Gumdrop nostalgia

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
My film school (it's new, founded in 1999, and very small, only one house-sized building) has only a few FCP stations set up.

I found them busy, but noticed the graphite iMac in the office, with no one using it.

So I asked if sit there, and get some my hands dirty with FCP a little more, as my skills and understanding are a bit shaky.

Historically, I have always found the gumdrop to be limited, and have never taken it as a serious computer.

But as I sat at the gumdrop, and started to work, I was surprised at how everything was just so.....spot on.

The ports were accessible, the drive was right there, the screen was still small, but it was just 'right there' and somehow intimate, the silence was deafening, the speakers were crisp and sharp, and after a few minutes, it was just my eyes, my mouse, my keybaord and the screen......

I guess I've only learned to respect the gumdrop in retrospect.

Still, I'm getting a new iMac or lowend Powermac, but I was kinda of amused by the whole nostalgia for something I never owned.

SdC

[ 01-16-2002: Message edited by: suckfuldotcom ]</p>

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    From the proud owner of 4 macs:

Aside for my nostalgic love affair with my color classic (blazing 16mhz 68030 processor, baby!), my rev D imac 333 has provided me with years of wuv. Everytime i look at it now, still humming along despite all the abuse it might have taken during arguments, i smile at it because it still sits there so cute, begging to be touched.

yes, the gumdrops have that affect on mac people

now, though, my ibook 600 is my new baby...

but it's nice to know the gumdrops still ooze out affection to those who use them.

• Reply 2 of 8
    I'll chime in here with a vote of support for the clamshell iBook. Maybe I'm the only one that loves the shape of that thing, but with the handle and everything, it just works! It had it's problems...a lot of wasted space around the screen, etc. But it was something that you just wanted to pick up and use...

rr.
  • Reply 3 of 8
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member
    I still feel that way with my Rev C iMac too. Every time I see it (since I don't currently have it) I get a good feeling inside. It lasted me over 2 years an still it gets the job done well.
  • Reply 4 of 8
    View this movie but only if you have tissues handy. It is very sad to see those old gems go. Ahh but hell, i bought the new baby.

Steve should have showed this.

<a href="http://www.geocities.com/franktau/FTAd.html"; target="_blank">http://www.geocities.com/franktau/FTAd.html</a>;
  • Reply 5 of 8
    Macintosh, thatnks for the link. That was awsome to watch.
  • Reply 6 of 8
    [quote]Originally posted by EmAn:

<strong>Macintosh, thatnks for the link. That was awsome to watch.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Your welcome man. I love that video.
  • Reply 7 of 8
    [quote]Originally posted by Macintosh:

<strong>

Your welcome man. I love that video.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Yeah, it really is great.
  • Reply 8 of 8
    Oh the flashbacks!

i remember those days as those ads played on the tele

i remember the days when almost every major computer store had a gumdrop in stock (even costco)

but what i remember the mose was the way those intel bunnies got burned for all their worth

it was good nostalgia trip

i needed that