences on the job is one of the funniest installments. It's also pretty slickly produced.

GTSC
  • Reply 11 of 26
    There should be a law about posting podcast names without providing a LINK !!!!!
  • Reply 12 of 26
    Quote:

Originally posted by KingOfSomewhereHot

There should be a law about posting podcast names without providing a LINK !!!!!

Searching iTunes' Podcast section works though?

I recommend This Week In Tech, light hearted tech show. The only one I really listen to at the moment.
  • Reply 13 of 26
  • Reply 14 of 26
    tmptmp Posts: 601member
    It looks like they cleared up some of the links. All of my KCRW ones are working. Wheeeee!

le Show

Left, Right & Center

Which Way. LA?

DnA

and my fave:

Good Food

I knew I could manually add the URL- I did that months ago in iPodderX light. I just thought it made it look a little not-ready-for-prime-time to have three of the five podcasts I subscribe to "available" but not viable.

Almost Windoze-like of them.
  • Reply 15 of 26
    webflitswebflits Posts: 58member
    EarthCore http://www.scottsigler.net/earthcore/

Dawn and Drew show

This Week In Tech

Engadged

The Point

In the Trenches

MacCast

The Wizards of Technology

• Reply 16 of 26
    kwsanderskwsanders Posts: 327member
    I listen to several podcasts each week, but my favorite ones...

this WEEK in TECH

MacCast

Geek News Central

Slashdot Review

Inside Mac Radio

MacPhilly Almost Live

ChuckChat - Technorama (this is not on iTunes yet)
  • Reply 17 of 26
    Found this too:

http://ipodderx.com/directory

-BUBBA
  • Reply 18 of 26
    Looks like I have a busy weekend ahead listening to new podcasts...

And to think before I really didn't have much interest in this. Let's hope for sake of my grades Apple don't start selling video content through an online store...
  • Reply 19 of 26
    mikefmikef Posts: 698member
    Yeah, when I first heard of podcasting, I didn't think I'd be interested either. Now if I don't listen to my daily podcasts, I feel as though I'm missing something. It's a great way to pass time on the commute to work!
  • Reply 20 of 26
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    If you ever watched Techtv (even if you didn't) check out TWiT, best podcast out there (Curry is good but TWiT has better content IMHO and any "podcast" of a broadcast program like NPR, Limbaugh, Bravo, ESPN, or ABC dont count for anything in my book)

This week in tech is superb and unilke D&D and Curry, you can listen to it in your office/cube and offend no one...at least no one that I can think of...