Apple begins iTunes countdown to half a billion tunes

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Apple today kicked off its countdown to half a billion songs sold on the iTunes Music Store with an online song counter so music fans around the world can participate in the race to purchase and download the 500 millionth song.

As part of the countdown, Apple is giving away an iPod mini and an iTunes gift card for 50 songs to the iTunes customer who purchases the winning song at each 100,000 interval. The person who downloads the 500 millionth song will win the grand prize?10 iPods of their choice to share with family and friends, an iTunes gift card for 10,000 songs and an all-expenses paid trip for four to see Coldplay on their world tour.

Apple today also announced the availability of ?Sgt. Pepper?s Lonely Hearts Club Band? and ?The Long and Winding Road? on the iTunes Music Store. Both songs were recorded live at this past weekend?s Live 8 benefit concerts featuring U2 and Sir Paul McCartney. Proceeds from the sales of these one-time-only performances will benefit debt relief in Africa.

?As we prepare to cross this major milestone of half a billion songs, we want to thank our customers, the artists and the music labels who have helped make iTunes a global success,? said Eddy Cue, Apple?s vice president of applications. ?iTunes continues to be the world?s number one online music store featuring the world?s best digital music including special performances such as the Live 8 concerts.?

The iTunes Music Store features more than 1.5 million songs from the major music companies and over 1,000 independent record labels, 10,000 audiobooks, gift certificates and exclusive music not found anywhere else online.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 23
    chris cuillachris cuilla Posts: 4,825member
    The growth is beginning to look a bit like a "J-curve". This is a good thing.
  • Reply 2 of 23
    And so Apple's front page is all iTunes/iPod... The way of things for the next year? \
  • Reply 3 of 23
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    No. The widget download thingy is still there.
  • Reply 4 of 23
    Quote:

Originally posted by CosmoNut

No. The widget download thingy is still there.

At least Apple is advertising the more secure parts of Mac OS X, they had me worried for a second!
  • Reply 5 of 23
    naknak Posts: 101member
    Quote:

Originally posted by danielctull

And so Apple's front page is all iTunes/iPod... The way of things for the next year? \

So much for the "Year of HD."
  • Reply 6 of 23
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,419member
    Well it certainly isn't the year of Powerbook G5s

:P
  • Reply 7 of 23
    naknak Posts: 101member
    Quote:

Originally posted by hmurchison

Well it certainly isn't the year of Powerbook G5s

:P

Yea, \
  • Reply 8 of 23
    skatmanskatman Posts: 609member
    Quote:

Apple today kicked off its countdown to half a billion songs sold on the iTunes Music Store with an online song counter so music fans around the world can participate in the race to purchase and download the 500 millionth song.

Race to be the biggest sucker? Apple is getting REALLY good at that lately!

No wonder I recently saw Steve on a brand new SL AMG with the top down rolling down Page Mill.
  • Reply 9 of 23
    schmidm77schmidm77 Posts: 223member
    Wow, and they finally have two Beatles songs for download as well.\
  • Reply 10 of 23
    icfireballicfireball Posts: 2,594member
    Quote:

Originally posted by schmidm77

Wow, and they finally have two Beatles songs for download as well.\

Two? They have a whole album!

[Edit: and its $5.99 for the album of 15 songs]
  • Reply 11 of 23
    is that counter on Apple's front page updated in real time? Looks pretty darn fast to me.
  • Reply 12 of 23
    screedscreed Posts: 1,077member
    I witnessed the counter accelerate as it approached a 100,000, so it's feeding off of some data.
  • Reply 13 of 23
    thevilthevil Posts: 7member
    Quote:

Originally posted by icfireball

Two? They have a whole album!

[Edit: and its $5.99 for the album of 15 songs]

Ain't that some karaoke record?
  • Reply 14 of 23
    Quote:

Originally posted by sCreeD

I witnessed the counter accelerate as it approached a 100,000, so it's feeding off of some data.

Hmm, I dunno. If you put a browser window of the Apple home page (http://www.apple.com/) and a window of the 500 Million Songs page (http://www.apple.com/itunes/500million/) next to each other, the counts differ. Mustn't be the same data.
  • Reply 15 of 23
    icfireballicfireball Posts: 2,594member
    Quote:

Originally posted by damiansipko

Hmm, I dunno. If you put a browser window of the Apple home page (http://www.apple.com/) and a window of the 500 Million Songs page (http://www.apple.com/itunes/500million/) next to each other, the counts differ. Mustn't be the same data.

It depends on when you load the page. There is a slight delay on load.
  • Reply 16 of 23
    Quote:

Originally posted by icfireball

It depends on when you load the page. There is a slight delay on load.

I guess you're right. Refreshing the pages almost simultaneously results in almost nearly the same figures.
  • Reply 17 of 23
    mike12309mike12309 Posts: 135member
    Has anyone noticed its a countup not a countdown?... not that i care... or you care.

i know apple execs have said they break about even with slight profits on the ITMS. i doubt this.

think about it... 500,000,000 songs = roughly $500,000,000

operation costs are probably minimal (esspecially with free xserves). yes im aware that like apple only gets a few cents per song... i think its like 5-9cents? im not sure. in any event, even at a worst case of 5 cents... thats $25,000,000 (edited). Thats a chuck of change for a program that really only became a household name in Q1 of this year. at this rate if it isnt as profitable as i believe (probably making around 15-20 mil for the company, this year), it will be soon.
  • Reply 18 of 23
    alex3917alex3917 Posts: 32member
    Quote:

Originally posted by damiansipko

I guess you're right. Refreshing the pages almost simultaneously results in almost nearly the same figures.

The counter accelerates at a fixed rate and then syncs up to the real number every minute or two. The counter at spreadfirefox.com works the same way.
  • Reply 19 of 23
    danielctulldanielctull Posts: 586member
    Quote:

Originally posted by mike12309

think about it... 500,000,000 songs = roughly $500,000,000

----

in any event, even at a worst case of 5 cents... thats $250,000,000.

I think you'll find 500 million times 5 cents is $25,000,000.

Personally, I would consider $25million for the last 2 and a bit years income from a program is pretty good, but I'm not expert (any experts around?) They are likely to crack 500m within a week. May 10th was 400m. So two months is 100m tracks, that's $5million by our rough figures.
  • Reply 20 of 23
    idunnoidunno Posts: 645member
    Wow... imagine how many more they would have sold if they opened an Australian iTMS... At least another 6 songs (those are the 6 I am willing to buy RIGHT NOW!).... I don't want to speak for the rest of the Aussies, but I certainly would help get it over the half billion mark.

iDunno