Multiple QT Pro Purchases?

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
It seems to me that everytime QT goes through a major revision, the "pro" serial number becomes invalid and you have to purchase a new one. Is this correct? This happened to me once about two years ago, after buying QT pro. Now, with version 7, it seems to be the case again. Nothing like plopping down $30 every two years for the same damn functionality. What do you think? Am I missing something?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    Quote:

Originally posted by SDW2001

It seems to me that everytime QT goes through a major revision, the "pro" serial number becomes invalid and you have to purchase a new one. Is this correct? This happened to me once about two years ago, after buying QT pro. Now, with version 7, it seems to be the case again. Nothing like plopping down $30 every two years for the same damn functionality. What do you think? Am I missing something?

Yes, you are missing a lot. First off, nobody forced you to plop down $30. If $15/year is that much of a strain on your budget, I certainly recommend that you don't do it. Many see QT Pro only as a way to play QuickTime-compatible video full screen. QuickTime Pro is really for people who need to edit video. The simpliest edit is to convert video from one format to another. With QT7, H.264 is now the default video codec.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    ipodandimacipodandimac Posts: 3,273member
    Quote:

or you could be in my shoes. i bought the QT7 pro key, thinking i wouldn't get any of the pro app updates, but i have a job coming up that i need FCP5 for, so my $30 was useless. granted, this is a job, so it's all paying for it, but that is $30 i could have pocketed rather than "lost."
  • Reply 3 of 6
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,016member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Mr. Me

Yes, you are missing a lot. First off, nobody forced you to plop down $30. If $15/year is that much of a strain on your budget, I certainly recommend that you don't do it. Many see QT Pro only as a way to play QuickTime-compatible video full screen. QuickTime Pro is really for people who need to edit video. The simpliest edit is to convert video from one format to another. With QT7, H.264 is now the default video codec.

I've read a few of your posts and found them to be needlessly rude and condescending to others. Your advice was also most unhelpful. I know what QT Pro is for, and I'll thank you to realize that you know nothing about what my "budget" is. Next time, don't bother posting, please.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    Quote:

Why is costs? Well, firstly, the development that goes into one of the most popular and best media players on the planet, is needless to say, intense. Now putting the arguments for full screen viewing being free aside, why you have to stump up again for the PRO functionality, is you are actually purchasing a license to use the encoding featured supplied as part of the QuickTime architecture. Please note, that these are not just Apple-based codecs, and most are actually developed by third-party companies. The money you are paying to Apple, is also being plowed into the companies that make the rich standards-based codecs that form QuickTime, who all recieve a cut.

I think the relatively small price you have to pay is quite fair, especially after all the hard work that goes into this project; playback - free, encoding rights - payment.

I always have this attitude, do I get $15 worth of use per year out of QuickTime - yes I do - therefore it is worth purchasing.
  • Reply 5 of 6
    fahlmanfahlman Posts: 740member
    Most applications, when going through a major revision, cost money to upgrade. If the features don't justify the price of the upgrade, don't upgrade. You are the only one who can determine the value. You are not forced to upgrade.
  • Reply 6 of 6
    Quote:

Nothing like plopping down $30 every two years for the same damn functionality.

Quote:

Your advice was also most unhelpful. I know what QT Pro is for

Maybe reading up on the new QT7 will show you that it isn't "the same damn functionality". Version 7 allows direct video and audio recording also allowing you pass through audio from the line in. As mentioned the H.264 encoding is fantastic, and if you are converting lots of movies to H.264, is much better than opening and exporting them in iMovie or example.

I've also played around with QT7 to take some DVD rips I have in H.264 and convert them to small .3gp files and put them on my phone to watch. For the most part Futurama is okay on a small screen.

The fact that if I record a live track from the radio, I can quickly edit that track to not include anything that isn't the track ect is a godsend. So if you use the pro functions a lot get the QT7 license, if not use iTunes for fullscreen playback.