Cool iTunes Feature - IMHO

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Every week or so, I will take about 15 minutes and search through the iTMS looking for good tunes. I often find music that I would like purchase, but only if I don't find anything better - in the 15 minutes. I had always wished there was a way to create a wish list and then be able to go back to it and purchase just a few of the 50 songs I found.

Then I discovered it. I made a playlist called "Wishlist" and dragged songs from the Music store to it. I don't have to purchase songs, but at the end of the the 15 minutes or so, I can go to wish list, and only purchase my favorites of all the songs I found. I have not synced with iPod yet, so I don't know how that playlist will sync.

I just thought I would share.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    danielctulldanielctull Posts: 586member
    That's quite a brilliant thing. Good find.
  • Reply 2 of 11
    k squaredk squared Posts: 608member
    Now that is one of the coolest hints I've ever read about. I wonder why Apple doesn't feature this?
  • Reply 3 of 11
    ipodandimacipodandimac Posts: 3,273member
    i think this feature came about with itunes 4.5 or so. it wasn't advertised too much, but was well-documented by apple and has popped up in a few threads here.
  • Reply 4 of 11
    geekdreamsgeekdreams Posts: 280member
    Quote:

Originally posted by geobe

I have not synced with iPod yet, so I don't know how that playlist will sync.

It won't sync the wishlist playlist, assuming all the tracks in it are from the iTMS and not from your Library.
  • Reply 5 of 11
    Quote:

Originally posted by geekdreams

It won't sync the wishlist playlist, assuming all the tracks in it are from the iTMS and not from your Library.

right. but if there are some tracks you have in your library, those songs will sync and the playlist will show up.
  • Reply 6 of 11
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    I keep a running wishlist all the time. I refuse to pay for tunes with my credit card, so whenever I manage to buy another $15.00 prepaid card, I head into the wishlist and see which songs I want to get in that session. It is a very nice feature.
  • Reply 7 of 11
    I don't understand what the difference is between your "wishlist" and the "Shopping Cart" provided automatically by the itunes music store if you turn off 1-click purchases. I always use the shopping cart and it seems like the same thing.
  • Reply 8 of 11
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    Quote:

Originally posted by MagicFingers

I don't understand what the difference is between your "wishlist" and the "Shopping Cart" provided automatically by the itunes music store if you turn off 1-click purchases. I always use the shopping cart and it seems like the same thing.

Not so. I don't usually buy everything in my wishlist when I go shopping. If I had everything I want *eventually* in the shopping cart, I'd have to buy the ones I want by clicking "Buy Song" for each song. Too much hassle.

Now, I just click "Add To Cart" for each song in my wishlist that I want to buy, and immediately after clicking that, I delete them from the wishlist playlist. When I'm all done I go to the cart and click the button to buy all.
  • Reply 9 of 11
    pesipesi Posts: 424member
    Quote:

Originally posted by MagicFingers

you only have one shopping cart. you can have as many "wishlists" as you want. they're just playlists. and you can have songs already from your library mixed in with unpurchased songs.

so you can work on purchasing songs for a particular playlist.
  • Reply 10 of 11
    geobegeobe Posts: 235member
    I have another really cool iTunes idea.

I call it iTunes Radio Playlists - for lack of a better term.

You can go to the iTunes Radio and create a playlist. From there, you drag the songs you want to hear to it. When you hit play, the songs stream to your computer and play. You don't buy them, they don't download to your machine, you cannot save them, and you cannot stream them out, they just play you your machine. So it is like having our own radio station and you pick the songs. You can skip songs or move your playlists around.

Sound fun??
  • Reply 11 of 11
    Quote:

Originally posted by geobe

I have another really cool iTunes idea.

I call it iTunes Radio Playlists - for lack of a better term.

You can go to the iTunes Radio and create a playlist. From there, you drag the songs you want to hear to it. When you hit play, the songs stream to your computer and play. You don't buy them, they don't download to your machine, you cannot save them, and you cannot stream them out, they just play you your machine. So it is like having our own radio station and you pick the songs. You can skip songs or move your playlists around.

Sound fun??

bandwidth costs would be an issue, and someone would hack it in about 3 days.