dead mac mini

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Hi all,

I did a dumb thing. Firstly, I broke my iPod dock. More specifically, the wire ripped out of the plug. Then I did probably the dumbest thing I've ever done, which is not realise that is what happened and attempt to put the wire back into the Line Out hole. The cover was off by that point, in my defense, but still quite stupid.

Anyhow, it was still connected to my Mac Mini at that point, which was running, and as soon as the wire went near, I saw a spark and the Mini went off never to be turned on again. Is there anything I can do to fix it, or is it dead forever? I've tried resetting the PRAM with no response, which of course I didn't think would work anyway.

Thanks. :/

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    e1618978e1618978 Posts: 6,075member
    If what you mean is that you connected line AC voltage (120V) to your audio line in, then it could be permainantly dead.

This is beyond self-help forums, you really need to take it to an apple store or a tech to see what can be done. I have had things damaged by lightning surges and partially survive, and other stuff destroyed by falling off a desk. You can't really tell till you open it up and look at it.
  • Reply 2 of 2
    Well, I basically stuck the open end of a firewire plug that was in the Mini into the audio Line Out port on the iPod dock. In any case, I will bring it somewhere and find out how much it'll cost to fix. If it ends up being very expensive, or at least somewhat expensive, I'll probably end up fixing and selling the Mini somewhere. It isn't maddeningly slow, but a little too slow for me. I may go for an iMac G5 soon.

Thanks for your quick reply.

Quote:

Originally posted by e1618978

If what you mean is that you connected line AC voltage (120V) to your audio line in, then it could be permainantly dead.

This is beyond self-help forums, you really need to take it to an apple store or a tech to see what can be done. I have had things damaged by lightning surges and partially survive, and other stuff destroyed by falling off a desk. You can't really tell till you open it up and look at it.