Recommended Speakers for Powerbook

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I'm looking to get some real speakers to stay at my desk when my Powerbook is in my dorm at college. I was first looking at getting some Bluetooth speakers but I haven't been able to find anything that seems quality and suitable. What are your recommendations for audio speakers? I don't blast my music and I'm just a casual listener, but I don't want a piece of junk, either. Thanks!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    hadrianhadrian Posts: 40member
    Quote:

Originally posted by greenhybrid

I'm looking to get some real speakers to stay at my desk when my Powerbook is in my dorm at college. I was first looking at getting some Bluetooth speakers but I haven't been able to find anything that seems quality and suitable. What are your recommendations for audio speakers? I don't blast my music and I'm just a casual listener, but I don't want a piece of junk, either. Thanks!

Well I dont think you can go past the JBL Creature II Speakers.

I bought a set for my desk when they first came out and within 20mins of unpacking and hearing the sound for the first time, was on the phone ordering a set for home as well.

Still not disappointed with the sound they produce.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    Good to hear it. I actually ordered them last night. The reviews are generally good except for a few people who claim I'm going to be disappointed with the sound. Ah, well. I'm optimistic.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    mariusmarius Posts: 23member
    Quote:

Originally posted by greenhybrid

...I actually ordered them last night...

...naughty you - could not wait anymore... I was going to suggest AudioPhile BX4a from M-AUDIO - thats REAL speakers
  • Reply 4 of 5
    mattyjmattyj Posts: 898member
    I was going to suggest the Soundsticks II... Great for a student digs... I should know because I am one.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member
    I recommend one of the handful of THX certified 2.1 speaker systems that are on the market While the THX cert is relatively meaningless, these few speakers are certainly better than most others.

Creative Labs MegaWorks 2.1

(used to be called Cambridge Soundworks 2.1)

Klipsch ProMedia 2.1

Altec Lansing (I forget the model numbers)

And I could swear there are two other brands that make speakers in the same range.

I've got the MegaWorks 2.1 and am quite satisfied. They'll likely last me another 15 years at least. Good speakers and amps from the 80s sound just as good as today's gear so one purchasing strategy is to buy something that you'll be satisfied with for a while...