OSX- Screen resize issues?

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Heyas- when I select a monitor resolution in OSX (Tiger)- it pops up using only 2/3rds of the screen. So I manually resize the desktop using my monitors controls.

Great, now I have my desired resolution and OSX fits perfectly on the whole sreen. THEN I open up Quake 3 - and the game loads up in the smaller real estate. Whats going on?

ps- dual 2.3, 6800 w/ LG 910b 19" CRT.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member
    Your monitor and graphics card are having problems syncing with eachother. Either one could be at fault.

It seems that the pair are correctly handling the vertical refresh rate but not the horizontal refresh rate. When you see a number like 70hz or 85hz, this refers to the number of times per second that the screen is drawn. This is the vertical refresh rate.

The horizontal refresh rate is seldom customized or even brought to the user's attention. This is the amount of time it takes the gun to scan across your screen from left to right. There is a small gap in time before it begins drawing the next line. Your monitor and graphics card have the right vertical refresh rate but horizontally, the monitor is thinking that there should be more data per line and is drawing the data in too small of a space.

Unfortunately, there is no easy way to fix this in OS X that I know of. Hardware replacement might be your only option.
  • Reply 2 of 2
    quambquamb Posts: 143member
    Hey cheers for the info. Not good news though.

Ended up being more then just games, when I restart os x, the screen changes to the smaller size (the 17" within a 19" issue).

Rang apple support, and ended up deleting system prefs. Worked a treat when restarting- though not when turn computer off and on. And quake3 still is buggy.

If actually go back to display prefs, and play around a bit, it all of a sudden corrects itself and BAM the desktop fills the whole screen. Wierd!

Anyway- will keep trying to fix.