PC user gone Mac!

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I was a loyal PC user for years and I have made the jump to the mac! I just purchased a new iMac from the Apple online store. I bought the Superdrive model, I am so excited. Being a former Pc user I had to make some tough decisions in going to the Mac. The hardest decision was giving up MY PATHETIC OS!

Aid my excitement!

DUDE I AM GETTIN A MAC!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 28
    fran441fran441 Posts: 3,715member
    Welcome to Macintosh.
  • Reply 2 of 28
    willoughbywilloughby Posts: 1,457member
    Congrats. Now welcome to the anal retentive world of AppleInsider, ahem..."Current Hardware" cough "General Discussion".
  • Reply 3 of 28
    andersanders Posts: 6,523member
    Yes welcome. And now you are propably going to experience one of the many things that toughens mac users: The waiting. If I was to guess I say you get this thing late february. Anyone more optimistic than me?
  • Reply 4 of 28
    dualsduals Posts: 41member
    iKonw,

I did the exact same thing last week. I went to the online store and bought the $1800 iMac. Then came to this message board and posted the exact same thing -- I've dumped my pc for the iMac. Check out <a href="http://forums.appleinsider.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=2&t=000195"; target="_blank">my message</a>! I'm glad to know that I'm not the only one who has left my Wintel box behind for the brave new world of X. Good luck!
  • Reply 5 of 28
    arielariel Posts: 46member
    [quote]Originally posted by Anders:

<strong>Yes welcome. And now you are propably going to experience one of the many things that toughens mac users: The waiting. If I was to guess I say you get this thing late february. Anyone more optimistic than me?</strong><hr></blockquote>

Gee.. and I thought WindOz users were used to waiting - after all - how often does Gates get out there and promise some new technology that will be out in a year or more???

Welcome to the real world of Mac - some delays - and a lot of great tools. I wish I could dump my windows 2000 box at the office!

Ariel
  • Reply 6 of 28
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member
    Welcome aboard.
  • Reply 7 of 28
    zoranszorans Posts: 187member
    W E L C O M E
  • Reply 8 of 28
    xoolxool Posts: 2,460member
    While I ditched my PC long ago (and I used it only for gaming at that), I'm still jealous 'cuz I want a new, fast machine!
  • Reply 9 of 28
    [quote]Originally posted by iKnow:

<strong>I was a loyal PC user for years and I have made the jump to the mac! I just purchased a new iMac from the Apple online store. I bought the Superdrive model, I am so excited. Being a former Pc user I had to make some tough decisions in going to the Mac. The hardest decision was giving up MY PATHETIC OS!

Aid my excitement!

DUDE I AM GETTIN A MAC! </strong><hr></blockquote>

damn! that's the great news. welcome to the enlightened & occasionally bitter minority.
  • Reply 10 of 28
    serranoserrano Posts: 1,806member
    add seldomly sarcastic to that

welcome!
  • Reply 11 of 28
    Welcome, I hope you enjoy your new iMac as much as iKnow i will mine!
  • Reply 12 of 28
    gkgk Posts: 32member
    Well welcome, and kudos to you for making the right decision.

• Reply 13 of 28
    So, iKnow knows his stuff...

to paraphrase from the game stracraft:

Awaken my new mac user and embrace the glory that is your macintosh. Know that we are mac users, the eternal devotees to all that is macintosh and that you are now one of us....

ok..maybe that's going overboard..but you know, mac folk are cool folk who love their computers.

congratz on your new comp..and enjoy your freedom from the dark side

:0)
  • Reply 14 of 28
    A warm welcome!

Besides the opportunity for daily worshiping our favourite fruit company, theres one thing you will be glad to discover: The Mac will do what he was payed for, from the moment you enter your desk in the morning until you fall to sleep on your keyboard, posting the last message on AI nwith your ear on the enter key . It just works without installiing new drivers, systems or bugfixes every 5 minutes.
  • Reply 15 of 28
    This is my first(second since I posted this in the wrong place) post to one of these forums. I am also (going to be) a first time Mac user. I've used this great site for research and learning and I really believe Mac to be a better computer. I've used PCs for the past 15+ years and I'm fed up with them...the more you use them the deeper your knowledge has to be to get rid of the annoying Windows crap...file errors, blue screen-o-death, etc.

I've also done a lot of reading (primarily here and XLR8 about OSX because it will be the first MAC OS I learn on...so I imagine I will not be annoyed for lack of spring loaded folders. Does anyone think that OSX is a good OS for people like me? I've had to mess around pretty extensively with PCs and NT in my Gov't job so I have a little bit of knowledge...but it usually leads to more frustration.

I'm tired of hating my computer and I have little tolerance and patience for some of the crap the Wintel machines do on a regular basis.

(Nice use of Mac vernacular, eh?

Any suggestions for my new adventure? I'm also logged into the Apple site right now to buy my new G4 Quicksilver (867). Any ideas if I should buy the apple protection plan to cover my 17" Apple flat monitor and other hardware...or is it just another way for apple to make $$? From what I've seen of OSX on the Apple website and quicktime demos it looks pretty kick ass and is way superior to any graphics I've seen through Wintel.

Cheers!
  • Reply 16 of 28
    First timer here as well. I ordered mine last Friday, and I don't expect it until mid February. Till then I get to read up on the Aqua UI and the design aspects of this machine. It will be the first time I have a good complier on a primarily windowed interface, and I look forward to working with this platform. It seems the APIs are nice and clean and worth looking into for development.
  • Reply 17 of 28
    Hi all. I am from Philadelphia (Amman), Jordan. I would like to ask the people in this thread that migrated from the Wintel word : What made make the move? What is the most compelling reason, and where from your experience so far in the Mac world, is the Mac superior to the PC/Windows World?
  • Reply 18 of 28
    newnew Posts: 3,244member
    well... I made the move long time ago... It wasn't that hard of a choice back then. If you wanted to do graphics and design, you had to have a mac... Nowadays you can do most of the same stuff on a PC, but there is no doubt in my mind that the mac is the superior tool. OSX came just in time for me. I feel like a kid again, something new to learn every day.
  • Reply 19 of 28
    Welcome, friends, to the somewhat cultish, often eccentric, always more reliable than Windows world of Macintosh.

The first computer I ever set my hands on was a Macintosh SE w/an external hard drive that weighed more than the PB I have now I was 4 years old, and that was 15 years ago. Since then I have owned an SE/HD, a PM 7200/90, an iMac DV 400 (Lime ) and my current TiBook 500. It makes me happy to see people cross over from the dark side ( as I look at my roommate's black Dell, it occurs to me, maybe there's a reason the new Macs are white ) I have a friend who has ordered the new SD iMac. When it arrives, he will remove his HP Pavilion from his desk (one of my friends suggested he wash his hands after doing that and before touching the iMac ) and replace it with the iLamp. Frankly, I'm jealous, it almost (note, almost) makes me wish Macs actually encountered problems, then I would be able to help him out and get to use his new toy

Anyway, I have rambled long enough. Again, "Welcome to Macintosh"
  • Reply 20 of 28
    [quote]Originally posted by elmousa68:

<strong>What made make the move? What is the most compelling reason, and where from your experience so far in the Mac world, is the Mac superior to the PC/Windows World?</strong><hr></blockquote>

Although Apple's hardware is really cool, I switched primarily because of OS X. I am a UNIX and Windows programmer, and always felt that both have major glaring weaknesses. UNIX is a very well engineered platform, so it is great for programming and it's a great server platform. However, UNIX's command line dependent interface is hard for non "geeks" to pick up. Windows is easy to use, but is the epitomy of terrible software design and is a poor development platform. So after years of wondering why "power" and "ease of use" were mutually exclusive features in an operating system, I was very impressed when I tried Mac OS X.

I've become more impressed since buying my first Mac (iBook) six months ago. Everyone knows that Macs look cool, but Apple really does things the "right way" on the technical side too. For instance, they embraced great third party technologies like OpenGL, USB, and Java. And they aren't afraid to throw out old technologies in hopes of developing something way better (Mac OS X, Cocoa, FireWire). On the other hand, Microsoft won't promote any other company's technologys even if they are far superior (OpenGL). And they are obsessed with maintaining backwards compatibility with their old APIs. This backwards compability is especially a problem because it has created one of the nastiest set of API's ever developed by a company of Microsoft's size and resources. Ultimately, this is what makes Win32 apps and the Windows Operating System so unstable and insecure. This is also why Windows will continue to suck for the next decade while Apple will continue to move forward.