New iPods announced

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
First with the specs

http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPL....0.1.0.0.0.1.0

And no iBooks!!!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 25
    All iPods (except for Shuffle and Mini) are now in color...
  • Reply 2 of 25
    proxyproxy Posts: 232member
    wow.. it's true. White iPod range is now 20 and 60 gig, both with colour screens. Box comes with USB cable and AC adaptor.
  • Reply 3 of 25
    arty50arty50 Posts: 201member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Proxy

wow.. it's true. White iPod range is now 20 and 60 gig, both with colour screens. Box comes with USB cable and AC adaptor.

I need an 80 damnit!!!! Oh well, guess I won't be buying one for a while still.
  • Reply 4 of 25
    marzetta7marzetta7 Posts: 1,323member
    Anyone have an inkling as to whether or not the iTunes 4.9 software that the iPod has been released with, will come with a release of QuickTime 7.0 for Windows? I keep thinking it is just a matter of time until QuickTime 7.0 will come out and it just never happens. July maybe?
  • Reply 5 of 25
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member
    Interesting.

Seems like a rather wide gap in the product matrix between 20gigs and 60gigs...
  • Reply 6 of 25
    mynameheremynamehere Posts: 560member
    Interesting...nothing really new in the case design though...
  • Reply 7 of 25
    Just came online to order one for my dad and saw the update. It looks great i'm sure he will fall in love with it.
  • Reply 8 of 25
    19841984 Posts: 955member
    Just an interim update until the 5G models are introduced this fall. Should look something like this:

1GB iPod Shuffle

2GB iPod Shuffle

6GB iPod mini

10GB iPod mini

20GB iPod

20GB iPod U2

40GB iPod

60GB iPod

80GB iPod

The iPod mini will get a color screen. I think the 80GB model will be quite different from the rest.
  • Reply 9 of 25
    junkyard dawgjunkyard dawg Posts: 2,801member
    What a boring update.

I'm not buying an iPod until Apple includes a removable, and replaceable, battery a la laptop computers. Limiting the iPod to a non-replaceable, non-serviceable battery is a crude but effective attempt at making the iPod a disposable device; disposable is fine for a cheap flash memory mp3 player like the iShuffle, but for a hard drive-based multimedia player that sells for $200 - $400, a gadget should be designed and built to last.

Apple would profit from sales of extra battery packs for iPods, since there's got to be hordes of iPod users who would love to be able to use their iPods while swapping a supply of batteries limited only by how much money they want to give to Apple. Apple would even profit from battery charger sales, since everyone would want to use their iPod while charging the backup battery(s).

The downside of course is that an iPod with a replaceable battery would be a bit clunkier compared to the current iPods, but Apple doesn't have to redesign all iPods to have battery packs - they could even offer it on a single model! I'd buy it for sure, no matter how much more clunky and ugly Apple made it. For Apple, the perceived downside would obviously be that they would lose money because consumers wouldn't replace their iPods as often. Maybe, but I would think that higher quality, longer lasting iPods would only result in greater market penetration as the more satisfied iPod owners evangelize the product to yet more Joe Twelvepacks. And Apple would be able to sell more iPods to cheap bastards like me, who eye gadgets with skepticism and heavily consider how soon the gadget will end up in a landfill.
  • Reply 10 of 25
    mynameheremynamehere Posts: 560member
    Quote:

Originally posted by 1984

Just an interim update until the 5G models are introduced this fall. Should look something like this:

1GB iPod Shuffle

2GB iPod Shuffle

6GB iPod mini

10GB iPod mini

20GB iPod

20GB iPod U2

40GB iPod

60GB iPod

80GB iPod

The iPod mini will get a color screen. I think the 80GB model will be quite different from the rest.

I think they'll keep the 512MB Shuffle in order to be competitive with other makers of flash mp3 players

<ramble>

I'd also like to see Apple introduce it's own branded flash drive (eg: PNY Attache etc etc etc)

</ramble>
  • Reply 11 of 25
    farvefarve Posts: 69member
    What i freaking shit upgrade. To me Apple is playing it a bit safe. I want new revolutionizing produtcts. these are getting old and boring. Bigger harddrives won't matter, anyone with more than 60gb of music and phlotos needs to do a bit of cleaning up.

Now why can't they intoduse some wireless features.

Bluetooth 2 would be greate for headphones, on the other hand WiFi would enable it to go wireless and a bigger screen (a la PSP) would be great for checking out pix.

Anyone else?

Viktor
  • Reply 12 of 25
    Quote:

Originally posted by tapple2002

First with the specs

http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPL....0.1.0.0.0.1.0

And no iBooks!!!

i was hoping for an ipod mini... oh well... anyways... sorry bout the ibooks w/ no updates.... i kind of want a new powerbook but wont get that til i leave for college... l8rss...
  • Reply 13 of 25
    hydehyde Posts: 9member
    I quite agree with you. I remember in a press release by Toshiba that they would be releasing at single platter 40gb by 2Q and an 80gb by 3Q. It's only a matter of time now. When would you guys say? Paris Expo hopefully?

Quote:

1GB iPod Shuffle

2GB iPod Shuffle

6GB iPod mini

10GB iPod mini

20GB iPod

20GB iPod U2

40GB iPod

60GB iPod

80GB iPod

• Reply 14 of 25
    badtzbadtz Posts: 949member
    I ALMOST bought an iPod today ... but the iPod mini's weren't updated.

.... soon
  • Reply 15 of 25
    kwsanderskwsanders Posts: 327member
    Quote:

Originally posted by marzetta7

I keep thinking it is just a matter of time until QuickTime 7.0 will come out and it just never happens. July maybe?

QuickTime 7.0 for Windows has been available for about two weeks or so.
  • Reply 16 of 25
    telomartelomar Posts: 1,804member
    QT7 for Windows is a preview only. It's effectively still Beta software.
  • Reply 17 of 25
    spiers69spiers69 Posts: 418member
    Quote:

6GB iPod mini

10GB iPod mini

Yes! im in need of a 10GB Mini (atleast). How much do you think they'll cost? And when's the release date?

That's all
  • Reply 18 of 25
    Quote:

1GB iPod Shuffle

2GB iPod Shuffle

6GB iPod mini

10GB iPod mini

20GB iPod

20GB iPod U2

40GB iPod

60GB iPod

80GB iPod

why would someone need 80GB for an ipod?
  • Reply 19 of 25
    icfireballicfireball Posts: 2,594member
    With the iPod Shuffle 1 GB at $129, expect a 2GB soon for $150
  • Reply 20 of 25
    19841984 Posts: 955member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ragingloogie

Why would someone need 80GB for an ipod?

The iPod is not just a music player. It's also a portable hard drive. It's amazing how many people overlook this fact. You can use it to store your files. Music, photos, videos, whatever. You can even boot off of it if in an emergency.