best filesharing client?

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
what's the best filesharing client for use with mac OSX? i'm used to kazaalite.. if that helps at all.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 19
    bborofkabborofka Posts: 230member
    There's a lot out there, but I like Acquisition the best.
  • Reply 2 of 19
    where do i acquire it?
  • Reply 3 of 19
    cakecake Posts: 1,010member
    Bittorrent + Bits on Wheels for teh win!
  • Reply 4 of 19
    timf0rantimf0ran Posts: 17member
    The thing is, I have never used BitTorrent and for some reason it intimidates me. If I learned how to use it, that program sounds great.
  • Reply 5 of 19
    spiers69spiers69 Posts: 418member
    ive used LimeWire for YEARS now. It used to be really shit (hardly any songs, slow downloading, etc - but was all i had available). Now it's great.

It has improved so much.

You can search for some pretty obscure songs and find them

for albums i use .torrent files
  • Reply 6 of 19
    timf0rantimf0ran Posts: 17member
    maybe ill just do limewire
  • Reply 7 of 19
    aquisition is the easiest to use, plus although u are ment to pay, if you can put up with nag screens it works all the time, its uses the limewire network so the same files can be found
  • Reply 8 of 19
    cwestphacwestpha Posts: 48member
    Each network and application has its good and bad side.

If you want fast widely distributed downloads then a Bittorent client would be best. Personaly I recomend Azureus. Sure its java based, but it does the job and has plugins that allow you to do almost anything (RSS agrigation, time and ping sensitive speed settings, automated update IP blacklist, reviews, etc). It also has its own mini network to help when a tracker goes down for something.

Now if you want something that is less shared and speed isnt a concern I would say an eMule derivitive. All I know for OS X is aMule.

If sharing among your peers or freinds I would use something like DirectConnect like client.
  • Reply 9 of 19
    well i use exeem on windows which is like bittorrent
  • Reply 10 of 19
    cwestphacwestpha Posts: 48member
    Quote:

Originally posted by cdoverlaw

well i use exeem on windows which is like bittorrent

Exeem is mostly a tracker-less Bittorent. It has fewer people on the system and is a bit slower. They say that there is some Privacy protection with it, but its minimal. There is no IP masking and I would be there still isnt blacklist support.

P.S.

If you dont need the extra features in Azureus the Bits on wheels program is the best for OS X. I hope they start doing a plugin system or add advanced features before I get a new laptop.
  • Reply 11 of 19
    ipodandimacipodandimac Posts: 3,273member
    Quote:

Originally posted by cdoverlaw

aquisition is the easiest to use, plus although u are ment to pay, if you can put up with nag screens it works all the time, its uses the limewire network so the same files can be found

the developer is an idiot for trying to sell that app to people who steal files.
  • Reply 12 of 19
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member
    I paid him and felt all warm and fuzzy afterward.

Perhaps more time spent outdoors or with friends would help with your pent up anger.
  • Reply 13 of 19
    ipodandimacipodandimac Posts: 3,273member
    Quote:

Originally posted by dfiler

I paid him and felt all warm and fuzzy afterward.

Perhaps more time spent outdoors or with friends would help with your pent up anger.

trust me, i spend plenty of of time outside and with friends.
  • Reply 14 of 19
    gongon Posts: 2,437member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ipodandimac

the developer is an idiot for trying to sell that app to people who steal files.

I'm planning to send money to the guy who makes Azureus, in fact.
  • Reply 15 of 19
    gene cleangene clean Posts: 3,481member
    ipodandimac, there is no need to inject your copyright opinions in every thread. We know your position on that particular issue, and we accept that you have a different opinion. But calling people idiots because they write P2P programs is very childish.

P2P is used for entirely legal purposes, and that's its primary purpose. Calling the developers idiots because somebody out there decided to download warez using a particular P2P programs shows a lack of understanding of the entire process.
  • Reply 16 of 19
    gongon Posts: 2,437member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Gene Clean

ipodandimac, there is no need to inject your copyright opinions in every thread. We know your position on that particular issue, and we accept that you have a different opinion. But calling people idiots because they write P2P programs is very childish.

P2P is used for entirely legal purposes, and that's its primary purpose. Calling the developers idiots because somebody out there decided to download warez using a particular P2P programs shows a lack of understanding of the entire process.

I thought it was a really good point, actually. Not very many people whose only software vendor is "Pegleg Joe's 0-day Warez and Booty" will pay for their P2P app when they get everything else without paying.

In addition to that, it's hard to get people to pay when there are P2P apps that are either totally free, or have little nag builtin like Azureus.

Then there are those like me who regularly infringe on copyright but still keep some things legit - like every piece of software on my computer. *shrug*
  • Reply 17 of 19
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member
    Should the developer not accept money for his program simply because many users might not pay for it?

The problem with his post was that he called the developer an 'idiot'.

• Reply 18 of 19
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    USE POISONED

It's the answer to everything. You can download from Limewire, Gnutella, and FastTrack (aka Kazaa). It's well organized, stable, integrated with iTunes, and offers you the choice between Metal and Aqua.
  • Reply 19 of 19
    on os x how much more vulnerable to virus' and spyware would running a p2p be (specifically limewire) and has anyone had problems running it.