Quark and Intel?

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Does anyone know what environment Quark is written in? The G5 or OSX was held up because Quark were not ready and Apple had to keep OS9 machines available simply because so many important customers were using it.

Will Quark be the of the last applications to be "Intel Ready"?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    rongoldrongold Posts: 302member
    I don't know but their CEO left 2 days after Steve made the announcement.
  • Reply 2 of 11
    addisonaddison Posts: 1,185member
    I saw that.
  • Reply 3 of 11
    amoryaamorya Posts: 1,103member
    We now have a competitor to Quark that is actually competitive, though. The only reason (and I admit it's a powerful one) keeping many people with Quark is legacy files/workflows. Maybe if InDesign is so much better a citizen then more people will switch?

We can only hope

Amorya
  • Reply 4 of 11
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Amorya

We now have a competitor to Quark that is actually competitive, though. The only reason (and I admit it's a powerful one) keeping many people with Quark is legacy files/workflows. Maybe if InDesign is so much better a citizen then more people will switch?

We can only hope

Amorya

Maybe, since quark is hurting so bad, Adobe could license the xpress format(s) and make a plugin availible for inDesign for a litle extra green, like they did with pagemaker, or develope a "painless transfer" kit to convert xpress->Indesign.

I don't use these apps day to day but from whatI hear most of quark is still geard to OS9, that means older slower hardware, ancient system archetexture, and probably a rotten codebase on the part of Quark, I could be wrong, but whenever I hear Quark mentioned, it is usualy in the same paragraph as "We still use OS9." If this is true, then Quark deserves to fail for not adapting to the changing technology. If adobe and Macromedia can switch the entire workflow to OSX smoothly, Quark ahould be able to as well.
  • Reply 5 of 11
    addisonaddison Posts: 1,185member
    We know that Quark is working on version 7 and promises a lot of new features and they are very bullish about it, but I too wonder how old the code is and if they are going to be sluggish or if they have learnt their lesson?
  • Reply 6 of 11
    jesperasjesperas Posts: 524member
    I think a lot of Quark users are jumping ship to InDesign, so it shouldn't be an issue in the future.

Apple will probably still have to support PowerPC Macs for a while, but it won't be because of Quark.
  • Reply 7 of 11
    karl kuehnkarl kuehn Posts: 756member
    The current Quark is almost certainly a Metroworks CFM application. the rumor is that Quark had a project to make the next version of Express on top of the Mono project and use Cairo as the display system so that everything would be truly cross-platform right out of the box. That would also take care of Intel/PPC issues.

But right after the rumor surfaced everything got real quiet. It could have been because the rumor was dead wrong, or because it was right and hushed up.
  • Reply 8 of 11
    fahlmanfahlman Posts: 740member
    In a recent article on MacWorld, Adobe attributed the adoption of InDesign to its ability to run on OS X while XPress ran in Classic. The switch to Intel is an opportunity for Quark to not lose further market share by having XPress 7 ship as a universal binary this fall or a chance for InDesign to strengthen its hold on the market if Adobe can ship a version of InDesign as a universal binary if Quark does not.
  • Reply 9 of 11
    I switched to InDesign at version 2 and do not use Quark any longer other than to open existing files and save to version 4 as InDesign opens version 4 Quark files with very little reforatting required

Bikerdude
  • Reply 10 of 11
    while having an os x native version certainly helped indesign, i probably would have switched regardless. indesign is just a better application than quark and it's much more interoperable with the other adobe apps obviously.
  • Reply 11 of 11
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    I think the real question is, "Why the hell would anybody continue using Quark with Indesign on the market?"

Oh yeah. Everybody in the print industry has to wait for the next guy to use it before they'll use it. And visa-versa.