How long before Apple releases "iPodcast"?

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Podcasting is off to a roaring start. Of course it has been building momentum and Apple has just "jumped on the wave". While there is nothing the (inherently) ties Podcasting to iTunes and iPod, Apple just made it about 10 times easier for mom, dad and "Aunt Martha" to get them...increasing the utility of iPod for many current (or potential) owners.

Now...the next step...

Perhaps Apple whips out a small, simple iPodcast application (maybe it is a hardware/software bundle) that makes creating podcasts as easy as making Keynote presentations, Pages newsletters, or iMovie movies.

Of course Garage Band is perfect, but perhaps not even simple (focused?) enough for those wishing to just do podcasts. Apple even provides a great "recipe" for doing just that.

Maybe a stripped down, simplified, "wizard-ized" GarageBand could be "iPodcast"...enabling anyone to become an instant podcaster.

Apple can only benefit from enabling as many content providers (small and large) as possible to join the "revolution"...especially if they get them (by default) podcasting in AAC.

The whole thing could be integrated with iTMS (auto-publish), possibly even .Mac (podcast hosting).

It would provide "templates" for different podcast "styles"...using GarageBand beneath the sheets for putting the whole thing together.

Thoughts?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    neutrino23neutrino23 Posts: 1,562member
    Looks like Apple is already starting to do this.

Podcasting with QT7

http://www.apple.com/quicktime/tutor...odcasting.html

Podcasting with Garageband

http://www.apple.com/support/garageband/podcasts/

At the bottom of the Garageband link is a link to a beta version command line tool for incorporating pictures, chapters, etc. into a podcast.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    IMHO QT PRO and GB would make a killer combo for podcasting. Do your musical bumps, and assorted stingers in GB, save them out as MP3 files, write a javascript soundboard to control and time playback, start recording in QTP and bamo - you got a podcast!
  • Reply 3 of 6
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:

Originally posted by neutrino23

Looks like Apple is already starting to do this.

Podcasting with QT7

http://www.apple.com/quicktime/tutor...odcasting.html

Podcasting with Garageband

http://www.apple.com/support/garageband/podcasts/

At the bottom of the Garageband link is a link to a beta version command line tool for incorporating pictures, chapters, etc. into a podcast.

Just looked at your link and found this:

Name your file with the .m4a extension (yourfile.m4a) in the "Save exported file as..." dialog box (this is required for compatibility with iPod). Select the desired location of your new file and click Save. You now have a file that is ready to be published.

WTF?!? why not just use MP3 like everyone else? there is no protection in most podcasts so why not just do a single format that ANYONE on a computer bought after ~1997 can listen to pain free (no software updates requiered) and is 100% compatible with ALL moble devices and integrated solutions that I know of

there is also this little tidbit:

* QuickTime 7 Pro cannot create MP3 files. You can use iTunes to convert files to MP3.

My question is WHY??? a lot of times when people come to me at work needing the audio extracted from a video of a meeting, I just save it from my capture tool as an MP3 file and give it to them on a CD - why would such a feature be missing from a pro app..."just use iTunes" ...well if that is how Apple feels, then why go pro at all?
  • Reply 4 of 6
    sport73sport73 Posts: 438member
    Quote:

Originally posted by a_greer

My question is WHY??? a lot of times when people come to me at work needing the audio extracted from a video of a meeting, I just save it from my capture tool as an MP3 file and give it to them on a CD - why would such a feature be missing from a pro app..."just use iTunes" ...well if that is how Apple feels, then why go pro at all?

I hate to say it, but the answer is simple. Apple doesn't want non iPod/iTunes users to be able to get Podcasts easily. It's a distinguishing competitive advantage and it even has "pod" in the name, but it's unprotected content so it could easily be placed on any other device. By making it AAC, Apple narrows that field just a bit and holds on to some of the exclusivity of Podcasts.
  • Reply 5 of 6
    Well, that is a clever if slightly distasteful manoeuvre but probably necessary to stop WMA becoming the defacto replacement for mp3.

It should probably be noted as well that AAC audio is far ahead of mp3 at low bitrates (it's much less noticeable above 128kbps) and the format allows for easy enhancements such as the chapter markers etc. The potential to halve your bandwidth requirements probably won't be passed up by many podcasters.

Just remember that MP4 and AAC are open standards, just like mp3, but unlike WMA. It's only apple's fairplay DRM that is proprietary.
  • Reply 6 of 6
    chris cuillachris cuilla Posts: 4,825member
    Quote:

Originally posted by stupider...likeafox

if slightly distasteful manoeuvre

Nothing distasteful about it all...afterall...

Quote:

Originally posted by stupider...likeafox

AAC audio is far ahead of mp3 at low bitrates (it's much less noticeable above 128kbps) and the format allows for easy enhancements such as the chapter markers etc. The potential to halve your bandwidth requirements probably won't be passed up by many podcasters.