PC iPod compatible with MACs?

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
I'm planning on making the switch soon (pc to mac). I've been using my iPod on the PC and was wondering if it was compatible with MAC without doing a full restore. My iPod is the only copy of the music I have since I'm headed off to college.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    progmacprogmac Posts: 1,850member
    MAC = Media Access Control

Mac or mac = computer made by apple

while i believe you can use a PC-formatted iPod with a Mac, apple recommends unloading the songs onto your new computer and then re-formatting the iPod and reloading it. but yes, the mac CAN read a PC-formatted iPod.

here is what Apple has to say about this:

http://www.apple.com/switch/howto/ipod/

good luck
  • Reply 2 of 6
    apoderapoder Posts: 49member
    thanks progmac, I'll make sure to do that once I get my Mac
  • Reply 3 of 6
    geekdreamsgeekdreams Posts: 280member
    A Windows-formatted iPod will work on a Mac, but a Mac-formatted iPod will not work on Windows. Go figure.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    mpmoriartympmoriarty Posts: 289member
    I always wondered to myself why Apple doesn't build some functionality into the PC version of iTunes to read HFS+ formatted iPods. Or is it really something that needs to be part of the actual OS to work.
  • Reply 5 of 6
    mikefmikef Posts: 698member
    Quote:

Originally posted by MPMoriarty

I always wondered to myself why Apple doesn't build some functionality into the PC version of iTunes to read HFS+ formatted iPods. Or is it really something that needs to be part of the actual OS to work.

No, it's possible to implement the HFS+ filesystem in an application (like iTunes) but it's probably not worth the time and resources. I use both a Mac and a PC and just keep my iPod formatted on the PC. No big deal either way. Just means I can't install the iPod software updates from the Mac without reformatting.
  • Reply 6 of 6
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Quote:

Originally posted by MPMoriarty

XPlay does exactly what you're asking; it's a Windows HFS+ driver specifically for the iPod.