The Apple iGame - Next Generation Console Gaming

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Sorry but someone had to say it, Apple hve been a hardware manufacturer for along time, its possible that when they think the market is ready that they will want to revolutionise the gaming industry, possible that the ipod plugs in to be used as a memory card

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    henriokhenriok Posts: 537member
    Quote:

Originally posted by cdoverlaw

Sorry but someone had to say it

I think everyone is silent on this matter because Apple really have no business nor credibility in this segment at all.. and, this is at a time when Sony, Microsoft and Nintendo are releasing quite a strong line up for the comming years, while Apple just dumped the plattform that is to be the future for gaming for another..
  • Reply 2 of 8
    well Apple brand is stronger than Microsoft's, and microsoft was int he same position when they launched Xbox, but that was a success, i believe that Apple could partner with Nintendo to build a new market leading console
  • Reply 3 of 8
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,423member
    Quote:

well Apple brand is stronger than Microsoft's, and microsoft was int he same position when they launched Xbox, but that was a success, i believe that Apple could partner with Nintendo to build a new market leading console

1. Apple's brand is "not" stronger than Microsoft.

2. Microsoft has 100x deeper pockets than Apple.

3. Apple has always had a lukewarm attitude towards game.

3 strikes your out.
  • Reply 4 of 8
    henriokhenriok Posts: 537member
    Quote:

I think the jury is still out on whether the Xbox is a success or not. Have MS even broken even yet? Apple can't afford to loose the kind of money MS can, nor can Nintendo. MS did have quite a flying start since they had the support of game developers for the sister platform: PC gaming. They could break into the console market by pure force alone, and they did.

Apple is in no position to do this. They succeeded with the iPod partly because there was no market leader. There were 50 producers with 500 different offerings, and no leader. The high end gaming market consists of four plattforms today: GC, Xbox, PS2 and PC gaming. Microsoft is the largest palyer in two of these, Apple is in none. Nintendo is the least powerful player. If Apple were to partner with anyone, they should have chosen Sony, but since they are moving to x86 instead of Cell, this scenario is broken. And.. if they are to succeed they have to beat at least two of them.. Pick any two of MS, Sony and Nintendo to beat.. Well.. that's HARD, and can't be done by design alone.

And.. Microsofts was in quite a better position when they set out to conqueror the console market, and they have just recently beaten Nintendo in sales.. and it isn't by much. I can hardly call this a success.

I don't even think Apple would succeed in this market if they gave away the consoles...
  • Reply 5 of 8
    bergzbergz Posts: 1,045member
    This issue has been beaten to death here in this very forum.

After reading the above link do a search for Pippin on AI or Wikipedia or Google.

--B
  • Reply 6 of 8
    Quote:

Originally posted by hmurchison

1. Apple's brand is "not" stronger than Microsoft.

2. Microsoft has 100x deeper pockets than Apple.

3. Apple has always had a lukewarm attitude towards game.

3 strikes your out.

4. Itll be the major success just like Pippin.

4 definately strikes you out.
  • Reply 7 of 8
    xoolxool Posts: 2,460member
    Quote:

Originally posted by T'hain Esh Kelch

4. Itll be the major success just like Pippin.

• Reply 8 of 8
    benjamin_rbenjamin_r Posts: 265member
    This thread has descended to mocking the Pippin and I wont take it! (and the fact you can find about 5 more threads here with the same subject)

'tis Locked