So what exactly is hotmail good for?

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I have a hotmail account. Basically I've had the hotmail account because I got tired of switching email addresses when I'd change my ISP.

I'll bet this is an obvious "no," but I'll try anyways: can I access my hotmail from Mail?

Ok fine, so I can't. Can I forward my hotmail messages to a .Mac or similar account?

And a related question: do I have to pay for a .Mac email address? I remember a long time ago I didn't have to but now that the storage space costs money, I'll be the email does too.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    bergzbergz Posts: 1,045member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Danosaur

I have a hotmail account. Basically I've had the hotmail account because I got tired of switching email addresses when I'd change my ISP.

I'll bet this is an obvious "no," but I'll try anyways: can I access my hotmail from Mail?

try with httpmail which I believe no longer works with accounts that have not been accessed before with POP. But you can try it.

Quote:

Ok fine, so I can't. Can I forward my hotmail messages to a .Mac or similar account?

I think you have to pay for that, but check in the account prefs.

Quote:

And a related question: do I have to pay for a .Mac email address? I remember a long time ago I didn't have to but now that the storage space costs money, I'll be the email does too.

Not sure. I know that my mom has one and doesn't pay for it because she got the earthlink trial when she bought her mac, with the account included. When it ran out, they said she could keep the address.

--B
  • Reply 2 of 8
    To answer your question, Hotmail is good for lonely people who rely on spam to make them feel wanted.
  • Reply 3 of 8
    aslan^aslan^ Posts: 599member
    I use the httpmail plugin .
  • Reply 4 of 8
    danosaurdanosaur Posts: 258member
    I downloaded that http pluggin, seemed very promissing, but when I try to get new mail it tells me that it requires a subscription.

Maybe I'm using it wrong or maybe now I require hotmail plus?

Is there a way for me to get a POP email address and have the hotmail messages forwarded there? I'd hate to change my email address again.
  • Reply 5 of 8
    aslan^aslan^ Posts: 599member
    Quote:

I downloaded that http pluggin, seemed very promissing, but when I try to get new mail it tells me that it requires a subscription.

Maybe I'm using it wrong or maybe now I require hotmail plus?

Is there a way for me to get a POP email address and have the hotmail messages forwarded there? I'd hate to change my email address again.

Unfortunately hotmail wont forward mail to a POP account.

I'm not sure what you mean about a subscription, Ive been using it without a subscription and I dont have hotmail plus.

Okay just saw this on the FAQ...

1. The plugin doesn't work and when I click on the ! icon I see something telling me I need to upgrade to Hotmail Plus, what's going on?

Microsoft has recently decided to start charging for WebDav access to Hotmail. This will affect all newly created accounts, however some people with older Hotmail accounts will still be able to connect using the plugin as it is taking Microsoft quite some time to convert all the accounts over to their new system. If you are seeing this error then the only way to make the plugin with with your account is to "upgrade" to Hotmail Plus.

Well... there you go, mine might stop working soon too! Then I just might have to get a new email...
  • Reply 6 of 8
    sport73sport73 Posts: 438member
    I subscribed to a hotmail/MSN account 6 years ago for the same reason: I was moving a lot and changing ISP's and I needed a fixed account that would move with me.

Since then, I've gotten .Mac and all of my personal contacts and friends use it.

The only good thing about Hotmail is that I use it for all of my interent accounts, so it gets all the SPAM and crap. Puts a smile on my face to know that I'm clogging Microsoft's servers with garbage.
  • Reply 7 of 8
    jlljll Posts: 2,713member
    Quote:

A GMail account is free but by invitation only at the moment.

I have invitations if you're interested.
  • Reply 8 of 8
    bergzbergz Posts: 1,045member
    Quote:

Originally posted by AsLan^

This will affect all newly created accounts, however some people with older Hotmail accounts will still be able to connect using the plugin

Like I said.

--B