cpu upgrade for the PB Pismo

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I was just wondering if they have a Cpu upgrade for the Powerbook G3 Pismo(firewire). Like a upgrade for the 400mhz to be a 500mhz(or more)G3. Also what did they max out in in the ram dept? I think it was 1 gig, but you couldnt do it before cuz their was no 512 chips avalible or something.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member
    Yeah, there's one coming out for Pismos. I really don't have any info though. Anyone know details?
  • Reply 2 of 5
    fran441fran441 Posts: 3,715member
    There is a G4 upgrade for the older PowerBook G3s, but nothing for the Pismo yet. Considering they still sell machines with the G3/500, though, I wouldn't be too upset.

The machine will also take 1 GB RAM.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    yea thanks for the info guys , but my story is that my friend has a 400 pismo with 320 ram, dvd, zip drive, 6 gig HD, and she'll sell it to me for $800(if i get it i'll max out the ram too) . Do you guys think its worth it? I want a laptop and a new tower, so i figure i'll get this now and then when the new towers come out I'll pick one up. I figure it's the cheapest way for me to have the best of both worlds. Just do you think that pismo is worth it, will get out dated to fast since its old already?

thanks
  • Reply 4 of 5
    fran441fran441 Posts: 3,715member
    [quote]yea thanks for the info guys , but my story is that my friend has a 400 pismo with 320 ram, dvd, zip drive, 6 gig HD, and she'll sell it to me for $800(if i get it i'll max out the ram too) . Do you guys think its worth it? I want a laptop and a new tower, so i figure i'll get this now and then when the new towers come out I'll pick one up. I figure it's the cheapest way for me to have the best of both worlds. Just do you think that pismo is worth it, will get out dated to fast since its old already?

thanks <hr></blockquote>

Well, on eBay, these machines go from $700-$1300. The hard drive may be a little small for you, but you can always upgrade. All in all, it's very competitive with the new 14" iBook. The PowerBook has all of the extra bells and whistles with the exception that it's clock speed is 200 MHz less. Considering that you'll save about $1000 off of the iBook, I think it's a very good deal. With the Pismo, you'll also get 2 firewire ports, the expansion bay, more video/sound out and in options, and a PC card slot.

If you are able to get an upgrade for $300 to a G4, then you're still paying a lot less than you would for a new iBook.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    word, thanks i just might do it, cuz i know if i put a gig of ram in it it will rock, i've learned in my time that ram's so important, and makes up for a slower proccessor.

thanks