Cable Manangement?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I, as I'm sure many of you, am anal about keeping my desk looking good. What are some of the techniques you use for your cable manangement?

I use a powerbook but have a new cinema display hooked to it, and EyeTV, a LaCie Firewire drive, will have a scanner and a printer soon and I just don't know the best way of hiding the cables (since my desk is pretty open).

Pictures? Links? Please keep pictures small or link to bigger ones. Horizontal scrolling sucks =)

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Velcro cable ties, best thing since sliced bread, if you want a cleaner look and do not plan to moce stuff too often, consider zip-ties.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    regreg Posts: 832member
    I have a small cable tray that I nounted on the back underside of my desk. I also have no problem drilling holes in in my desks so my cables come staight up to their connections. My biggest problem are the bookcases and shelves that hold my reference books and software. So the desk looks good but the shelves hold too much.

reg
  • Reply 3 of 6
    Also, having an 20" Cinema Display with an ADC connector helps a lot. Though I also have an L-shaped desk, so I can stuff most of the cables in the corner section where it can't be seen.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    tacojohntacojohn Posts: 980member
    Quote:

Originally posted by reg

I have a small cable tray that I nounted on the back underside of my desk. I also have no problem drilling holes in in my desks so my cables come staight up to their connections. My biggest problem are the bookcases and shelves that hold my reference books and software. So the desk looks good but the shelves hold too much.

reg

I have a cable tray that I just picked up at Ikea for $10. It works great and keeps the mess off of the floor and out of view.

Velcro ties are cool too, but they suck if you plug and unplug a lot.
  • Reply 5 of 6
    ebbyebby Posts: 3,110member
    Any suggestions for a large ... cable ... problem?

Basically my setup relies on the Crack Theory?.

(Pull the desk from the wall a bit, shove the wires in the crack and forget about it.)

Looks nice from the front though.

Velcro straps are nice but the don't hold nearly enough cables. I am looking for reusable cable management. Things change all the time.
  • Reply 6 of 6
    For thin cables I use those little clips that came with ipod and I think my keyboard. I roll up calbles and twisti tie them together as well.