London News: Post Experiences, Discussion Here

Comments

• Reply 21 of 170
    digitaldavedigitaldave Posts: 445member
    edit: I deleted the post as my original comment was not appropriate under the circumstances.

Sorry .
  • Reply 22 of 170
    scepticsceptic Posts: 37member
    Quote:

Originally posted by digitaldave

Stiff upper lip old boy!

heh.

It is kinda eerie though.

Unlike 9/11 which was out of the blue, in hindsight there was a horrible sense of inevitability about this type of attack.

I think this accounts for the less hysterical/more subdued response.
  • Reply 23 of 170
    Quote:

Originally posted by Sceptic

heh.

It is kinda eerie though.

Unlike 9/11 which was out of the blue, in hindsight there was a horrible sense of inevitability about this type of attack.

I think this accounts for the less hysterical/more subdued response.

Really? I suppose you can say that it's been timed to coincide with the start of the G8 summit, but apart from that...? Maybe I need to read the news more .
  • Reply 24 of 170
    scepticsceptic Posts: 37member
    Quote:

Originally posted by digitaldave

Really? I suppose you can say that it's been timed to coincide with the start of the G8 summit, but apart from that...? Maybe I need to read the news more .

Well after Madrid, the ongoing shanagans in Iraq, the fact England is the principal ally in the "War on Terror"...an attack in London doesn't really seem that unbelievable. Certainly doesn't have that "OMG WTF" quality 9/11 had.
  • Reply 25 of 170
    Quote:

Originally posted by Sceptic

Well after Madrid, the ongoing shanagans in Iraq, the fact England is the principal ally in the "War on Terror"...an attack in London doesn't really seem that unbelievable. Certainly doesn't have that "OMG WTF" quality 9/11 had.

Agreed. Sorry, I thought you meant that there had been some more recent specific indications, but I now see where you are coming from.
  • Reply 26 of 170
    jambojambo Posts: 3,036member
    Very sad.

My thoughts go out to all our members in London and anyone else affected by this brutal attack.
  • Reply 27 of 170
    alex londonalex london Posts: 613member
    It's not all stiff upper lips and " London can take it". There was panic, confusion, screaming,shock, anger,revulsion.
  • Reply 28 of 170
    Quote:

Originally posted by Alex London

It's not all stiff upper lips and " London can take it". There was panic, confusion, screaming,shock, anger,revulsion.

Alex,

Please accept my appologies if you were offended by my earlier comment . I have deleted it, as I now see that it was inappropriate under the serious circumstances.

Dave.
  • Reply 29 of 170
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,016member
    A series of bus and subway attacks kills 40 and injures 300. Blair makes remarks and leaves G8 summit.

Link: http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...700221_pf.html

First, let me say my prayers are with the families of those killed, with the injured, and with British people. May you find who is responsible and kill them.

• Reply 30 of 170
    No offence Dave , thanks for your words.
  • Reply 31 of 170
    Please don't talk of more killing today, thankyou. There is also a sticky thread in AO at the moment.
  • Reply 32 of 170
    newnew Posts: 3,244member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Harald

Alive and well.

I was on the fucking tube. Meeting in town in 0900, caught the train from Liverpool Street.

Very freaked out city. But this is not our 9/11. People aren't crying all over town. These fuckers won't cow us. I'll be on the tube tomorrow.

Fuck them.

good to hear that you are ok harald.

How about you, hassan?
  • Reply 33 of 170
    From CNN:

Death toll in London blasts at least 40, U.S. sources say, citing British

government as source.

My best to all of you.

moe
  • Reply 34 of 170
    naplesxnaplesx Posts: 3,743member
    Heartfelt condolences to our fellows - the Brits.

For those of you in London, this was as much an attack on the US as it was on you. We consider you guys our brothers and sisters.

Stay strong. Be steadfast and remember our prayers and thoughts are with you.
  • Reply 35 of 170
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    Good luck to y'all. Hope your loved ones are well.
  • Reply 36 of 170
    haraldharald Posts: 2,152member
    Very interesting ... trying to open some of the stations already. People are being so strong about this, and there is no hate being bandied about.

*Things are getting back to normal -- we will NOT be cowed*

Amazing. I love this city.
  • Reply 37 of 170
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    Wow Harald.

Best to all of you.

Wasn't midwinter in London?
  • Reply 38 of 170
    bergzbergz Posts: 1,045member
    The other day at the Olympic Comittee Albert of Monaco tried to undermine Madrid's chance of winning the 2012 slot by underlining the symbolic car bomb ETA announced and exploded near the Olympic Stadium there, as if it were an indication of unpreparedness.

There is a big difference between cold-blooded political assassinations and fundamentalist violence. The latter can and will eventually happen when- and wherever it likes.

--B
  • Reply 39 of 170
    fellowshipfellowship Posts: 5,038member
    My heart goes out to all in London with the news of this terror. It is my prayer that the people of our world can come to a table of peace and learn to love each of our neighbors as ourselves.

May our world come to know peace and may the victoms of these attacks in London and their families be comforted.

With sorrow and extended love,

Fellowship
  • Reply 40 of 170
    frank777frank777 Posts: 5,839member
    Good to hear you're ok Harald.

My thoughts and prayers go out to all those who have lost loved ones.