New iMac RAM-up to 1GB?How?!

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
The new iMac claims to support up to 1GB of RAM, which means, if you buy the base 128MB machine you need to access internal RAM after putting in a 512MB SO-DIMM RAM.

The internal RAM, however, is a PC133 DIMM.

So swap a 128MB PC133 to 512MB PC133 and put in 512MB SO-DIMM. Strange.

You most likely will need your iMac to be upgraded by a Apple Service point or authorized dealer, since the internal RAM is not accessible for the user without voiding warranty. It can be done though.

So this 1GB will come at some extra cost then.

Hm, not so user friendly.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 14
    I would guess that for 99% of iMac buyers 640 or 768 MB RAM is sufficient.

But I'm going to check, how much an upgrade to the internal RAM is going to cost (or if I can do it myself, fairly easy), since the PC133 DIMMS are generally cheaper than the SO-DIMMS.
  • Reply 2 of 14
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    It's strange, because you're not even able to BTO it with 1 GB.

Also, did anyone notice the Jan. ship date has been pushed back to "3 to 5 weeks."
  • Reply 3 of 14
    matsumatsu Posts: 6,558member
    On a somewhat related side note, I wonder if 1GB is really the RAm limit, or if it just follows Apple's ussual practice of stating the max limit? Biggest available module times number of slots. If so, I think you'll soon find 1GB dimms (if not already), thought it'll be a while before we see 1GB so-dimms I think.

Wow, we might see 1.5GB iMacs by year's end! Maybe even 2GB iMacs by next year! :eek: I think we'll have to wait for some of our mod crazy Japanese brothers to get their hands on shiny new iMacs before we find out.
  • Reply 4 of 14
    I think the interal RAM can be BTO with a 512MB PC133 DIMM through the Applestore, which means that you will have to supply your own 512MB SO-DIMM for the user upgradeable slot if you want 1GB RAM. But yeah, I wonder why there isn't a 1GB BTO option?
  • Reply 5 of 14
    murbotmurbot Posts: 5,262member
    You can BTO the internal chip with a 512 on the SuperDrive model, but you're stuck with a max of 256 in the mid and low end models.

I guess you'd have to have this done afterwards yourself.
  • Reply 6 of 14
    crusadercrusader Posts: 1,129member
    Don't try to replace the ram yourself, you need lots of thermal paste.
  • Reply 7 of 14
    [quote]Originally posted by jhtrih:

<strong>Don't try to replace the ram yourself, you need lots of thermal paste.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Oh please be realistic -- I'd say you would need no more than you put on your toothbrush each morning ;-)

I don't see that the warranty is voided so long as you don't damage anything during the install.

Installing RAM in the inner factory slot (user unfriendly slot) requires unscrewing 4 captive screws and 4 torx screws and then carefully folding back the bottom plate and removing/installing a new compliant PC133 168-pin DIMM. Reassembly requires you to smear some Radio Shack thermal paste on an area the size of a quarter to re-establish the factory built heat conductive-cooling feature of the machine. And that's it.

[ 01-15-2002: Message edited by: Barry Sharp ]</p>
  • Reply 8 of 14
    [quote]Originally posted by Power Apple:

<strong>I would guess that for 99% of iMac buyers 640 or 768 MB RAM is sufficient.

</strong><hr></blockquote>

640 works for me!
  • Reply 9 of 14
    cdhostagecdhostage Posts: 1,038member
    I thought it strange that Apple advertised tje iMac as hacing ao 1 GB limit and then even as a BTO doesn;'t offer anything higher than 768. It smacks of foul play to me. Flase advertising at least. I like my RAM and I like it big. Many. Whatever
  • Reply 10 of 14
    [quote]Originally posted by cdhostage:

<strong>I thought it strange that Apple advertised tje iMac as hacing ao 1 GB limit and then even as a BTO doesn;'t offer anything higher than 768.</strong><hr></blockquote>

I fail to see the problem.

Having Apple bump the DIMM on the 800 from 256 to 512 (single-chip option) costs an extra $200, while a 512mHz SO-DIMMs are going for $150. Even if Apple offered a full gig BTO, how much would they want for that second 512? 300? 400?

Wouldn't people then scream about Apple's outrageous RAM prices?

Put it this way: It's a complete non-issue (though I can see it really bothers you). Since the warrantee wants Apple to fill the internal slot, fine. Long as they fill it full. I can and am happy to fill the other slot myself, and the savings just makes that sweeter.
  • Reply 11 of 14
    If you are intimidated by cracking the iMac, spend the extra $200 and get Apple to pump up to 512.

Apple's RAM prices are insane, but suck it up and pay it, and save yourself the hassle.

SdC
  • Reply 12 of 14
    katekate Posts: 172member
    Since nearly everybody here seems to have the now gone servicing manual for the iMac, accessing internal RAM slots should be fairly easy.

The warranty problem may come up when Apple has some seal somewhere or has a dot of colour glue on some screw, if you understand what I'm talking of.

It is sad that Apple RAM issues with regard to Apple price and installing hassle are still remaining. Why not offering two same standard RAM slots and let the user swap in what he likes? User friendlyness?

Anyway, I'm glad to be able to get reasonable RAM in if I like to. The advertising office expressed a high interest getting two or three, so I have to deal with it soon I think.
  • Reply 13 of 14
    bradbowerbradbower Posts: 1,068member
    Hmm, damn. Yet another reason to make me want to get the top end model. But I don't want to pay that much! augh
  • Reply 14 of 14
    matsumatsu Posts: 6,558member
    I never by the first edition of a computer. Apple says they've been developing this iMac for two years, so it's probably fairly well sorted, and Apple ussually do a good job on quality control, but there are bound to be niggling issues -- like the RAM slots. Didn't Apple play with the layout of the old iMac a bit through the first two revs (b and c) and again with C2? Maybe we'll see a rev b with two user accessible dimms. How hard would it be?