Firewall frustration

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I'm a relatve newcomer to networking, and I need help with my firewall (the build-in one). I'd like to keep it on all the time, but it prevents certain services when it's running. I know the solution is to open certain ports that those services use while keeping all the rest closed, but I don't know how to find out what ports they're using, and I'm shaky on how to open them. How do I do it? Oh, by the way, I'm running Tiger.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    lundylundy Posts: 4,466member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Sladuuch

I'm a relatve newcomer to networking, and I need help with my firewall (the build-in one). I'd like to keep it on all the time, but it prevents certain services when it's running. I know the solution is to open certain ports that those services use while keeping all the rest closed, but I don't know how to find out what ports they're using, and I'm shaky on how to open them. How do I do it? Oh, by the way, I'm running Tiger.

In the "Sharing" Preference Pane, in "Firewall", you can see the most common ports already listed. A checkmark means that the firewall WON'T block those items that are checked.

If your items are not listed there, click the "Add" button and see if they are listed in the popup there.

If not, post the services that you need here and somebody will know the port numbers that you need.

Note that if you are using a router, it may also have to be told to let traffic through. The same goes for the Airport Base Station, as it is a router also.
  • Reply 2 of 2
    sladuuchsladuuch Posts: 67member
    Some of my friends and I set up our computers with a router to play networked games of CnC generals. I was the only one with a firewall on and everybody else could see me, but I couldn't see them. Turning it off solved the problem, but I'd rather not have to do it again. It seems I need to know the TCP and UDP port names. Could somebody tell me what those stand for and what numbers I should put in?