SBC DSL deal, do I need their modem?

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Okay, so for those that know of it, the SBC(phone company) DSL for 14 a month(pre-taxes, etc.) looks good. I have powerbook with airport built in and an AirTunes module. Trying to figure out if I need their modem? I called and asked them, but they didn't seem to have a great idea of what I was talking about. Anyone tell me if I would need the SBC/phone company modem or am I good with what I have? Also contemplating buying Airport base station if I need to get the modem just because then it's mine and not someone else's. thanks for words of advice

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    lundylundy Posts: 4,466member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Meeces

Okay, so for those that know of it, the SBC(phone company) DSL for 14 a month(pre-taxes, etc.) looks good. I have powerbook with airport built in and an AirTunes module. Trying to figure out if I need their modem? I called and asked them, but they didn't seem to have a great idea of what I was talking about. Anyone tell me if I would need the SBC/phone company modem or am I good with what I have? Also contemplating buying Airport base station if I need to get the modem just because then it's mine and not someone else's. thanks for words of advice

If it's DSL, you need a DSL modem.

The Airport base station only has a regular dial-up modem, so that isn't going to help you.

Can you post the details of what they are offering? A lot of them offer cheap and/or substandard stuff and you are better off with your own solution, especially if you need a router. Here are some questions we need answered to help you out:

1. Does the SBC DSL service use PPPoE?

2. Is their modem a USB modem or an ethernet modem?

3. $14 a month sounds awfully cheap for DSL. Is it a promotional rate, and are you sure it is for DSL and not dial-up?
  • Reply 2 of 6
    gene cleangene clean Posts: 3,481member
    Quote:

Originally posted by lundy

1. Does the SBC DSL service use PPPoE?

2. Is their modem a USB modem or an ethernet modem?

3. $14 a month sounds awfully cheap for DSL. Is it a promotional rate, and are you sure it is for DSL and not dial-up?

1. Yes, it does.

2. It's an Ethernet modem, unless you ask for a USB modem.

3. It's true though, $14 if you sign up through the web. If not, it's regular price, $29,99.

And they supply a SpeadStream 5100 by Efficient Networks.
  • Reply 3 of 6
    lundylundy Posts: 4,466member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Gene Clean

1. Yes, it does.

2. It's an Ethernet modem, unless you ask for a USB modem.

3. It's true though, $14 if you sign up through the web. If not, it's regular price, $29,99.

And they supply a SpeadStream 5100 by Efficient Networks.

From what I can find, the 5100b is the modem that SBC has been shipping since Jan 2004. This model has built-in PPPoE.

So you don't actually NEED a router for that purpose. As long as you only have one computer you are all set. If you would want to share the DSL connection between two or more computers, you could either get a separate router or purchase a combo DSL modem/router.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    meecesmeeces Posts: 160member
    Okay, I kind of figured I'd need the modem. For me, it is just a one computer set up. Maybe down the road I'll add a second one if I add a desktop to go with my laptop. It is 14 a month, and with taxes/surcharges is closer to 20 a month, still not bad. Going to SBC.com gives details. My next questoin is if I need a DSL modem, which AirTunes doesn't have, I would rather purchase an extreme base station and would that take care of some of this technical stuff you're talking about? The Apple web site shows two configurations of extreme base stations, is one better? There is modem and antenna one and Power over Ethernet support one.
  • Reply 5 of 6
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Meeces

Okay, I kind of figured I'd need the modem. For me, it is just a one computer set up. Maybe down the road I'll add a second one if I add a desktop to go with my laptop. It is 14 a month, and with taxes/surcharges is closer to 20 a month, still not bad. Going to SBC.com gives details. My next questoin is if I need a DSL modem, which AirTunes doesn't have, I would rather purchase an extreme base station and would that take care of some of this technical stuff you're talking about? The Apple web site shows two configurations of extreme base stations, is one better? There is modem and antenna one and Power over Ethernet support one.

the airport extreme base station has only a regular modem not a DSL modem.

airport extreme base station with modem and antenna is good.

do you want to be able to walk around your house and surf the 'net wirelessly?

then you should buy the DSL modem from SBC and the airport extreme base station with antenna

otherwise, you should just get the DSL modem from SBC and plug that into your laptop, but that means you can only use your laptop + internet only where the DSL modem is.

• Reply 6 of 6
    meecesmeeces Posts: 160member
    Okay, so I feel like I need wireless for dummies book. Anyway, I will go with the DSL modem then from SBC and use my AirTunes/Airport express to extend the range of my wireless network. I'm trying to read up on Apple website too about how this works, and from what I can tell I won't need to get the extreme base statoin and the airport express one I already have will work. Thanks again to all for responding.