London News: Post Experiences, Discussion Here

Comments

• Reply 61 of 170
    I really don't think this a catalyst like you fear Marc, I work in a very multi-cultural, multi faith Primary school. We are not going to go backwards into them and us, revenge,demonisation etc. I liked the copper at the press conference saying that Islamic terrorists was a contradiction.
  • Reply 62 of 170
    powermacg6powermacg6 Posts: 123member
    Quote:

Originally posted by sunilraman

cool. note to selves... marcUK now is powermacG6

I wouldn't bother, I was going to hang up on this forum, but I had to say something on this, but soon I'll be gone for good.
  • Reply 63 of 170
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,419member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Alex London

I really don't think this a catalyst like you fear Marc, I work in a very multi-cultural, multi faith Primary school. We are not going to go backwards into them and us, revenge,demonisation etc. I liked the copper at the press conference saying that Islamic terrorists was a contradiction.

Alex I agree. He stood up for what was right. Islam does not = Terrorism. Terrorists are the seedy side of any sub-culture or religious schism. We must know this and eschew making gross generalizations
  • Reply 64 of 170
    Quote:

Originally posted by Alex London

I hope not, I don't know how much you've experienced life outside London, but in the country, where I live in small towns and ruralness, where there is only a handful of muslims, a handful of blacks, a couple of sikhs, and a huge swathe of bigotted narrow minded white right winger nationalist types, life and attitude is very different.
  • Reply 65 of 170
    Perhaps the discussion of causes, responsibility, religion, social factors, etc. could be taken to the thread in PoliticalOutsider to leave this thread for news, well-wishing and other directly-related discussion. Might be better organised that way.
  • Reply 66 of 170
    groveratgroverat Posts: 10,872member
    MacTheFork:

That's exactly why I'm going through this thread with a giant scythe.

Keep all discussion in this thread to positivity and condolensces. If that's not what is in your post, expect it to be edited or deleted.

Take all critical insight into the causes and effects of this tragedy to PO where they belong.

(And people actually in London/thereabouts have a much longer leash than everyone else to say what they feel.)

[edit]

Bolded a portion so it would be read.
  • Reply 67 of 170
    shawnjshawnj Posts: 6,656member
    Midwinter is okay:

Quote:

Recap

Posted by scott on July 7th, 2005 ? Posted in Around Here

So I got to the tube this morning at a little past 9:00 am and an announcement came over saying that there were severe delays and that ?the Piccadilly Line is, um, non-existant.? So I popped over to the Circle/District lines to go over to Vitoria to take it up to King?s Cross. After standing there for a few minutes, packed in like sardines, the driver told us to get off the train, that all underground service had ben suspended.

So I popped out of the tube station with everyone else and stared at the bus map, which no one knew how to read.

I hopped the 49 bus to get up around Hyde Park, then got off to get on the 9 or 10 to go to Euston or King?s Cross, on the north end of town.

On the bus, everyone was talking about explosions in the tubes and, apparently, on a bus in Russell Square, which is near the British Library.

Then I learned I was on the rigth bus but going the wrong way. So I rode it to the junction, then grabbed the 9 going the right way. Then more sirens. Then people started talking about how you couldn?t get into central London, and that the only way I would be able to get up near King?s Cross would be to go kind of around the center of town, by bus, and then walk in.

So I got off around Hyde Park, which is where that bus was making its premature termination.

More sirens. More police. Tons of people in the streets.

I walked down to a bus stop for 49, which goes almost to our front door, and walked home, where I found a note from her saying she was at the internet cafe. I figured she must?ve seen something about the chaos on the news, and so I hoofed it down to the cafe, where I was greeted with a big hug.

And here I am. Blogging. Amidst what seems to be a series of co-ordinated terrorist attacks.

• Reply 68 of 170
    Good news.
  • Reply 68 of 170
    groveratgroverat Posts: 10,872member
    That is fantastic news. I am very happy that our London contingent here seems to be ok. Sadly, there are dozens of families out there who cannot say the same.

Sad and angry about sums it up.
  • Reply 70 of 170
    futuremacfuturemac Posts: 242member
    wow i just woke up and saw this on drudge, (i slept through 911 as well) much love and support from us yanks over here to our english brothers over there. dont let them get what they want. peace...
  • Reply 71 of 170
    midwintermidwinter Posts: 10,060member
    Terrorists are assholes. Bastards are clearly trying to keep me from working in the British Library.

I was in transit while it was all going down, so all we heard were rumors and whatnot. I ended my attempt to find a bus route from Gloucester to Euston when I was told for the umteenth time that central London was closed.

And that Piccadilly line between Russel Sq. and King's Cross? That's the one I've been taking every day. Around that time.

Decided to sleep in a bit this morning.
  • Reply 72 of 170
    sammi josammi jo Posts: 4,634member
    I was in London last month. Condolences to all.

• Reply 73 of 170
    My wife gets that tube to Russell Square three mornings a week, to work in part of the nearby Great Ormond Street Hospital. She is extremely freaked out.
  • Reply 74 of 170
    Could we show when things have been edited or deleted, it's getting wierd replying to stuff that disappears just to have measured responses vanish as well.
  • Reply 75 of 170
    My brother was on a train out of Liverpool Street Station, my flatmate on a train going to Liverpool Street that was stopped at Hackney Downs, three stops away.

They're totally cool, it's odd.
  • Reply 76 of 170
    Quote:

Originally posted by Hassan i Sabbah

My brother was on a train out of Liverpool Street Station, my flatmate on a train going to Liverpool Street that was stopped at Hackney Downs, three stops away.

They're totally cool, it's odd.

terrorism doesn't work if you dont allow it to terrorize you.
  • Reply 77 of 170
    kneelbeforezodkneelbeforezod Posts: 1,120member
    I'm happy to hear that the London AIers are OK. I'm still checking on friends in the area and so far everyone is safe. I hope the same is true for everyone here.
  • Reply 78 of 170
    haraldharald Posts: 2,152member
    OK, check it.

Everyone is sad, everyone is a bit freaked. Everyone is angry. Hospitals we know full of people we know with injuries, friends and relatives either on the network or even on the trains that were hit. I feel lucky, so lucky, that no-one I know has been killed.

The vibe here is melancholy. Honestly. From the weatherman to the pizza guy to the cops. Not even fear. Not even fear, can you check that? Shock and confusion. Sadness. But not fear.

And I have spoken to no-one that is bitterly angry -- we are not calling for blood, not looking for someone to hit. No-one, *no-one* is saying, "Let's find these people and make them hurt." So wonderfully British -- just walking home, every last Muslim, Christian, Jew or whatever, walking home together. I believe this is why there is no hatred or fury or jabbing the air. We were all Londoners before and we're all Londoners now.

Poles, Americans, English, Bengalis, Iranians, Scandis, whatever. Try and get me to be blame any one group for this right now and don't be surprised if you see what fury looks like.
  • Reply 79 of 170
    alex londonalex london Posts: 613member
    Harald, you and Hassan have spoken wisely and movingly today. Thankyou for your eloquence.
  • Reply 80 of 170
    formerlurkerformerlurker Posts: 2,686member
    I'm very glad to hear that AI'ers, their family and friends, are unharmed. Also heartened by the reserved but steely reactions being shown by Londoners.

My best to all affected by this.