Mixing Airport and Airport Extreme

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I have an Airport Extreme (Netgear equivalent).

I know that if I connect to it with a regular airport computer it will reduce the speed of the whole network. This does not matter as it will still be way faster than my 1Mb ADSL.

But will it affect the range of the connection?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    e1618978e1618978 Posts: 6,075member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Mr Skills

I have an Airport Extreme (Netgear equivalent).

I know that if I connect to it with a regular airport computer it will reduce the speed of the whole network. This does not matter as it will still be way faster than my 1Mb ADSL.

But will it affect the range of the connection?

If you change up your netgear wireless router for a Belkin pre-n, it won't even effect the speed. The range of the Belkin is also better than anything else I have used.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    mr skillsmr skills Posts: 144member
    Quote:

Originally posted by e1618978

If you change up your netgear wireless router for a Belkin pre-n, it won't even effect the speed. The range of the Belkin is also better than anything else I have used.

Thanks for the advice, but I actually just bought the Netgear, so I'm not too keen to change it! 8)

I'm not that worried about the speed dropping to normal airport speed because it is much faster than my internet connection anyway. Also, I want to use an internal airport card and not faff about with USB things.

The current range of my Netgear in 'G' mode is perfectly good, I'm just wondering if it will be the same for 'G+B' mode.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    vandewaalsvandewaals Posts: 450member
    Quote:

Thanks for the advice, but I actually just bought the Netgear, so I'm not too keen to change it! 8)

I'm not that worried about the speed dropping to normal airport speed because it is much faster than my internet connection anyway. Also, I want to use an internal airport card and not faff about with USB things.

The current range of my Netgear in 'G' mode is perfectly good, I'm just wondering if it will be the same for 'G+B' mode.

When used in a mixed b/g environment, the router will default to b speeds (11 Mbps). The ranges are approximately the same for both versions as far as I know.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    mr skillsmr skills Posts: 144member
    Is the range one of the things that is part of the B/G standards?

I thought that the range was part of the standard - hence my wondering if putting it in 'B' mode would reduce the range. If it is not part of the standard, I guess the range will be the same.

Would I notice any difference to my 1Mb connectiong by changing it to B?
  • Reply 5 of 5
    vandewaalsvandewaals Posts: 450member
    Quote:

Is the range one of the things that is part of the B/G standards?

I thought that the range was part of the standard - hence my wondering if putting it in 'B' mode would reduce the range. If it is not part of the standard, I guess the range will be the same.

Would I notice any difference to my 1Mb connectiong by changing it to B?

http://www.pcworld.com/howto/article...,109041,00.asp

According to this article, g has 10% less range compared to b