How long until no seller stocks CRT iMacs?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Anybody know just how many old-fashioned iMacs are left in sellers' hands? It would be interesting o know how long until Apple is COMPLETELY LCDlbased.

I bet there are 2 or 3 months of supply left on the shelves. At the rates that iMacs sell at sub-entyr-level-only, that is.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    It appears that production is still continuing. Found this on MacNN:

SCMP, an Asia Hong Kong news group, notes that while Quanta, a Taiwanese manufacturer for Apple notebooks (as well as Dell and HP) has won the contract to manufacture the new iMac, Hon Hai Precision Industries will continue producing monitors for the older iMacs. (We previously noted that both the $799 and $999 iMac would continue to be sold at the Apple Store, through education channels, and possibly at other retail locations.)
  • Reply 2 of 11
    I'm pretty sure they'll continue to sell CRT-based iMacs for at least another year or so, until they can get the LCD models below $1,000. It makes sense, especially for schools & others on a limited budget.

Besides, for all of Apples' fuss about "hasta la vista, CRT" last spring, they DO still sell 2 free-standing CRT models--a 17" and a 21"--as BTO options with the G4 towers (they're kind of buried in the peripherals section, but they're there). And this is a wise thing--there should always be a low-end option for those who just *can't* afford the higher-end stuff.
  • Reply 3 of 11
    Current stocks of the CRT iMacs are nearly sold out with two new models now offered. The CRT iMacs will be here as long as there is a demand for them. Apple is ordering enough CRT tubes for 800,000 classic iMacs. See my post of today at:

<a href="http://forums.appleinsider.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=2&t=000225"; target="_blank">http://forums.appleinsider.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi? ubb=get_topic&f=2&t=000225</a>

[ 01-15-2002: Message edited by: MacsRGood4U ]</p>
  • Reply 4 of 11
    murbotmurbot Posts: 5,262member
    I honestly considered buying a 600 MHz Snow iMac instead of the new G4 model. I still think they're a pretty good deal, and the processor still has some bite to it.

However, once the $1299 model of the G4 iMac starts to ship in a couple months or so, it'll look less attractive.
  • Reply 5 of 11
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member
    [quote]Originally posted by murbot:

<strong>I honestly considered buying a 600 MHz Snow iMac instead of the new G4 model. I still think they're a pretty good deal, and the processor still has some bite to it.

</strong><hr></blockquote>

murbot, how could you think about that?
  • Reply 6 of 11
    Well, I can get a 600 MHz iMac for $1500 CDN here, and the new G4 iMac is $2900 CDN.

Quite the price difference.

Don't worry, I still have my Infected Mushroom on order.
  • Reply 7 of 11
    fran441fran441 Posts: 3,715member
    When Macworld came around, I was feeling bad for my younger cousin who got a CRT iMac for Christmas. But when they announced the prices for the LCD iMacs and when they would be shipping, I was relieved that he got his Indigo iMac in December.

Why? The $1299 iMac doesn't ship until March, and even then, they might not have been able to afford the extra cost.

The G3 iMacs are still great machines. I think Apple will have them around until at least this time next year, and maybe even longer for the education channel.
  • Reply 8 of 11

<strong>Well, I can get a 600 MHz iMac for $1500 CDN here, and the new G4 iMac is $2900 CDN.

Quite the price difference.

Don't worry, I still have my Infected Mushroom on order. </strong><hr></blockquote>

Well with prices like that if you would've gotten the G3 iMac your purchase would've been justified.
  • Reply 9 of 11
    matsumatsu Posts: 6,558member
    A little Apples and oranges on that price comparo there Murbot. Why not compare the 600 iMac CRT to the next model up instead of the top-o-the-line? Then it's 1549 to 2049 (in Canadian Pesos, could be worse I guess; at least it's not Argentina )

That's still a significant difference but it's more managable.
  • Reply 10 of 11
    I know, that's true. That's why I did say:

However, once the $1299 model of the G4 iMac starts to ship in a couple months or so, it'll look less attractive.

It definitely doesn't compare well to the low end G4 iMac. I think it's a great deal actually, a 24x burner? That's awesome.

Too bad it doesn't ship for 2 months + though.

• Reply 11 of 11

<strong>

It definitely doesn't compare well to the low end G4 iMac. I think it's a great deal actually, a 24x burner? That's awesome.

</strong><hr></blockquote>

Yep. Really awsome. Apple actually has a fast drive.