Desperate need for a G3

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 39
    xoolxool Posts: 2,460member
    So... how's the hunt going? You choose / find a machine yet?
  • Reply 22 of 39
    Unfortunately, not too well. Had a few prospects who offered a G3 350 for $75 plus shipping, a blue/white G3 with 10G HD for $100. But as soon as I say, okay. let's do it, something comes up on their end.

Things are getting to the wire. Please keep me in mind if you hear anything ANYTHING!

Xool, thanks for keeping in touch!
  • Reply 23 of 39
    exhibit_13exhibit_13 Posts: 110member
    here's some info on your uses that may be something to consider.

like other people said, garageband will be pretty taxing. i have a 450 mhz G3 imac with 512 mb ram, and i forced garageband to install via "show original" on the install dvd. when i try to create a song, i can't add more than about 3 tracks without it shutting down and telling me there is a processor overload. not so cool. i also have a 533 mhz G4 digital audio tower with 256 mb ram at my house, and that runs garageband a little better. i can add a number of tracks and it'll survive, though slowly.

so i would suggest finding a g3 imac with AT LEAST a 600 or 700 mhz processor, as well as AT LEAST 512 mb ram, if not more. otherwise, i'd go for a g4 tower, at least 400 or 500 mhz, with 512 mb ram. if you can find a cheap G4, i'd say definitely get that, but if you have to go for a G3 imac, don't settle for less than you need. out of experience and frustration, take my word on it. you don't want a crappy g3.
  • Reply 24 of 39
    powerpcpowerpc Posts: 109member
    I'll chime in with my suggestion...

I'd seriously look into a 400Mhz Graphite DV SE. Those things are work horses. Throw a 512MB Stick of RAM in it and it'll make a dandy first system for someone starting out.
  • Reply 25 of 39
    aquamacaquamac Posts: 585member
    Don't forget to try your local Mac User Group. People bring in old equipment all the time to mine. Usually it's an old Mac box they don't use any more and just give it away.
  • Reply 26 of 39
    Also, doesn't Tiger require a DVD drive to install?
  • Reply 27 of 39
    lundylundy Posts: 4,466member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ThinkingDifferent

Also, doesn't Tiger require a DVD drive to install?

Yes, but you can order it on CD once you get the DVDs. It costs shipping and handling.
  • Reply 28 of 39
    amoryaamorya Posts: 1,103member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Omega

Good luck with this on a G3. Unless things have changed recently you are going to struggle.

GarageBand is just possible on a 500mhz Pismo. It's usable if you don't stretch it too much.

Amorya
  • Reply 29 of 39
    o4blackwrxo4blackwrx Posts: 383member
    I have an iBook G3 12.1" 800mhz/combo drive/384MB RAM/Tiger/30GB that I am thinking of getting rid of. The only thing is the battery is dead, as in it can't be charged (has to be plugged in all the time) and has since been sitting in a corner in my room for the past 6 months. It's in good shape, some scratches on the bottom because of being in my car and used on an everyday basis for school (for one whole semester) and I'm not even using it considering what all I have (see below). So if interested make an offer. Also since it is for your son and it would be his first mac, I would be willing to let it go for a little cheaper to help the community out. I have iLife '05 on there as well, but to be honest I have never opened garageband on there so I can't tell you how it performs.
  • Reply 30 of 39
    Quote:

Originally posted by O4BlackWRX

I have an iBook G3 12.1" 800mhz/combo drive/384MB RAM/Tiger/30GB that I am thinking of getting rid of. The only thing is the battery is dead, as in it can't be charged (has to be plugged in all the time) and has since been sitting in a corner in my room for the past 6 months. It's in good shape, some scratches on the bottom because of being in my car and used on an everyday basis for school (for one whole semester) and I'm not even using it considering what all I have (see below). So if interested make an offer. Also since it is for your son and it would be his first mac, I would be willing to let it go for a little cheaper to help the community out. I have iLife '05 on there as well, but to be honest I have never opened garageband on there so I can't tell you how it performs.

I am very interested in the unit, but don't even know where to begin with pricing. Please quote me a price. My son read your post before me and he is literally drooling

He's a good kid and definitely earned it. If I can afford it, I will take it.
  • Reply 31 of 39
    tekmatetekmate Posts: 134member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Virtual Warrior

I am very interested in the unit, but don't even know where to begin with pricing. Please quote me a price. My son read your post before me and he is literally drooling

He's a good kid and definitely earned it. If I can afford it, I will take it.

Take a look at Ebay just type ibook g3 in the search engine you will be able to offer a fair amount after looking there.
  • Reply 32 of 39
    Quote:

Originally posted by TekMate

Take a look at Ebay just type ibook g3 in the search engine you will be able to offer a fair amount after looking there.

Thanks TekMate!
  • Reply 33 of 39
    o4blackwrxo4blackwrx Posts: 383member
    It also has an airport card it in, which as some of you know is hard to find....
  • Reply 34 of 39
    sandausandau Posts: 1,230member
    Make sure your G3 has Firewire at minimum. I bought a G3 (350mhz) which ran Panther ok, but for the same price ($130) I bought a G3 500mhz 18gb 640mb ram with Firewire and USB2.0 and it runs Tiger very well. Its extremely nice to have USB2.0, Firewire and the bigger drive...not to mention the upgraded video card (16mb) versus the 4mb. Makes a HUGE difference! And you can add more ram which is important if you are running OS X.

G3 350mhz - 4mb video, 6gb HD, USB1.1, 512mb max ram

G3 500mhz - 16mb video, 18gb HD, USB2.0, Firewire, 1gb max ram

Tiger requires Firewire, btw.

I bought both of mine off of craigslist.org.
  • Reply 35 of 39
    Quote:

Originally posted by sandau

Make sure your G3 has Firewire at minimum. I bought a G3 (350mhz) which ran Panther ok, but for the same price ($130) I bought a G3 500mhz 18gb 640mb ram with Firewire and USB2.0 and it runs Tiger very well. Its extremely nice to have USB2.0, Firewire and the bigger drive...not to mention the upgraded video card (16mb) versus the 4mb. Makes a HUGE difference! And you can add more ram which is important if you are running OS X.

G3 350mhz - 4mb video, 6gb HD, USB1.1, 512mb max ram

G3 500mhz - 16mb video, 18gb HD, USB2.0, Firewire, 1gb max ram

Tiger requires Firewire, btw.

I bought both of mine off of craigslist.org.

Sandau and all that have replied.

Thanks for your assistance. I actually got two machines, one from craigslist the other from ebay!!

I wish I had thought of the Firewire

Thanks for all your help!
  • Reply 36 of 39
    robin hoodrobin hood Posts: 513member
    I would recommend a refurb eMac. Just make sure you get at least 512 megs o' RAM to run GarageBand smoothly, as 256 isn't really good enough if you want to do more than basic stuff (web, email, word processing, etc).
  • Reply 37 of 39
    Quote:

Sandau and all that have replied.

Thanks for your assistance. I actually got two machines, one from craigslist the other from ebay!!

I wish I had thought of the Firewire

Thanks for all your help!

So... what did you finally decide on? I would have offered our 900 MHz 12" iBook, but now its being handed down to Mom.
  • Reply 38 of 39
    Quote:

Originally posted by Xool

So... what did you finally decide on? I would have offered our 900 MHz 12" iBook, but now its being handed down to Mom.

Actually brought two G3s, one a 450,13 gig HD, 4?? meg mem, the other 350, 9 Gig drive, 386 Mg.

BTW-- How much were you willing to sell the iBook for? Curious
  • Reply 39 of 39
    Quote:

Actually brought two G3s, one a 450,13 gig HD, 4?? meg mem, the other 350, 9 Gig drive, 386 Mg.

BTW-- How much were you willing to sell the iBook for? Curious

We didn't have a set price in mind, but some brief poking about on ebay made me think that we could sell it for $500+. It's been upgraded across the board with more memory, a 60 GB HD, and AirPort.