London News: Post Experiences, Discussion Here

Comments

• Reply 101 of 170
    haraldharald Posts: 2,152member
    You know what is still wonderful the next day?

I've spoken to not one -- not ONE -- person that is blindly angry about this. Not one person that feels fury or hatred. We're still sad ...

But we've won. We've beaten the terrorists already.

Any other reaction is weakness. Cowardice. You won't make me scared, you won't make me hate my fellow Londoners, you won't make me too angry, you won't make me thrash out.

EVERYONE at work feels like this. The estate agent I met this morning feels the same. The guys on the underground feel like this. The cops feel like this. Do you understand? The cops feel like this.

Yes I want to see justice. I want to see the people that did this in prison.

I don't people that *just don't get it* telling me how to feel or who or how to blame ...

But London just showed me how strength and humanity is built in to its DNA.

God / Allah / The Way / Whatever, thanks so much.
  • Reply 102 of 170
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Harald

I've spoken to not one -- not ONE -- person that is blindly angry about this. Not one person that feels fury or hatred. We're still sad ...

Any other reaction is weakness. Cowardice. You won't make me scared, you won't make me hate my fellow Londoners, you won't make me too angry, you won't make me thrash out.

EVERYONE at work feels like this. The estate agent I met this morning feels the same. The guys on the underground feel like this. The cops feel like this. Do you understand? The cops feel like this.

Yes I want to see justice. I want to see the people that did this in prison.

I don't people that *just don't get it* telling me how to feel or who or how to blame ...

But London just showed me how strength and humanity is built in to its DNA.

God / Allah / The Way / Whatever, thanks so much.

awesome. humanity will survive the 21st century and we are getting ready for the next stage of our evolution.
  • Reply 103 of 170
    crazychestercrazychester Posts: 1,339member
    Quote:

Indeed. (See if you can manage to restrain yourself this time, groverat, there's a good chap.)

The response by the British public has been noted here by the press and is receiving a great deal of praise and admiration. Also the emergency services for their rapid, no nonsense response. It's impressive and strangely comforting to hear someone directly caught up in these tragic events and clearly distressed and in shock, reply to the journalist who asked how he felt about the people who did this, with an immeasurable amount of dignity and one simple word.

Pity.
  • Reply 104 of 170
    thttht Posts: 5,437member
    My sympathies to AI members who are effected by the bombings.

The past recedes. The future renews. The present becomes the future everyday.
  • Reply 105 of 170
    midwintermidwinter Posts: 10,060member
    Quote:

Me neither. I want a t-shirt that says "I rode the tube. 8/7/05"
  • Reply 106 of 170
    itsamacitsamac Posts: 20member
    I was thankful that I was at home and that my wife is lazy and leaves alot later for work. Without any knowledge of what was going on, my wife spent two hours trying to get to Farringdon in the north though only got as far as London Bridge. Thankfully she gave up and ended up at home.

My heart and prays go out to all those that have been affected by this dark in British history.

On a happier note, lets all celebrate at Bluewater tomorrow. Free t-shirt to the first 1000 people through the door.

• Reply 107 of 170
    haraldharald Posts: 2,152member
    Quote:

Originally posted by midwinter

Me neither. I want a t-shirt that says "I rode the tube. 8/7/05"

• Reply 108 of 170
    groveratgroverat Posts: 10,872member
    What's significant about August 7th?
  • Reply 109 of 170
    itsamacitsamac Posts: 20member
    English date format dd/mm/yyyy vs american format mm/dd/yyyyy...nothing significant on 7 August
  • Reply 110 of 170
    frank777frank777 Posts: 5,839member
    Quote:

Originally posted by groverat

What's significant about August 7th?

Now, now, none of that. Only positive, Brit-affirming messages are allowed in this thread.
  • Reply 111 of 170
    hardeeharharhardeeharhar Posts: 4,841member
    My condolences to all those affected by this piece of human frailty.
  • Reply 112 of 170
    midwintermidwinter Posts: 10,060member
    Just an anecdote: they're closing the British LIbrary early these days, and yesterday at 3:30 I popped over to the pub across the street (The Flyer) for a pint. A gaggle of photographers and reporters had assembled in one corner and had all their powerbooks open, looking at their photos.

As I walked past them to get to the loo, I glanced at what was on their screens.

Be glad that you're not seeing some really awful photographs on the news.
  • Reply 113 of 170
    http://www.werenotafraid.com/

[edit: it appears this site has gone down, too popular; just about all the U.K. papers published the address]

Lots of Italians posting.

My favourite http://www.werenotafraid.com/index.php?s=subkultur click on "Comment" or search "subkultur"

- T. I.
  • Reply 114 of 170
    Phil Beer RIP

I knew that living and working in london that I would know someone effected by last thursday's bombings. I was sad Friday night to find out that my next door neighbor Phil was one of the many missing people and even sadder yesterday to hear that his dead body had been brought up from the carnage at Kings X. Phil was a huge and much loved character and will be sadly missed. His boyfriend, Pat survived with serious injuries, but will now along with Phil's friends and family suffer in silence at their loss.

My heart goes out to them and to all the people effected. I along with all Londoner's will defiantly continue to act normally, strugle into work no matter what dissruption.

You brainless morons with bombs are cowards and will never win for your cause. We have pretty much wiped out the IRA with our resolve and now the world will see the same thing happen to you over time.
  • Reply 115 of 170
    groveratgroverat Posts: 10,872member
    Quote:

Originally posted by itsamac

English date format dd/mm/yyyy vs american format mm/dd/yyyyy...nothing significant on 7 August

Yeah... hence the
  • Reply 116 of 170
    Quote:

Originally posted by Crustibooga

Phil Beer RIP

Sorry.
  • Reply 117 of 170
    I'm so sorry to hear of the loss of your friend and neighbour Crusti, my thoughts are with you and all those who grieve. All the best to you and yours, Alex.
  • Reply 118 of 170
    jonnybjonnyb Posts: 64member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Crustibooga

Phil Beer RIP

I knew that living and working in london that I would know someone effected by last thursday's bombings. I was sad Friday night to find out that my next door neighbor Phil was one of the many missing people and even sadder yesterday to hear that his dead body had been brought up from the carnage at Kings X. Phil was a huge and much loved character and will be sadly missed. His boyfriend, Pat survived with serious injuries, but will now along with Phil's friends and family suffer in silence at their loss.

My heart goes out to them and to all the people effected. I along with all Londoner's will defiantly continue to act normally, strugle into work no matter what dissruption.

You brainless morons with bombs are cowards and will never win for your cause. We have pretty much wiped out the IRA with our resolve and now the world will see the same thing happen to you over time.

I had read Pat's description of his last moments with his partner in the Guardian newspaper as they lost each other after the bomb went off. I had not realised Phil had died. Terrible.
  • Reply 119 of 170
    I have spoken to Kim, Phil's mum and although bleary eyed and obviously in pain with grief, she seemed ok. Last night close friends to their family were around, I heard talking and quite a lot of laughter as well as tears. As neighbors and friends we are in shock, but we will have nothing but smiles remembering his larger than life character. I am going to buy some flowers to put at the Elstree & Borehamwood Thameslink train station, so that others that knew Phil can give tributes.

I think that throughout this, the overwhelming feeling is of defiance. Yes there have been lives seriously damaged by this attack, but they have only made us stronger and they have gained nothing but to alienate themselves against Londoners and as Londoners, that means every race, colour and creed including the majority of Muslims that are respectable. Go hide you cowards and let the memory of Phil Beer's and all our freedom haunt you till your own unmissed graves.

Thank's to all your support, I will pass on the thoughts to his family.
  • Reply 120 of 170
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    on a lighter note, is big brother UK running right now? they have no clue about what happened or will big brother leak some info in, let them talk to family, or something... :just curious

take care everyone. london has been through ww2 bombing, the IRA, good on ya for weathering this one. i'd probably be a quivering mess right now.