http://money.cnn.com/2005/07/06/news...tevejobs_ipod/

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    cubs23cubs23 Posts: 324member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Matthew Yohe

AKA: Jobs calls family of stabbing victim

that's what I thought too, ( i give it a 5-10 % PR Move) but it seems genuine; and after reading his speech to the stanford grads. he seems like he really means what he says.
  • Reply 2 of 12
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:

I honestly think this wasn't a stunt.

1) a kid got mugged and murdered here...this time it made the news, and why this one out of all the murders in the country? because the kid had a fucking hard-drive, display, and battery wrapped in pretty plastic and metal in his pocket! the media is going crasy with this just like they did in the early 1990's with the kids getting killed over Nike Micheal Jordan shoes in Chicago...The real question here is why would someone kill for something as trivial as a personal music player or a pair of shoes...

2: The whole company probably took this story like a punch in the gut, a device that was supposed to bring a little bit of convenience and joy sparked violence and death!

3: how did the media find out? did Apple put out a press release or did the family mention it to a reporter that called later?
  • Reply 3 of 12
    danmacmandanmacman Posts: 773member
    I think that since Steve faced his own death in the eye recently, he has gained a new perspective on life and how fragile it really is. As the kid's parent said in the article, "We live in a world which is changing rapidly... We have the technology that can give us the iPod and everything else, but it's not all these things. We have to work on the minds and the hearts. We're failing these kids. We're not loving them like we're supposed to."
  • Reply 4 of 12
    rokrok Posts: 3,519member
    Quote:

oh please, how cynical can you possibly be?
  • Reply 5 of 12
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    Quote:

Originally posted by a_greer

3: how did the media find out? did Apple put out a press release or did the family mention it to a reporter that called later?

The article says that Jobs' assistant called the newspaper for the father's number. The reporter probably asked about it later.
  • Reply 6 of 12
    mariusmarius Posts: 23member
    ...so, should SJ not have called the family, then - so that nobody would suspect him to use the situation for benefit? And, if he had not called (at least with our knowledge) some guys would certainly cry out how unhuman he is/was. Famous people will be in the spotlight whatever trivial or ordinary behaviour they make. Off course it was right of him to call, no matter what. This specific call was certainly not an easy task for him at all
  • Reply 7 of 12
    jimdreamworxjimdreamworx Posts: 1,095member
    I read on another site that if any other CEO did this, the in-house counsel would advise that CEO against it - lest someone launch a civil suit for liability. Maybe that's far fetched, but people have sued for less.

Apple was the first company that put something on their main page for the tsunami relief effort. At times they may seem like a heartless corporation when secrets about their next great thing are being floated around, but I think they do feel the need to be good corporate citizens in any small way they can.
  • Reply 8 of 12
    newnew Posts: 3,244member
    Maybe Apple should do something for inner city kids? That would be nice...
  • Reply 9 of 12
    e1618978e1618978 Posts: 6,075member
    I don't know if it is the drugs, but I cried when I read the article.
  • Reply 10 of 12
    ricksbrainricksbrain Posts: 517member
    Frankly, I find of thread in this vein kinda' nasty--

Anything the man does is considered PR fodder. To whose benefit is it to second guess a kind gesture? Geez, even if he's the antichrist and he said a kind word, take it at face value.

Bleh...all for the sake of a thread.
  • Reply 11 of 12
    hardeeharharhardeeharhar Posts: 4,841member
    Quote:

Originally posted by e1618978

Look, the doc told you not to go off the anti-depressants...
  • Reply 12 of 12
    mariusmarius Posts: 23member
    Quote:

Originally posted by e1618978

...maybe your new age made you sentimental...