PC user gone Mac!

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 28
    hobohobo Posts: 5member
    Hello iKnow,

Congrats dude on your defection from the Dark Side. Why has Apple withstood the tests of time against the multitude of Wintel boxes out there? Simple: because Apple has always been the inovator of great technology and style.

WELCOME across iKnow - the force is now with you!

• Reply 22 of 28
    Welcome to the Mac, iKnow!

I assume that you have already done sufficient research into the pros and cons about the Mac platform, but perhaps this would be a good time to get any of your remaining doubts answered.

I hope you enjoy your Mac experience!
  • Reply 23 of 28
    [quote]Originally posted by elmousa68:

<strong>Hi all. I am from Philadelphia (Amman), Jordan. I would like to ask the people in this thread that migrated from the Wintel word : What made make the move? What is the most compelling reason, and where from your experience so far in the Mac world, is the Mac superior to the PC/Windows World?</strong><hr></blockquote>

I can tell you I used a Mac since childhood and switched to a PC in college - Mac seemed to be failing. I actually became a computer tech whatever afterwards, and after three years of fixing problems that usually related to crappy OS design - I bought an iMac bacause I new what Mac OSX was (I used BeOS in the past) and wanted that. I hate &lt; OS9 and wouldn't be here without OSX. If Jobs hadn't come back and pushed NeXT and cool design to the forefront - we probably wouldn't even be here.

As for my experiences, I couldn't be happier. I have had ZERO real problems with OSX at home or on my iBook at work (which makes a better network troubleshooting tool than my win2k wprkstations and servers). But the best example of success is the little web movie I made of my nieces and nehews with iMovie over a weekend for my sisters in another state. All on a little 450 MHz iMac! I didn't even want to throw it through the window, which is my typical response to Windows multimedia apps.

<a href="http://homepage.mac.com/batii"; target="_blank">web page</a>

Here is the link - aren't they cute? Now I'm bragging family, time to shutup...
  • Reply 24 of 28
    Please bear with. I have one (actually two) more questions.

1. from my experience using Wintel, it seems to me that without the internet is one thing and with it is another. I mean almost all developers on the net promote apps for Wintel while they seldom provide a Mac equivalent. I think that has a bearing on a decision to convert, also

2. If windows sucks; is it because of the hardware, i.e. is Windows unsuitable for the IBM/PC Architecture, and if so in what sense? (Long breath here)
  • Reply 25 of 28
    idudeidude Posts: 352member
    Glad to see so many people switching. There may be hope for the world after all!

[quote]Originally posted by Dan-O:

<strong>Does anyone think that OSX is a good OS for people like me?

Any suggestions for my new adventure? I'm also logged into the Apple site right now to buy my new G4 Quicksilver (867). Any ideas if I should buy the apple protection plan to cover my 17" Apple flat monitor and other hardware...or is it just another way for apple to make $$? From what I've seen of OSX on the Apple website and quicktime demos it looks pretty kick ass and is way superior to any graphics I've seen through Wintel.

</strong><hr></blockquote>

OS Ten (X) is great for begining Mac users. It's super simple, crash proof (very important), and just awesome. It really is kick ass. My dad last year started using a Mac (OS X) and he found it very simple and a almost seemless transition. Of course, he had a lot of trouble with windows, so anything would have been better. I'd buy the extended warranty. It's one thing if you're like a lot of us and can do a lot of troubleshooting by ourselves, it's another if you've never used a mac and find using it an adventure, let alone fixing it, because they do break. $250 is a lot of $$, but it's worth it.

[quote]2. If windows sucks; is it because of the hardware, i.e. is Windows unsuitable for the IBM/PC Architecture, and if so in what sense? (Long breath here)

<hr></blockquote>

It's not the hardware that makes windows suck. It's windows. The hardware is planty good (except the P4) but Microsoft doesn't care about making windows good. Windows would be unsuitable for any architecture.

I forgot to say that I have also converted a PC dude. My uncle is lusting over an iMac and will be getting one very soon. I can just see the growing market share!

[ 02-02-2002: Message edited by: iDude ]</p>
  • Reply 26 of 28
    [quote]<strong>1. I mean almost all developers on the net promote apps for Wintel while they seldom provide a Mac equivalent. </strong><hr></blockquote>

Yes, to be fair, there are currently many more applications for Windows. But I think many developers will start migrating to OS X. Developers don't like coding on a convoluted platform like Windows. For instance, after showing OS X and Cocoa to my programmer friends, they all want to get a Mac too. Plus, don't forget that Mac OS X is built on top of a UNIX kernel. Many UNIX developers (like myself) are making the switch and many UNIX apps are being ported to Mac OS X. And if your favorite UNIX app is not ported, it's not hard to port it yourself. Much of the time, all you have to do is grab the source and compile it.

[quote]<strong>2. If windows sucks; is it because of the hardware, i.e. is Windows unsuitable for the IBM/PC Architecture, and if so in what sense? (Long breath here)</strong><hr></blockquote>

Sure, the x86's evolution may have contributed to the "suckiness" of the Windows operating system. But IMHO Windows sucks mainly because Microsoft just isn't very good at software design. Frankly, the design of their APIs is totally unprofessional. Obviously, as they have become more dominant, Microsoft has been able to hire some better designers. But their need to maintain backwards compatibility has kept Microsoft from doing the redesigning and "refactoring" of Windows that is really needed.

BTW, did you read <a href="http://gcn.com/vol1_no1/daily-updates/17874-1.html"; target="_blank">this related article</a>? Microsoft just announced a one month moratorium on new coding across all of their software products. For the next month, they will not implement new features on any of their products. They will only clean up code and fix bugs. I welcome their efforts, but I don't think it will help much for the reasons stated above.
  • Reply 27 of 28
    spartspart Posts: 2,060member
    I too converted from the dark side in 1998 when the new iMac came out, which is when I really started to learn about the machines and deduce that OS 8.5 was around 5 million times easier to use than Windows 98. Right now im using OS X and a 500MHz iMac, and it's better than it's ever been before. Since I installed OS X in October, my machine hasn't crashed once (bar the times I've squirmingly booted into 9). I am also finding that no matter how complicated OS X is, it is nowhere near as bad as Windows still is (I play with an Xp machine at school sometimes).
  • Reply 28 of 28
    Congratulations on converting to Mac!

Now is a great time to make the switch, with OS X here Apple finally has an OS that is clearly superior in every way to Windows. I've been a Mac user for years, and OS X reminds me of the first time I used a Mac. Exploring a new OS can be lots of fun on a Mac! Also, I think new users can appreciate OS X more than old Mac users, because the old Mac croakers all seem to be set in their ways, and hate the change that OS X brings. But use OS X with an open mind, and you'll be impressed.

There are also, finally, many apps available for OS X. Over the summer I think we'll be seeing a nice flow of new applications, and old apps being ported over to carbon. Yes there is more software for Windows, but most of it is crapware. Much of the quality software is available for both Mac and Windows, and much of the Mac-only software is very high quality and of course, windows users are left out! I work in the life sciences, and in this field I come across many apps that are Mac only (and awesome, too!), and in the cases where apps are available for both Mac and Windows, the Mac version is far superior 90% of the time. Something about the Mac attracts a certain quality that is missing for Windows.

For you converts, there will definitely be an adjustment period, but hopefully everything goes smoothly for you. That new iMac is a great choice, not much to go wrong there, and you get to use an Apple LCD display, which are the highest quality LCDs around.

Good luck!