Whither 10.4.2?

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
I have been holding off on a tiger upgrade until 10.4.2 which by all reports is finished... has it wilted on the vine? Is Apple just characteristically waiting until Friday to release it?

H.S.E.,

Mandricard

AppleOutsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 37
    edibiaseedibiase Posts: 19member
    Three days ago, Apple posted a Technical Q&A article that specifically mentions a bug that's fixed in 10.4.2, so it shouldn't be too long, now.
  • Reply 2 of 37
    Hang in there man...any day now it will be released.
  • Reply 3 of 37
    mugwumpmugwump Posts: 233member
    Waiting so long,

I've been waiting so, waiting so
  • Reply 4 of 37
    Hopefully they're using the extra time to get Quartz 2d extreme ENABLED AND WORKING .... i'm willing to wait a bit longer if that's tru ...
  • Reply 5 of 37
    rotellerotelle Posts: 9member
    10.4.2 8C40 build released this evening.
  • Reply 6 of 37
    mandricardmandricard Posts: 486member
    Quote:

Originally posted by rotelle

10.4.2 8C40 build released this evening.

What does that mean? Another week? Do you think this could be postponed until the July 7 event?

HSE,

Mandricard

AppleOutsider
  • Reply 7 of 37
    kcmackcmac Posts: 1,051member
    Looking forward to the Tiger dot 2 release.

I think that special event on July 7 will revolve around a phone. That would be a new product release. Not just some tweek on the iPod or to announce podcasting.
  • Reply 8 of 37
    jambojambo Posts: 3,036member
    Will probably ship first with new consumer Macs due soon and then as a standalone update soon after. We believe the timeframe is for release late-June/early-July.

Jambo
  • Reply 9 of 37
    screedscreed Posts: 1,077member
    Think Secret speaketh.

8C33 had bugs, current revision at 8C40 (with Widget Manager).
  • Reply 10 of 37
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,016member
    I've been waiting too. I'm going to order it through ed. discount, but I want the 10.4.2 CD, not a software update after getting a 10.4.1 CD. I just upgraded my 1.25 ghz PowerBook to 1 Gig of RAM and I'm anxious to see it run Tiger.
  • Reply 11 of 37
    Since the last release was Friday of last week and it had no known bugs, I'd say the next week or so is reasonable.

It could be as early as this Friday coming up, or maybe another week. The way I see it, the longer they take to squash tons of bugs in this release and get things right, that's one less time I have to worry about installing an update and rebooting my machine, etc.

I'm willing to wait as my g5 and my powerbook have both been running nearly flawlessly since Tiger came out. 10.4.2 will just be icing on the cake.
  • Reply 12 of 37
    Quote:

Originally posted by danielandrews

Since the last release was Friday of last week and it had no known bugs, I'd say the next week or so is reasonable.

It could be as early as this Friday coming up, or maybe another week. The way I see it, the longer they take to squash tons of bugs in this release and get things right, that's one less time I have to worry about installing an update and rebooting my machine, etc.

I'm willing to wait as my g5 and my powerbook have both been running nearly flawlessly since Tiger came out. 10.4.2 will just be icing on the cake.

Yeah, I agree. I'm just impatient. I'm the kind of person who would have a real use for widgets, for example. I just want the most up to date CD. Knowing Apple, they'll probably send me an old CD even though 10.4.2 came out!
  • Reply 13 of 37
    maybe 7 july, maybe 15.

but the real question, for me, is:

will they finally enable q2de?
  • Reply 14 of 37
    Quote:

Originally posted by gelosilente

maybe 7 july, maybe 15.

Almost every report I have read has stated quartz 2d extreme has no speed increases over it being off.

I highly doubt that's going to be a deal breaker for anyone.
  • Reply 15 of 37
    well, the interface speed is enough for me, but less cpu usage can benefit other calculation (and save power on pbook too, i hope)
  • Reply 16 of 37
    Quote:

maybe 7 july, maybe 15.

Man, I hope it's not that late. The real question is how long will it take to get a 10.4.2 CD from that date?
  • Reply 17 of 37
    Quote:

maybe 7 july, maybe 15.

Just a question, why is Quartz 2D important to you?
  • Reply 18 of 37
    junkyard dawgjunkyard dawg Posts: 2,801member
    It's nice but if you don't use widgets then it won't be anything special. The Finder still is only 85% done and system performance isn't much different from 10.4.0. So far, it isn't a bad update, but it's not a great update either.
  • Reply 19 of 37
    mdamda Posts: 3member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Junkyard Dawg

It's nice but if you don't use widgets then it won't be anything special. The Finder still is only 85% done and system performance isn't much different from 10.4.0. So far, it isn't a bad update, but it's not a great update either.

Are you a developer?
  • Reply 20 of 37
    junkyard dawgjunkyard dawg Posts: 2,801member
    Quote:

Originally posted by MDA

Are you a developer?

Sometimes.