Future Powerbook Logo

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 55
    Am I the only one that misses the old Apple logo that looked like a gay pride thing? Bring that back, never underestimate nastalgia. If you think about it Apple could say that they have come full circle and are now looking to shake up the computer industry once again with the Mac.
  • Reply 42 of 55
    ransomedransomed Posts: 169member
    Man! looks like inaka and waytogobuddy (what kinda lame ass screen name is that??!!) have more time on their hands than most people.

As a creative professional, I have to say that based on Apple's track record, they are FAR from doing anything like that, because they've always set themselves apart frome every other brand of computer (does 'think different' ring a bell, anyone?). I mean a company's life long image is not something you just throw away. On the other hand I could be proven wrong. I just really hope not, for Apple's sake.

But I really doubt that Apple will use the word Pentium or Centrino on any of their advertising. My guess is that they will do it in a very classy fashion, without the least bit of association with the PC world, despite the fact that they will have an intel chip in them. You'll see, they'll pull it off, and we will all just stand there, as always, with our chins on the floor.
  • Reply 43 of 55
    groveratgroverat Posts: 10,872member
    I think it's cute.
  • Reply 44 of 55
    I'm with cwestpha, bring back the gay pride logo. Fuck rednecks, they don't buy Macs anyways, and most of them don't even know what a rainbow sticker on the back of a car means. Good for Apple if they can sneak gay pride symbols into right wingers' homes and make them pay for them. Then they find out about they rainbows a few years later and become tormented with questions about their sexuality. Heh.

BTW those photos of intel logos are all fugly. I'm all for the switch, I just don't need my computer to look like a heavily sponsored race car, with stickers all over it for each interior component supplier.
  • Reply 45 of 55
    cubistcubist Posts: 954member
    I'm sure that part of the reason for this transition is to get the Intel advertising money, so there will be stickers on Macs. Get used to the idea.

And as for those who think Apple might use some Opterons, go check out some of the stories coming out in the AMD/Intel suit. They're pretty disgusting. For example, Compaq had to stop shipping AMDs because Intel refused to send them chips. The more I hear about Intel, the less I like them - and I've never liked them much.
  • Reply 46 of 55
    Quote:

Originally posted by cubist

I'm sure that part of the reason for this transition is to get the Intel advertising money, so there will be stickers on Macs. Get used to the idea.

And as for those who think Apple might use some Opterons, go check out some of the stories coming out in the AMD/Intel suit. They're pretty disgusting. For example, Compaq had to stop shipping AMDs because Intel refused to send them chips. The more I hear about Intel, the less I like them - and I've never liked them much.

Although that is a feasable theory it would mean that Apple has TOTALLY sold out. Still, I take it with a grain of salt of considerable size.

As for the latter, sounds like a trade embargo, or as others would call it: "The American Way". Except that this time It's not the U.S and Cuba, it's Intel and Compaq.
  • Reply 47 of 55
    cwestphacwestpha Posts: 48member
    From what Intel has told us about Yonah 30 watts is going to be the maximum with 25 more likely to be the high point. Currently Centrino goes from 10 watts of heat disipation to about 25 or so.

Remember Yonah is going to get a die shrink and when on battery power one of the cores are going to be disabled. As one gets hot the other core will kick in. The cooler you can run intigrated circuits the better they perform per watt.

One of the reasons Yonah isnt going to get 64-bits is because it would raise the heat disipation by 5 to 10 watts. Remember heat increases at an exponental rate with ICs. Those extra registers, new instructions, etc would take about 5% extra die space per core. They are probebly waiting till they get away from Netburst on the Pentium Ms before they start going nuts with adding new features.
  • Reply 48 of 55
    ishawnishawn Posts: 364member
    I love the fake ads and pictures. I thought there was a website that did that kind of stuff, but had no luck accessing it once. Does anyone have any links to such fake news and ads? I am amused by it all.
  • Reply 49 of 55
    Quote:

Originally posted by RANSOMED

Man! looks like inaka and waytogobuddy (what kinda lame ass screen name is that??!!) have more time on their hands than most people.

As a creative professional, I have to say that based on Apple's track record, they are FAR from doing anything like that, because they've always set themselves apart frome every other brand of computer (does 'think different' ring a bell, anyone?). I mean a company's life long image is not something you just throw away. On the other hand I could be proven wrong. I just really hope not, for Apple's sake.

But I really doubt that Apple will use the word Pentium or Centrino on any of their advertising. My guess is that they will do it in a very classy fashion, without the least bit of association with the PC world, despite the fact that they will have an intel chip in them. You'll see, they'll pull it off, and we will all just stand there, as always, with our chins on the floor.

As a non-professional, I guess a marketing campaign for a computer system using a metaphor of organic life (the mac), opposed to say, manufactured machine (PC) with complicated specs etc. isn't "different" enough. Fun to try.

I do think Apple will mention intel though - Sigmoid curve says that Apple jumps, and jumps big right now, to (a more) main stream presence. Intel is pretty mainstream. That line is a fine one though - I agree with you they will want minimal association to everything that is 'mainstream' POS dell etc.
  • Reply 50 of 55
    Quote:

Originally posted by waytogobuddy

As a non-professional, I guess a marketing campaign for a computer system using a metaphor of organic life (the mac), opposed to say, manufactured machine (PC) with complicated specs etc. isn't "different" enough. Fun to try.

I do think Apple will mention intel though - Sigmoid curve says that Apple jumps, and jumps big right now, to (a more) main stream presence. Intel is pretty mainstream. That line is a fine one though - I agree with you they will want minimal association to everything that is 'mainstream' POS dell etc.

Wow! I must say I'm impressed at your entirely cool headed response... You totally ignored my insults, you were courteious and humble, and actually agreed with me!!! I must say that I was intentionally trying to push your buttons but you passed the test with fying colors. You're a good person, and your strong character will get you far throughout your lifetime (despite the lame screen name lol!). I wish we all reacted that way to aggression, rock on!!!

And you are correct, it is fun to try stuff like that, I recall merging the Mac and Windows logo on my first semester in college: the assignment was to create a new product, and I thought it worked well. Not so much now...

On a different note, I agree, Intel WILL be mentioned, it MUST be mentioned... I wonder how they'll pull the whole thing off, though... I can't wait to see.
  • Reply 51 of 55
    Quote:

Wow! I must say I'm impressed at your entirely cool headed response... You totally ignored my insults, you were courteious and humble, and actually agreed with me!!! I must say that I was intentionally trying to push your buttons but you passed the test with fying colors. You're a good person, and your strong character will get you far throughout your lifetime (despite the lame screen name lol!). I wish we all reacted that way to aggression, rock on!!!

And you are correct, it is fun to try stuff like that, I recall merging the Mac and Windows logo on my first semester in college: the assignment was to create a new product, and I thought it worked well. Not so much now...

On a different note, I agree, Intel WILL be mentioned, it MUST be mentioned... I wonder how they'll pull the whole thing off, though... I can't wait to see.

It's called being Canadian!

no art college for me - so my stuff ends up here....
  • Reply 52 of 55
    inakainaka Posts: 29member
    Quote:

Honestly, in terms of having free time, I can guarantee that the logo took less time to whip up (1 min) than it took you to type all of that.
  • Reply 53 of 55
    Quote:

You're a good person, and your strong character will get you far throughout your lifetime.

Jeez, where do you get this stuff, man? from fortune cookies?? hehe.
  • Reply 54 of 55
    Well, I guess you could be right, perhaps it did take me longer than a minute to type that up, but there really is no way you can guarantee that. So maybe I just think and type really fast... the truth is you won't know, and perhaps my opinion is based on the fact that time is better spent doing some things than other, such as getting out every once in a while instead of staying home creating bad art that you aren't getting paid for... but, that's just my opinion, take it or leave it. If you decide to take it though, don't take ot personally.

And where do I get that stuff? It's just lfe experience. It's a proven fact that strong character takes you far. Inversely, weak character will keep you from spending time in worthwhile things... again that's just my humble opinion... you lads seem to be smart, why not apply your intelligence talent to good things?

Not that you are not already doing so.