Apple/Intel processor name paradigm

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Not an entirely original thread, but not exactly out of date, either. Based on this MacWorld article (below), what are the chances that Apple will influence Intel's naming strategy enough to come out the the G6, the first Intel Mac processor.

From Macworld.com:

On the micro level, the roadmap gets complicated in a hurry. Intel has more models of processors than Congress has pork-barrel spending projects. Even Intel employees must be confused by the in-house habit of naming core revisions after cities and towns and then marketing them with model numbers that indicate everything from architecture, speed, and cache size to the type of motherboard socket they fit in?not to mention whether the processor is dual-core, supports the EM-64T 64-bit instruction extensions, or features Hyper-Threading.

The naming strategy for Apple has been key to its overall sales strategy. Will it be in Apple's sphere of influence, or Intel's to name the future? Do we want the Powermac Yonah? The ibook G4701826473527? The Ikindadontlikethenamegamethingee027836? The "Bob."

I have a vision of the G6. It IS the G6 because Apple becomes Intel's showcase for new (and expensive) processors. Dare to dream.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 1
    macserverxmacserverx Posts: 217member
    The 'G' in G3/G4/G5 stands for generation, as in generation of processor family. My very first thought after finishing your post was "I6" for "Intel 6", but that doesn't work very well, so I went to "I1" since it will be the first Intel Mac. As a joke I thought maybe they'd go with "i1" to match "iTunes", "iMac", etc.

In any case, I don't think we'll see "G"s anymore. "I" and "P" (P3/4) are out as prefixes too. I do think we need something to identify chips easily. What letter or word they'll choose is anyone's guess.