Do you think Apple will ever add a "turn off brushed metal" option?

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
I know I'm not alone in saying I completely despise it. I started using spotlight just so I wouldn't have to look at it in the finder window, and itunes makes me want to puke every time I open it. Themes are great, but Ape crashes apps like there's no tomorrow.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 17
    mpmoriartympmoriarty Posts: 289member
    I personally wouldn't mind them replacing brushed metal with the theme in Mail.
  • Reply 2 of 17
    synosyno Posts: 33member
    i like the brushed metal theme
  • Reply 3 of 17
    gene cleangene clean Posts: 3,481member
    I like the brushed theme better than the regular 'aqua' or whatever it is.
  • Reply 4 of 17
    lundylundy Posts: 4,466member
    Quote:

Originally posted by spyder

I know I'm not alone in saying I completely despise it. I started using spotlight just so I wouldn't have to look at it in the finder window, and itunes makes me want to puke every time I open it. Themes are great, but Ape crashes apps like there's no tomorrow.

You can turn off brushed metal if the app is Cocoa. You need to open the .nib files in Interface Builder of Xcode and uncheck the "textured" box. To get to the nib files, right-click the app and choose "show package contents" and then rummage thru that until you find the nib files. Make a copy first in case you torque something up.

iTunes has no nib files that I can find. Not surprising as it is Carbon. Same for the Finder.
  • Reply 5 of 17
    I just wish they'd standardize on the new unified toolbar appearance. I like it better then regular Aqua, and metal is just overbearing IMHO. Furthermore if they could make Garageband look like anything else it would be nice.

Actually I was bored and filed a bug on RadarWeb about this. I listed all the interface consistencies and referenced every good Mac guy I could find. I fully expect it to be closed/duplicate soon enough, but it's been open for a couple of months now.
  • Reply 6 of 17
    spyderspyder Posts: 170member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Electric Monk

I just wish they'd standardize on the new unified toolbar appearance. I like it better then regular Aqua, and metal is just overbearing IMHO. Furthermore if they could make Garageband look like anything else it would be nice.

Actually I was bored and filed a bug on RadarWeb about this. I listed all the interface consistencies and referenced every good Mac guy I could find. I fully expect it to be closed/duplicate soon enough, but it's been open for a couple of months now.

I'm somewhat confused about the unified toolbar appearance. I know that it makes all the top bars look the same (at least that's what I think it is). Could anyone explain it in more detail?
  • Reply 7 of 17
    rara Posts: 623member
    Quote:

I'm somewhat confused about the unified toolbar appearance. I know that it makes all the top bars look the same (at least that's what I think it is). Could anyone explain it in more detail?

It seems to be used in apps/windows that make use of Spotlight (Mail, System Preferences, etc...).
  • Reply 8 of 17
    spyderspyder Posts: 170member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ra

It seems to be used in apps/windows that make use of Spotlight (Mail, System Preferences, etc...).

Ah ok, I understand now. So like in Safari, the bookmarks toolbar would be one with title bar and the address bar, etc.
  • Reply 9 of 17
    Arguably Mail uses a variant due to the colour and buttons, Plastic seems to be the rough consensus.

The Unified Title and Toolbar theme just extends the titlebar's appearance and grabability down through the toolbar. Any Cocoa app can have it's nib file changed to support. For example my copy of Omniweb and Safari have been modified to use the unified toolbar.

For anyone that's interested Mac OS X now has the following themes

Plastic - Mail

Unified Title and Toolbar - Spotlight, Help, Camino 0.9

Dashboard (anything goes) - Widgets

Pro - Final Cut Pro, Motion

Ugly... I mean Wood - Garageband

Metal - Safari, Calculator

Aqua - Omniweb, Firefox
  • Reply 10 of 17
    blue2kdaveblue2kdave Posts: 652member
    Quote:

itunes makes me want to puke

Wow, I would suggest some Pepto Bismol and yoga... It's not that bad.
  • Reply 11 of 17
    dacloodacloo Posts: 890member
    MPMoriarty, I agree! I love the clean look of Mail, and it looks less clumsy. Finder and other apps would also benefit from this theme IMHO!
  • Reply 12 of 17
    jlljll Posts: 2,713member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Electric Monk

Arguably Mail uses a variant due to the colour and buttons, Plastic seems to be the rough consensus.

The Unified Title and Toolbar theme just extends the titlebar's appearance and grabability down through the toolbar. Any Cocoa app can have it's nib file changed to support. For example my copy of Omniweb and Safari have been modified to use the unified toolbar.

For anyone that's interested Mac OS X now has the following themes

Plastic - Mail

Unified Title and Toolbar - Spotlight, Help, Camino 0.9

Dashboard (anything goes) - Widgets

Pro - Final Cut Pro, Motion

Ugly... I mean Wood - Garageband

Metal - Safari, Calculator

Aqua - Omniweb, Firefox

Everything except Pro, wood and widgets (which are web pages) are Aqua!

Aqua is the name of the interface - not the look.

Btw. Apple is concidering making the Pro look available to others.
  • Reply 13 of 17
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    Demetallifizer. Get it if you want to skip using Interface Builder.
  • Reply 14 of 17
    chris vchris v Posts: 460member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Aquatic

Demetallifizer. Get it if you want to skip using Interface Builder.

I hasn't been updated since 2003, but I've found that the "unreleased" alpha version that unsanity posted a link to on their company blog actually works better with the OS 10.4 Finder than it did in 10.3.

That, + using Interface Builder to fix Safari has done the trick for 90% of my apps.
  • Reply 15 of 17
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:

Originally posted by JLL

Everything except Pro, wood and widgets (which are web pages) are Aqua!

Aqua is the name of the interface - not the look.

Btw. Apple is concidering making the Pro look available to others.

I would kill for iTunes, safari and Mail.app with "pro" app look
  • Reply 16 of 17
    junkyard dawgjunkyard dawg Posts: 2,801member
    Apple already has an option for Brushed Metal, it's in Project Builder.

Metal looks great when it is used properly. What is properly? An artist would know better than I - but I do know it when I see it. Safari uses Metal properly. The shareware app Onyx does not. See what I mean?
  • Reply 17 of 17
    mpmoriartympmoriarty Posts: 289member
    The problem I see most developers make with brushed metal is that using colored toolbar icons look terrible in brushed metal.

Safari's toolbar looks fine because it uses the black and white toolbar buttons. You can test this in the Finder. The Finder's black and white buttons are fine. But the colored, transparent background don't look look right.