HP adds shuffle to its iPod lineup

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Hewlett-Packard on Friday rounded out its lineup of digital music players, adding the Apple iPod shuffle to its mix.

HP will offer both models: the $99.99 512 megabyte version, which holds up to 120 songs, and the $129.99 1 gigabyte version, which holds up to 240 songs.

Users can charge and transfer music from their PC by plugging the Apple iPod shuffle from HP directly into a USB port. The device also doubles as a portable USB flash drive to back up personal files or exchange them between computers.

In addition to the Apple iPod shuffle from HP, HP also offers 4 GB and 6 GB Apple iPod minis; 20 GB and 60 GB Apple iPods; 10-packs of HP Printable Tattoos for the iPod; and 5-packs of HP Printable Tattoos for the iPod mini.

HP's Total Care customer support covers all Apple iPod from HP models. This includes one year of phone support and a one-year limited warranty. The Apple iPod shuffle from HP is available today to consumers in the United States and Canada online at hpshopping.com and is expected soon at major retailers, including Radio Shack, Sears and Wal-Mart.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 44
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    I read somewhere, a few months ago that Hp's sales of iPods had slipped to about 3% of total iPod sales. It was 16% earlier.

I'm not sure I believe that though, or why would they expand the lineup?

I'd like to see their numbers broken out.
  • Reply 2 of 44
    synosyno Posts: 33member
    why does HP sell apple ipods, and whats the diffrence?
  • Reply 3 of 44
    benroethigbenroethig Posts: 2,782member
    It's still a good deal for both Apple and HP.
  • Reply 4 of 44
    kasperkasper Posts: 941member, administrator
    Quote:

Originally posted by syno

Nothing cept the engraving on the metal plate in the back of the players.

It gives HP a music player (the best and most popular) to sell and make $ of off without having to invest R&D.

For Apple, they have to share the profit margin but they gain a huge new market and outlet for the players and effectively assure themselves they won't have to compete with HP all at the same time... among other things.

It's a win-win for both sides.

Best,

-K
  • Reply 5 of 44
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Kasper

Nothing cept the engraving on the metal plate in the back of the players.

It gives HP a music player (the best and most popular) to sell and make $ of off without having to invest R&D.

For Apple, they have to share the profit margin but they gain a huge new market and outlet for the players and effectively assure themselves they won't have to compete with HP all at the same time... among other things.

Best,

-K

very true, look at the iPaq, hardware wise it is one of the best palmtop devices ever, you wouldn't want those brains up against you in the portable music market where HP wouldnt be tied to he ball n' chain of a windows baced OS

(drifts off and dreams of an iPaq running Palm)
  • Reply 6 of 44
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    I think some of the original logic of this co-op was to get iPods into the hands of those who couldn't bring themselves to buy an exclusively Apple iPod. For whatever reason, there are probably some out there that think there's no way an Apple-only iPod could be compatible with their machine. An Apple iPod from HP, however: "Gosh, we've got an HP computer and that iPod is from HP. It'll work flawlessly!"

Go figure.
  • Reply 7 of 44
    Quote:

Originally posted by CosmoNut

I think some of the original logic of this co-op was to get iPods into the hands of those who couldn't bring themselves to buy an exclusively Apple iPod. For whatever reason, there are probably some out there that think there's no way an Apple-only iPod could be compatible with their machine. An Apple iPod from HP, however: "Gosh, we've got an HP computer and that iPod is from HP. It'll work flawlessly!"

Go figure.

That's certainly part of it. But it also gets them into dealers that Apple isn't already in.

The same idea is behind calling Filemaker inc. rather than Filemaker from Apple. Many corporate types wouldn't allow an Apple product into their shop. Nowhere to be found in any advertising or in any catalog carrying Filemaker is the word "Apple" present. It's always Filemaker inc.
  • Reply 8 of 44
    macfandavemacfandave Posts: 603member
    Quote:

Originally posted by syno

Remember during the years when South Africa had apartheid, we in America would buy diamonds from Holland or Germany? Have you heard of the diamond mines of Holland or Germany?!

Not that Apple is like apartheid-era South Africa, but there are some people that, for whatever insane reason, cannot bring themselves to buy an Apple product, but they will buy an HP product. I find it interesting that there is no effort to hide Apple's involvement in the product.

You do what you gotta do.
  • Reply 9 of 44
    mmmpiemmmpie Posts: 628member
    Yay, now Ill be able to get a shuffle from costco.

I hope HP start selling Macs as well

Heres a thought, if HP made their own player, what sort of market share do you think they would get? Seems to me that 3% of the market is pretty good, when their investment is basically zero.
  • Reply 10 of 44
    amac4meamac4me Posts: 282member
    Considering that Apple already has a "partnership" with HP to sell iPods, I would think that if Apple deciced to license OS X to PC manufacturers, HP might be the first one on the list.

Think about it ... a few weeks ago Michael Dell, the Chairman of Dell computer indicated that he would be open to selling PC's with OS X installed. Perhaps this is a sign to Apple that Dell might offer a better reseller proposition than HP. This attempt by Dell might be a ploy to get Apple to consider licensing OS X to Dell instead of HP.

Any thoughts?
  • Reply 11 of 44
    Quote:

Originally posted by mmmpie

Yay, now Ill be able to get a shuffle from costco.

I hope HP start selling Macs as well

Heres a thought, if HP made their own player, what sort of market share do you think they would get? Seems to me that 3% of the market is pretty good, when their investment is basically zero.

Remember, I'm not sure if that number is correct.

But if Hp were to make their own player, it would be a WMA player, or something else that would not be compatable with Apple's Fairplay. That would mean that they would have to compete in the non-iPod market, which at this time is 14% of the entire market as Apple's players (including Hp's) comprise 76%.

How would Hp, a late arrival, fare in that market? If they took 10% of it, that would only be 1.4% of the market in total.

They are doing much better now.
  • Reply 12 of 44
    mike12309mike12309 Posts: 135member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Kasper

Best,

-K

uhhh... compete with HP... HP hardly makes anything worth buying... you really think they could actually make a player that would stand a chance against the ipod where samsung, rio, sandisk, creative and sony have failed? If they would have entered the mp3 market if not for this deal id wish apple didnt make the deal, just to see what PoS HP makes, i already get a good laugh out of the Dell Jokebox, but that was always meant to be a joke -- huh? oh its jukebox? hmm...
  • Reply 13 of 44
    Quote:

Originally posted by mike12309

uhhh... compete with HP... HP hardly makes anything worth buying... you really think they could actually make a player that would stand a chance against the ipod where samsung, rio, sandisk, creative and sony have failed? If they would have entered the mp3 market if not for this deal id wish apple didnt make the deal, just to see what PoS HP makes, i already get a good laugh out of the Dell Jokebox, but that was always meant to be a joke -- huh? oh its jukebox? hmm...

Very good sarcasm

But Hp makes the best Pocket Pc's, by far the most popular.

Before you say how much you hate them, I'm telling you not to bother because it doesn't matter. Hp is good at that kind of thing. I've already made my feelings known about what Hp has thought about marketsharewise, and why they didn't do it. That still stands. They didn't want to compete either. They've stated that publicly so let's get off it.
  • Reply 14 of 44
    Quote:

Originally posted by melgross

Very good sarcasm

But Hp makes the best Pocket Pc's, by far the most popular.

Before you say how much you hate them, I'm telling you not to bother because it doesn't matter. Hp is good at that kind of thing. I've already made my feelings known about what Hp has thought about marketsharewise, and why they didn't do it. That still stands. They didn't want to compete either. They've stated that publicly so let's get off it.

pocket pc? thats *so* 2004.
  • Reply 15 of 44
    Quote:

pocket pc? thats *so* 2004.

Yeah, but most people still think of them that way.
  • Reply 16 of 44
    benroethigbenroethig Posts: 2,782member
    Quote:

uhhh... compete with HP... HP hardly makes anything worth buying...

Yet a lot of people do.
  • Reply 17 of 44
    Quote:

Originally posted by BenRoethig

Yet a lot of people do.

thats not my fault that people do dumb things. if people want to buy an HP ipod from walmart rather than an apple store or target so be it -- it means that they are giving up the ability to bring it for immediate service from the growing apple retail stores in favor of phone support from HP located right around the corner in New Delhi. (i refer to the fact that apple stores wont service HP ipods)

Seems silly to me. but considering the first question i get when selling ipods is: "will this work on a regular computer" or "will this work on my blazing fast new dell?" (i figure out a minute later this dell is 3 years old and suffering from a number of problems) im not surprised. People do stuff, most of it is irrational, the rest of the stuff is a fluke.
  • Reply 18 of 44
    Quote:

thats not my fault that people do dumb things. if people want to buy an HP ipod from walmart rather than an apple store or target so be it -- it means that they are giving up the ability to bring it for immediate service from the growing apple retail stores in favor of phone support from HP located right around the corner in New Delhi. (i refer to the fact that apple stores wont service HP ipods)

Seems silly to me. but considering the first question i get when selling ipods is: "will this work on a regular computer" or "will this work on my blazing fast new dell?" (i figure out a minute later this dell is 3 years old and suffering from a number of problems) im not surprised. People do stuff, most of it is irrational, the rest of the stuff is a fluke.

Except that there are very few Apple stores around. Most of the country, not to mention outside of the country don't have the benefit of going to Apple to buy these. Buy from Apple's web site and you still can't take it in. so what can most people do?

Are you saying that Apple should forgo a large percentage of sales and limit them to the Apple stores because they give "immediate service"? So Apple then has, what, one third of the possible sales that they have now?

How does this help anyone? I don't even understand what your last paragraph has to do with anything. So now Apple should only sell them to people with "blazing fast machines"?

What are you trying to say?
  • Reply 19 of 44
    macfandavemacfandave Posts: 603member
    Quote:

uhhh... compete with HP... HP hardly makes anything worth buying...

They used to make the world's best calculators. RPN rules! I still use my HP-41CX that I bought in 1984. The company seems to have gone in many different directions, but when it catered to its nerdy niche of scientists and engineers, it had a devoted, loyal customer base.

I've heard some RPN vs. algebraic debates that were nearly as vitriolic about the Mac vs. Windows debates.
  • Reply 20 of 44
    Quote:

Originally posted by macFanDave

They used to make the world's best calculators. RPN rules! I still use my HP-41CX that I bought in 1984. The company seems to have gone in many different directions, but when it catered to its nerdy niche of scientists and engineers, it had a devoted, loyal customer base.

I've heard some RPN vs. algebraic debates that were nearly as vitriolic about the Mac vs. Windows debates.

Yes, I used to do speaker filters and crossovers with their programmable models. Remember them? They had those short cards that were pulled through the top of the machine? What were the model numbers? HP-45?