Simple home network - help needed

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Hi,

Right now I have a G4 (dual 450 panther) connected to broadband internet via a USB modem. I also have it connected via enternet crossover cable to my old pc for file sharing. my usb modem is pants and I was looking at getting an ethernet one. however, this would use up my ethernet port. basically I want to be able to continue with broadband on my mac only now on ethernet but at the same time connect to my pc via etherrnet for file sharing. I don't want to share my internet account or use my pc for the web - just file sharing. I also don't want to go wireless. can anyone advise me in layman's terms as to how to go about doing this?

thanx

Comments

• Reply 1 of 14
    lundylundy Posts: 4,466member
    Quote:

Originally posted by spooky

Hi,

Right now I have a G4 (dual 450 panther) connected to broadband internet via a USB modem. I also have it connected via enternet crossover cable to my old pc for file sharing. my usb modem is pants and I was looking at getting an ethernet one. however, this would use up my ethernet port. basically I want to be able to continue with broadband on my mac only now on ethernet but at the same time connect to my pc via etherrnet for file sharing. I don't want to share my internet account or use my pc for the web - just file sharing. I also don't want to go wireless. can anyone advise me in layman's terms as to how to go about doing this?

thanx

Wired router is the way to go. Netgear and Linksys work with Mac very well. You plug the cable modem into the router and then the two computers into the router, all with standard ethernet CAT-5 cable. Filesharing will work, and you get to lose the sucky USB modem.
  • Reply 2 of 14
    spookyspooky Posts: 504member
    Hi lundy,

thanx for your reply. I have a query tho and forgive me if I'm being stupid. you say :

"You plug the cable modem into the router and then the two computers into the router, all with standard ethernet CAT-5 cable"

I don't have a cable modem. my usb modem plugs straight into my normal wall telephone socket and to my mac via usb. My broadband is not via cable. does this make a difference? how would I connect to the internet via a router?
  • Reply 3 of 14
    skatmanskatman Posts: 609member
    Why not get another USB modem? It seems to work for you. Why change things? Do you have something else in mind?
  • Reply 4 of 14
    Its just that most people I speak to tell me that ethernet is the way to go to prevent problems. My USB modem frequently hangs and the only option I have is to restart the machine!
  • Reply 5 of 14
    o4blackwrxo4blackwrx Posts: 383member
    Quote:

Its just that most people I speak to tell me that ethernet is the way to go to prevent problems. My USB modem frequently hangs and the only option I have is to restart the machine!

What modem do you currently have for your broadband? It should have 1 USB & 1 Ethernet on the back. Then you plug an ethernet cable into the moden to the router. Then from each computer to the router. Then you are all done.
  • Reply 6 of 14
    Hi,

I have a speedtouch 330 (which came with my BT broadband package) and it only has a usb port. there are no other ports on the modem at all.

here is a link :

Speedtouch modem

thanx

spooky
  • Reply 7 of 14
    Quote:

Hi lundy,

thanx for your reply. I have a query tho and forgive me if I'm being stupid. you say :

"You plug the cable modem into the router and then the two computers into the router, all with standard ethernet CAT-5 cable"

I don't have a cable modem. my usb modem plugs straight into my normal wall telephone socket and to my mac via usb. My broadband is not via cable. does this make a difference? how would I connect to the internet via a router?

OK, you must have DSL.

You say later that there is only USB on your modem, so it is a USB DSL modem.

The router still works the same way - get an ethernet DSL modem, then get a wired ethernet router. Or get a combo wired DSL modem/router.

Then you plug the phone line into the modem, then the modem's ethernet into the "WAN" (internet) port on the router, and then plug the two computers into 2 of the 4 "LAN" (local network) ports on the router.

Since DSL requires PPPoE, if you have had this turned on in Mac OS X Network Preferences, turn it off there and follow the instructions that come with the router to turn it on in the router.
  • Reply 8 of 14
    thanx for the replis guys,

looks like I'll have to try a combo wired dsl/modem router. can anyone recommend an inexpensive one that is known to work well with macs?

thanx

spooky
  • Reply 9 of 14
    Thanx for the replies guys, can anyone recommend an inexpensive combo wired dsl/modem router that works well with macs?
  • Reply 10 of 14
    Quote:

thanx for the replis guys,

looks like I'll have to try a combo wired dsl/modem router. can anyone recommend an inexpensive one that is known to work well with macs?

thanx

spooky

I don't think you can go wrong with Netgear. I used this one until I switched to cable: http://netgear.com/products/details/DG632.php is a wired combo router/DSL modem supports 8MB down and has the usual 4 ports plus the DSL input port.

Try the usual online retailers for prices. You don't want an el-cheapo no-name unit, because if something doesn't work there is nobody to ask.

P.S. NewEgg has it for $67.99.
  • Reply 11 of 14
    skatmanskatman Posts: 609member
    Quote:

I don't think you can go wrong with Netgear.

You can. New Netgear stuff is really unstable. I used to trust Netgear, but after a few bad experiences, I switched to D-Link and never looked back.
  • Reply 12 of 14
    Quote:

Originally posted by skatman

You can. New Netgear stuff is really unstable. I used to trust Netgear, but after a few bad experiences, I switched to D-Link and never looked back.

D-Link is good too.
  • Reply 13 of 14
    daveleedavelee Posts: 245member
    Quote:

Thanx for the replies guys, can anyone recommend an inexpensive combo wired dsl/modem router that works well with macs?

I am currently feeling the love from Belkin. I have also had a reasonable experience with Linksys.

I would maybe look into how much extra cost a wireless modem/router would be, in case you wanted to go wireless in future.
  • Reply 14 of 14
    Thanx for all your help guys. I guess a trip to the shops is now in order!!

thanx again.

I'll post back when I'm set up and let you know how it went!