Do you guys want dual optical drives built into next PowerMac tower?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Title says it all. I'm really surprised this hasn't come up since Apple announced it's partnership with Intel. I remember this did come up when the G5 PM was first introduced. Obviously, we all know now that the G5 processor runs way hot. Just the facts. Hotter than Intel or even AMD?s current high performance chips.

OK, so even in that BIG box that is the G5 PM, there?s no room for an extra optical drive. Apple now has a chance to rectify this. Should they? Or is the "clean" look of the G5 PM worth keeping?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 26
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    Why would you want two optical drives?
  • Reply 2 of 26
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,423member
    With DVD burners at 16x and fast CD burning I've always felt dual opticals were rather superfluous. However I can see the point of those who prefer them as well.
  • Reply 3 of 26
    skatmanskatman Posts: 609member
    Hmm.. why dual optical drives?

Do you can copy DVDs and CDs on the fly.
  • Reply 4 of 26
    ebbyebby Posts: 3,110member
    I have wanted to use 2 CD's at a time, but You could get a external CD/DVD drive for that. Mostly burning 20 DVD's and wanting to watch a movie at the same time when I was working on a project.
  • Reply 5 of 26
    jasonfjjasonfj Posts: 567member
    What's the fastest internal CD/DVD burner around these days? I used to have an additional 56x CD burner 'cos the 16x one was so slow.
  • Reply 6 of 26
    hardheadhardhead Posts: 644member
    All the above points are true. Fair enough. I should have fleshed out my comments more.

Less clutter, a bit more convenience, less expense overall.
  • Reply 7 of 26
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,423member
    Quote:

Originally posted by hardhead

All the above points are true. Fair enough. I should have fleshed out my comments more.

Less clutter, a bit more convenience, less expense overall.

Yes but at the same time there is also an reason for having two. Apple could easily add another bay and still keep clean lines. I think the optimal config is dual bays that can accept optical and 3 internal HD bays. You cover most needs of individuals today with that config.
  • Reply 8 of 26
    kennethkenneth Posts: 832member
    I'm glad I have the FW800 tower.
  • Reply 9 of 26
    costiquecostique Posts: 1,084member
    Though I voted that I don't care, I meant I don't need it. Actually, I'd prefer an extra internal hard drive bay.
  • Reply 10 of 26
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member
    The results of this poll will probably be quite misleading.

I assume you are asking about the mere inclusion of two trive bays rather than a minimum config which includes two optical drives.

Nobody would argue against 2 5.25" drive bays if sticking to a case the size of the current G5 case. However, that isn't what the thread title or poll addresses.
  • Reply 11 of 26
    dfiler, you assume correct.

Just for the record hmurch, I DO like the idea of dual drives. Very handy to have two op bays built in.

This gives you the option of putting in a dedicated high speed DVD player-burner in one bay and a high speed CD-RW in the other. Of course, I'm speaking of the options available on the PC side right now.
  • Reply 12 of 26
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    I remember several years ago when most CD burners and DVD drives did not come standard, and so PC users would stick after market drives in alongside their standard CD drives. But it really doesn't seem necessary today. Options are good, of course, but at some point you have to look at what tiny fraction of users would want two optical drives, and then make a good design decision. I personally doubt that enough people would use them to make it worth it.
  • Reply 13 of 26
    vinney57vinney57 Posts: 1,162member
    Never going to happen. Pointless topic.
  • Reply 14 of 26
    slugheadslughead Posts: 1,169member
    Quote:

Originally posted by vinney57

True. I think they should though.

For the amount I paid for my G5, I think it's an utter travesty that I have to have an ugly external enclosure for most of my storage. Not only does it cost hundreds of dollars, but it's really quite an eyesore.
  • Reply 15 of 26
    mimacmimac Posts: 872member
    Giving your customers another option is always good
  • Reply 16 of 26
    banchobancho Posts: 1,517member
    Room for another optical drive? Sure, fine.

Make 2 optical drives standard? No.
  • Reply 17 of 26
    nuttynutty Posts: 50member
    They should just make it a option when you buy the PM
  • Reply 18 of 26
    Quote:

Yes sir. What ever you say sir...
  • Reply 19 of 26
    Dual optical drives? I suppose someone needs them so optional please.

Personally I am holding out for a recordable Blu Ray drive before even considering upgrading.
  • Reply 20 of 26
    resres Posts: 711member
    I want room for three removable media drives and four internal dive bays like the Mac towers used to have. I truly dislike the current tower designs - they look ok, but they are not as functional as the old 9600/9600 cases. I don't want to cover my desk up with firewire drives, I want them in the tower case where they belong. </rant>