What is going on with the moderators?

Posted:
in Feedback edited January 2014
Why all the thread locking?

This is making this once fine website seem very childish and big brother like.

Something needs to be done about it.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 32
    Quote:

Originally posted by steve666

Why all the thread locking?

This is making this once fine website seem very childish and big brother like.

Something needs to be done about it.

6 locked threads in FH + the 2 "check forum" ones...this is just getting ridiculous. As much as I don't want to tell you how to do your job, if you're going lock a thread, give a reason.
  • Reply 2 of 32
    Quote:

Originally posted by mynamehere

6 locked threads in FH + the 2 "check forum" ones...this is just getting ridiculous. As much as I don't want to tell you how to do your job, if you're going lock a thread, give a reason.

Make that 7 + 2...
  • Reply 3 of 32
    Quote:

Make that 7 + 2...

Make that 7 unneccessary threads which, either:

1) Offer no original content from the poster.

2) Duplicate threads already in progress.

-or-

3) Proclaim that 'The Apple Store Is Down!!!'.

The two 'locked' threads at the top of the FH forum are there for a specific reason. That reason should be evident ... in fact, one of the sticky threads specifically asks users to check the forum before posting a new thread. If that post were followed, we would have less need to lock threads.

If you have a complaint about the moderation, please address the situation through the PM system with the applicable forum mods or an administrator.
  • Reply 4 of 32
    resres Posts: 711member
    Quote:

Originally posted by audiopollution

-snip-

If you have a complaint about the moderation, please address the situation through the PM system with the applicable forum mods or an administrator.

I have to totally disagree with that attitude. These forums are made by a community, and complaints about the moderation the forums should be made in the open, not hushed up behind closed doors.

I also think that too many threads have been closed by the moderators. Some of the threads might have been placed onto the wrong forum and should have been moved, but way too many threads are being locked.

Moderators, please remember - just because you feel that a topic has been "beaten to death," it does not mean that all of us feel the same way, so please leave it open so the rest of us can partake in the discorse. If no one is interested in a thread, it will die on it's own, there is no reason to kill it.
  • Reply 5 of 32
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Res

I have to totally disagree with that attitude. These forums are made by a community, and complaints about the moderation the forums should be made in the open, not hushed up behind closed doors.

The posting guidelines are clear, complaints about an admin or a mod should be dealed only via e mail or PM. That's the way it works, on most forums I go on.

Now it's not specified on the guidelines that you can talk about the moderation in general.

Now remember that the moderators are doing a free job, in order to keep this forums nice.

We are open to any suggestions, but we will never do whatever people want, if we think that it's against the gaol of this forum ( a civil place to discuss Apple's related stuff).

Quote:

I also think that too many threads have been closed by the moderators. Some of the threads might have been placed onto the wrong forum and should have been moved, but way too many threads are being locked.

Moderators, please remember - just because you feel that a topic has been "beaten to death," it does not mean that all of us feel the same way, so please leave it open so the rest of us can partake in the discorse. If no one is interested in a thread, it will die on it's own, there is no reason to kill it.

I can understand your point to a certain extent, but when too many threads are open, it lead to confusion. It's better to have less open threads, but more complete one. Some members will not want to reply to every duplicate threads. And in general these members are the best contributors of these boards.
  • Reply 6 of 32
    mynameheremynamehere Posts: 560member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Powerdoc

The posting guidelines are clear, complaints about an admin or a mod should be dealed only via e mail or PM. That's the way it works, on most forums I go on.

Then what's this (Feedback) forum? chopped liver?

Quote:

Now it's not specified on the guidelines that you can talk about the moderation in general.

Well, maybe it should be then (we are in the feedback forum after all, which has the description "For use in presenting us with comments and suggestions on the forums.")

Quote:

Now remember that the moderators are doing a free job, in order to keep this forums nice. We are open to any suggestions, but we will never do whatever people want, if we think that it's against the gaol of this forum ( a civil place to discuss Apple's related stuff).

Unfortunately, it's always "what the moderators think," and that seems to be proving that they have the power to ban and lock at their whim.

All we're asking (I think) is that you at least think (and look) twice before locking a thread, since quite often they are not identical to others already in the forum.

If you feel you must lock a thread, then post a reply with the reason and a link to the appropriate thread, if such a thread exists.

In some of these cases, we couldn't email/pm the mod since whoever the mod was hadn't bothered with this common courtesy.

And one more thing to all the mods: don't get wrapped up in the notion that you have unlimited power with no accountability. It's actions like these that will eventually drive the users away to other sites.
  • Reply 7 of 32
    Quote:

Then what's this (Feedback) forum? chopped liver?

Well, maybe it should be then (we are in the feedback forum after all, which has the description "For use in presenting us with comments and suggestions on the forums.")

Unfortunately, it's always "what the moderators think," and that seems to be proving that they have the power to ban and lock at their whim.

All we're asking (I think) is that you at least think (and look) twice before locking a thread, since quite often they are not identical to others already in the forum.

If you feel you must lock a thread, then post a reply with the reason and a link to the appropriate thread, if such a thread exists.

In some of these cases, we couldn't email/pm the mod since whoever the mod was hadn't bothered with this common courtesy.

And one more thing to all the mods: don't get wrapped up in the notion that you have unlimited power with no accountability. It's actions like these that will eventually drive the users away to other sites.

Thanks for your lessons ...
  • Reply 8 of 32
    Quote:

Originally posted by Powerdoc

Thanks for your lessons ...

you're very welcome.
  • Reply 9 of 32
    the cool gutthe cool gut Posts: 1,714member
    So is it going to stop or not?
  • Reply 10 of 32
    Quote:

Originally posted by the cool gut

So is it going to stop or not?

Actually, I think I have found a solution. After reading this thread I believe you can solve the problem by simply transferring the FH mods to PO (Political Outsider) since they seem to be dealing with the opposite of the FH problem.
  • Reply 11 of 32
    We will never allow threads like this :

http://forums.appleinsider.com/showt...threadid=55691

This forum will stay clean.

A vast majority of our members like it this way.
  • Reply 12 of 32
    cakecake Posts: 1,010member
    I understand locking threads that are inflammatory, duplicates or advertisements, but why delete the AppleNova thread from earlier today?

I though we were beyond that?
  • Reply 13 of 32
    kschererkscherer Posts: 79member
    I'd like an answer to that one as well. There are a lot of users who frequent both sites. Some of those folks were relying on THIS site to keep in touch. And to problem solve a very difficult situation. I started that thread in hopes of giving AN's mods and users an opportunity to explain what was going on. If ever there was a useful thread, that was probably it. If you allow your personal issues to get in the way, then you only prove the points being made here.

Why? Give us an answer. Perhaps you can convince those of us who chose AN early on to utilize both sites!
  • Reply 14 of 32
    kschererkscherer Posts: 79member
    Not to mention that the AN thread was NOT locked, no one was warned, no explanation was given. It was just quietly swept under the rug. Was it that bad?
  • Reply 15 of 32
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    Their site, their rules. If they want to delete threads about AN, that's their perrogative and their perfectly justified in doing it.

I was hoping for a little understanding in this case. The young man (Jack) who'd registered our domains passed away a month ago. He'd renewed them a week or so before he died, and I'm guessing the credit card bill defaulted upon his death.

I understand that there might be some bad blood left, but in this case I was hoping for a bit more understanding considering the circumstances and the amount of cross posting between sites. *shrugs*

However, your site your rules. I won't post any info about it if that will just lead to a thread deletion.
  • Reply 16 of 32
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:

Originally posted by alcimedes

Their site, their rules. If they want to delete threads about AN, that's their perrogative and their perfectly justified in doing it.

I was hoping for a little understanding in this case. The young man (Jack) who'd registered our domains passed away a month ago. He'd renewed them a week or so before he died, and I'm guessing the credit card bill defaulted upon his death.

I understand that there might be some bad blood left, but in this case I was hoping for a bit more understanding considering the circumstances and the amount of cross posting between sites. *shrugs*

However, your site your rules. I won't post any info about it if that will just lead to a thread deletion.

Really. I guess that explains the tone of "I can barely stand to post here, but I guess I have to" from our cross-posting "friends"?
  • Reply 17 of 32
    resres Posts: 711member
    Quote:

Originally posted by addabox

Really. I guess that explains the tone of "I can barely stand to post here, but I guess I have to" from our cross-posting "friends"?

A great many of us do frequent both sites. I know that there is "bad blood" between some of the moderators of each site, but I think it is past time people get over it. Deleting a thread about the current situation at AN is not only childish, but is a disservice to the whole Apple community.
  • Reply 18 of 32
    formerlurkerformerlurker Posts: 2,686member
    Nevermind.
  • Reply 19 of 32
    We don't want to hurt you. If you let us have a thread here, then we will have an easier time of getting our own forum running again, so we can leave you be. Please bear with us in the next couple days!
  • Reply 20 of 32
    crazychestercrazychester Posts: 1,339member
    Quote:

Originally posted by addabox

Be quick chester.

Breathe everybody breathe. I was replying to the deleted thread when it was deleted but I was going to say, (until then) that I thought it was very gracious of AI to allow the thread and chide the AN members for not being a little more courteous.

So how about doing that and AI given the circumstances and Jack's recent death, how about if they behave, cutting a bit of slack here. You never know, it might have positive benefits for everybody.

You reap what you sow.

And I've changed the emphasis of where I post because I got fed up with someone here. adda if you think back, I'm sure you'll appreciate the irony of our respective situations.