Catastrophic Boot Error (involving mach_kernel)

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Okay, so i just upgraded to 10.4.2 and was about to restart to complete the installation. I decided to do a little cleaning up of my desktop and moved a few things to trash and few things to some other home folders. While doing so i noticed a file in "Macintosh HD" (right next to library and applications)that was called "mach_kernel". I have never seen this before and while i know what mach is i figured it must have been a copy and moved it to the trash. When i rebooted the grey screen comes up with the Apple logo comes up but the progress throbber never appears and thus the PowerBook just sits there.

I would like to know if my moving that file is the likely cause of the boot problem and if i can fix it without having to reinstall os x. I have the tiger install dvd.

I have done a little looking and i can't even find what directory the "mach_kernel" is supposed to reside in or how it could have been moved to the macintosh hd in the first place.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    karl kuehnkarl kuehn Posts: 756member
    Yes... the mach kernel is required to boot the computer... you will likely have to reinstall. It is normally hidden in the root of your boot drive (invisible). There are a few ways of making it visible, but deleting it is never a good idea.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    I reinstalled (upgraded) and everything seems to be working good. Thanks for the help. I just wish i could figure out how that file got into a common area.
  • Reply 3 of 3
    aquamacaquamac Posts: 585member
    Quote:

Originally posted by scripto

I reinstalled (upgraded) and everything seems to be working good. Thanks for the help. I just wish i could figure out how that file got into a common area.

My guess is the update made a change to it and changed a attribute temporally. The system then asks you to restart so the reboot can reset the correct system attributes. It is both a good idea to restart when the system asks you to and not to fool with root level files unless you are a true unix geek. Sorry for your trouble. Hope this information helps in the future. Happy Macing!

PS. Backups made before a system update are also a good idea. (I have trouble remembering to do this myself.)\