What is going on with the moderators?

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 32
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    Quote:

Originally posted by crazychester

Be quick chester.

Breathe everybody breathe. I was replying to the deleted thread when it was deleted but I was going to say, (until then) that I thought it was very gracious of AI to allow the thread and chide the AN members for not being a little more courteous.

So how about doing that and AI given the circumstances and Jack's recent death, how about if they behave, cutting a bit of slack here. You never know, it might have positive benefits for everybody.

You reap what you sow.

And I've changed the emphasis of where I post because I got fed up with someone here. adda if you think back, I'm sure you'll appreciate the irony of our respective situations.

This thread was moved away, because we feared that it will degenerate. We decided to move it back to Apple outsider, but to close it.

Of course if there is other news I will update the thread.
  • Reply 22 of 32
    steve666steve666 Posts: 2,600member
    If you all want to see an example of a moderator with delusions of grandeur, check out this reply from groverat to me in a PM.

All I did was suggest that instead of just locking a thread on Iran, he at least give a days warning so things can wrap up.

This is what is ruining Appleinsider:

Re: how nice

quote:

That means you should just try to be fair, and not take sides.

Ok... did I take sides?

quote:

At least, if you are going to lock a thread give a days warning so the discussion can wrap up.

Warnings can be given. Or threads can just be locked. It's really not a hard-and-fast rule either way. You can prefer that I had done it another way, but do not pretend to decide what must happen.
  • Reply 23 of 32
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    Normally Steve 666, such posts are against our posting guidelines and should be deleted.

But as Groverat's answer appears so evil, I will let people judge by themselves.

Of course no comments will be allowed.

In the contrary this thread will be closed.

My last sentance was a warning
  • Reply 24 of 32
    Are you kidding me?
  • Reply 25 of 32
    audiopollutionaudiopollution Posts: 3,226member
    Quote:

Originally posted by steve666

Are you kidding me?

While I can understand the frustration of threads being locked, there are rules about discussing issues with a specific moderator. It's in the posting guidelines:

Quote:

Moderators' and administrators' most visible functions are the locking and moving of threads. If your thread is locked, an explanation should be posted by the moderator who locked the thread as to why. If you feel the moderator who locked your thread has erred in locking it, e-mail or private message the moderator or an administrator about it. Do not create a new thread protesting the lock, post complains, or a make a thread in Suggestions about it.

Quote:

Do not start a thread in Suggestions or make a post in any other forum for the purpose of expressing displeasure with the actions of a moderator or administrator. Comments meant for moderators and administrators should be sent directly to the moderators and administrators. If you do not wish to address the moderator with whom you have a complaint, then contact one of the other administrators. If you have a legitimate suggestion as to how a potential problem could be fixed, express it in a manner which will not be interpreted as hostile.

I don't think the point can be made much more clearly than that.

Obviously there are many occasions when personalities will continue to clash. The mods have had discussions in the past about avoiding taking action in threads that they have posted in or when it might seem that a thread was locked/deleted to spite a specific member with whom the mod has been sparring in the past. Unfortunately, if a thread has come to a point that it requires action, sometimes the only mod online is the one who would appear to show some impropriety. We can't leave a thread to unravel for the lack of a thoroughly impartial mod.
  • Reply 26 of 32
    OK, and so the best way to deal with it would be to email the contact info on Appleinsider, which I did.

And I received no reply, which I never do.

So, what it boils down to is that whoever the moderator is that is causing problems, or is clearly an egomaniac basically has carte blanche to do whatever he wants because we are powerless to do anything about it, including complain.

Am I correct in this assumption?
  • Reply 27 of 32
    Quote:

OK, and so the best way to deal with it would be to email the contact info on Appleinsider, which I did.

And I received no reply, which I never do.

So, what it boils down to is that whoever the moderator is that is causing problems, or is clearly an egomaniac basically has carte blanche to do whatever he wants because we are powerless to do anything about it, including complain.

Am I correct in this assumption?

If you contact the forum Admins (Powerdoc or Jambo), as suggested in the posting guideline, steps will be taken. We mods are all just a mouse-click away from being regular members.

We're also, however, a mouse-click away from deleting ad-hom attacks. Keep that in mind when you reply in this thread.
  • Reply 28 of 32
    Quote:

Originally posted by audiopollution

If you contact the forum Admins (Powerdoc or Jambo), as suggested in the posting guideline, steps will be taken. We mods are all just a mouse-click away from being regular members.

We're also, however, a mouse-click away from deleting ad-hom attacks. Keep that in mind when you reply in this thread.

Why do you say that, I haven't been nasty at all.

Anyhoo, so when I email AI I am actually emailing Powerdoc?

And, what are the chances of the person I am complaining about actually being stripped of his moderator duties?

I think there is a pattern formed by this individual that is why I am asking.

Also, why have a feedback forum if we have to be so careful about what we can say? Isn't it kind of silly? JMHO.
  • Reply 29 of 32
    Quote:

Why do you say that, I haven't been nasty at all.

'Delusions of grandeur' could be construed as either a shrewd observation or an attack, I suppose. 'Egomaniac' begins to stretch it for me. I don't want to see it go past that point.

Quote:

Anyhoo, so when I email AI I am actually emailing Powerdoc?

No, you would be emailing Kasper, who runs the site. His concentration is the front news page, though.

Powerdoc and Jambo can be contacted using the PM system. I can see a need for a more straight-forward explanation of that in the guidleines.

Quote:

And, what are the chances of the person I am complaining about actually being stripped of his moderator duties?

I think there is a pattern formed by this individual that is why I am asking.

I couldn't answer that.

Quote:

Also, why have a feedback forum if we have to be so careful about what we can say? Isn't it kind of silly? JMHO.

The rules have been in place for a lot longer than I've been asked to enforce them. I think the intent was that people should be able to sort out their issues in a private, intelligent manner.
  • Reply 30 of 32
    >Delusions of grandeur' could be construed as either a shrewd observation or an attack, I suppose. 'Egomaniac' begins to stretch it for me. I don't want to see it go past that point.<

Oh yeh, forgot about that

>No, you would be emailing Kasper, who runs the site. His concentration is the front news page, though.<

Is Kasper a ghost? He never answers his email.

>Powerdoc and Jambo can be contacted using the PM system. I can see a need for a more straight-forward explanation of that in the guidleines.<

I tried PMing Groverat. We all see how that turned out! Next time I'll try one of those two.

>The rules have been in place for a lot longer than I've been asked to enforce them. I think the intent was that people should be able to sort out their issues in a private, intelligent manner<

I tried that at first, but he basically jumped all over me. I will go right to the top next time. Or next to the top.
  • Reply 31 of 32
    aquamacaquamac Posts: 585member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Powerdoc

We will never allow threads like this :

http://forums.appleinsider.com/showt...threadid=55691This forum will stay clean.

A vast majority of our members like it this way.

I agree, but feel a constructive AppleNova thread is possible. Thanks, . A q u a M a c .
  • Reply 32 of 32
    ichiban_jayichiban_jay Posts: 660member
    I think this thread can use some more positive energy so here:

No need to thank me, I'm just your average American doing my job.