Briefly: no special event this week, iTunes video-casting support

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
No special event from Apple this week

It's no longer expected that Apple on Thursday will host a special event to introduce new music-related products. Sources now report that media alerts sent from Apple to several French publications were slightly misleading and misinterpreted.

In a message to the publications last month, the company asked that some time be reserved on July 7th when new products would be presented to them. Similar messages sent to the publications in prior months had resulted in media events that delivered Apple related goods.

Instead, sources say either Apple France or Apple Europe on Thursday will brief some media outlets on the latest iPod-related products. According to our checks, these products are existing Apple and third-party iPod accessories.

Existing video-casting support in iTunes

The RSS technology implementation in iTunes 4.9 will syndicate almost any valid RSS feed, regardless of what filetypes it links. Couple this with support for video playback, also recently added to itunes, and its easy to see that iPod Podcasting support easily translates into iTunes Video-casting support.

One tipster has setup a standard RSS feed linked to video files of type .mov and .mp4. Users of iTunes 4.9 can subscribe to this feed as a Podcast. It loads just fine. Instead of streaming pre-recorded audio content to the user, each entry in the Postcasts launches pre-recorded video content from within iTunes in popup windows.

Could this be yet another reason for Apple to develop a video iPod and continue to push the envelop in terms of storage capacities? Last summer Apple through job listings sought a new member for its iPod engineering team who had experience in "video integration."

Several Wall Street analysts have also vouched their belief that Apple will debut an iPod with video capabilities just prior to this year's holiday buying season. One analyst also hinted that the recently added iTunes video support could serve as a precursor to an iTunes Video store.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    ct77ct77 Posts: 49member
    I can't wait for the day when I don't have to drive to my local video store to pick up a movie.

I would love to see an iTunes Video Store that's as easy to use as the iTunes Music Store.

I know there are services like NetFlicks, but it's just not the same thing -- plus, that approach poisons the planet (all the shipping of plastic from place to place).
  • Reply 2 of 13
    i-am-an-elfi-am-an-elf Posts: 107member
    Dude, that already existis and I use it. It's called netflix blockbuster online or even Limewire if you want to get rid of the dvd altogether. Try it, i'm lovin' it.
  • Reply 3 of 13
    banchobancho Posts: 1,517member
    Quote:

Originally posted by i-am-an-elf

Dude, that already existis and I use it. It's called netflix blockbuster online or even Limewire if you want to get rid of the dvd altogether. Try it, i'm lovin' it.

He mentioned Netflix and Limewire isn't quite the answer from a legal perspective.
  • Reply 4 of 13
    666666 Posts: 134member
    The shutdown for such rumours used to be Steve Jobs' opposition to making the ipod anything but a music player, but now we've all learnt better than trusting Steve Jobs' word, this is looking like it's going to happen.

They'd need to up the screen though, watching movies on that tiny thing would be a joke.
  • Reply 5 of 13
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    heh... on demand podCasting, not bad... ummm can someone like dutchPear help translate (summarise) important bits?

i seemed to have accidentally pooped out the babelFish i stuck in my ear last night

AAC on demand is nice! the classical music one sounds crystal clear.
  • Reply 6 of 13
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    my one niggle is that for some of the video streaming the blockiness is a bit too much, because of my poor internet connection, or not enough force-keyframes or something

MovieTrailerCast? hmm... the POWER of XML. heh. it's all coming together now
  • Reply 7 of 13
    With the recent mainstream attention that PodCasting has gotten, paired with iTunes ability to playback video in all industry standards (especially H.264) I feel we're on the verge of Apple not only revolutionizing the radio industry by allowing people to create their own audio broadcasts, but also the television industry by putting the control back in the hands of the people.

Now, anyone with a mac, a video camera, and an internet connection can create their own video podcast and publish it for mass consumption. No more need to be in front of your TV when the networks wants you to. No more programming your VCR or TiVo, either!

Hopefully, with the release of iTunes 5 we'll see more robust podcast organization so you can separate genres or videos from audio (at least the ability to sort them by other criteria than Podcast name).

The video iPod is all but guaranteed with recent integrations of video into iTunes. The popularity of the PSP shows that people are willing to use a smaller form factor to keep themselves entertained. If they could figure out a way to make the entire face of an iPod into an attractive video display, I believe that would be decent enough size and it would allow them to utilize many of the existing cases and peripherals. The controls could either be on the sides or on the back in such a manner as Apple is gifted at making easy to use (or even the screen could act as the interface, e.g. Olympus m:Robe).
  • Reply 8 of 13
    leptonlepton Posts: 111member
    There are several video casts on iTunes already. Check out "Tiki Bar TV" for a fun example.
  • Reply 9 of 13
    denmarudenmaru Posts: 208member
    MAn... that I didn´t think of this idea...

Seems cool though, Video-Casting seems like a good idea - I just can´t wait to hear the 56k Users complain :3
  • Reply 10 of 13
    supertedsuperted Posts: 41member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Denmaru

Seems cool though, Video-Casting seems like a good idea - I just can´t wait to hear the 56k Users complain :3

I'm complaining....
  • Reply 11 of 13
    louzerlouzer Posts: 1,054member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Denmaru

Wait, the stupidity and banality of most podcasts, but with Video? Wow, I can't wait either!
  • Reply 12 of 13
    Quote:

Originally posted by Louzer

Wait, the stupidity and banality of most podcasts, but with Video? Wow, I can't wait either!

If I were to avoid all things that contained banality or stupidity, I'd stop using the internet all together!!!

You're going to have the bad seeds in every facet of technology. That's been proven time and again. But it's the prospect of finding those that embrace it and utilize it for things that interest you and that you can find in common that make these new-fangled contraptions so appealing!!

If the concept of podcasting was of no interest to you and you thought higher of yourself than to subject yourself to their self-apparent stupidity, why would you even bother reading a discussion forum on the subject? You can't even spell Loser right!
  • Reply 13 of 13
    banchobancho Posts: 1,517member
    Quote:

Originally posted by lokithefirst

You can't even spell Loser right!

Although I'm not a huge fan of taking a swing at fellow forum members, this struck me funny...

On topic, of course there are some real crap podcasts. There are some nice ones too. I'm sure the same will go for video ones.