Scientology

Posted:
in AppleOutsider edited January 2014
Anyone into this? Im researching it now. Seems to be quite, er, interesting.

I'm not sure what to think of it. Xeno, the E-meter, Reactive mind, preclears, etc is crazy stuff. I'm a skeptic when learning about any religion or philosophy, so I am not the easiest person to pursuade.

I'm trying to read Dienetics now. Anyone read it?

Anyone here into Scientology? Please-serious replies only. No Tom Cruise jokes LOL.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 18
    tulkastulkas Posts: 3,757member
    I don't know much about it, but nothing I have read makes it anything but scary.

Putting aside any of the funny things like aliens and volcanos, some of their practices are just bizzare. Here is a group where members knowingly submit themselves to what can only be described as classic brain washing techniques. It seems to go beyond simple behavior modification. From submission methods, humiliation techniques, coercion, will-breaking exercises, corporal punishment and reward, sensory deprivation, social deprivation etc.

The existence of brainwashing as a successful method of influence is debatable. But, many states have found value in indoctrination and re-education. Pavlovian psychology would seem to support it.

Then there are their corporate practices. In Canada, a few years back, they were found to have either broken into or inflitrated members in to some RCMP offices. (can't recall which). They use freedom of religion to claim tax excempt status, but use copyright law to fight against the public or press studying their religious texts. Their books (like Dianetics) often used to make the best sellers lists, but Time did an expose a few years back that indicated they were buying their own books in mass volume to get the number up...and would then ship those same books again. (some retailers were getting shipments to books with stickers from other retailers on them; something that normally was done at the retail end not the publishers.)

Anyway, aside from Cruise and Travolta, I really have never heard anything positive about them. Maybe that's because they are secretive and kinda wacky and therefore make an easy target. Or maybe they seem scary because the are.
  • Reply 2 of 18
    Quote:

Originally posted by dstranathan

I'm not sure what to think of it. Xeno, the E-meter, Reactive mind, preclears, etc is crazy stuff. I'm a skeptic when learning about any religion or philosophy, so I am not the easiest person to pursuade.

Anyone here into Scientology? Please-serious replies only. No Tom Cruise jokes LOL.

You know, when your religion is founded by a SCIENCE FICTION writer, that might be a tipoff that it's a scam.

And, we already have a thread for this here .
  • Reply 3 of 18
    johnqjohnq Posts: 2,763member
    Quote:

Originally posted by dstranathan

Seriously, put your efforts into just about anything else. It's a cult, and a bad one.

And not only is it based on science fiction, it's shitty sci-fi, at that. Like, really corny, arbitrary nonsense. Seriously.

I recommend basic, non-sectarian Buddhism.

For book recommendations, just ask.
  • Reply 4 of 18
    I talked to some frat boys years ago that moved their frat into a building that was a Scientology "church." They talked about finding all kinds of strange things like elctro-shock devices. They said their interactions with the Scientologist were also very strange. Its one weird group of folks. On the positive side, all religions are cults and to my knowledge Scientology priests haven't messed with any young boys, just the minds of the rich and powerful.

I heard that Scientology was not only founded by a sci-fi writer, but that it was founded by him on a bet that he could start a new religion. Anyone know if that is true. Damm funny if it is and really sad as well.
  • Reply 5 of 18
    johnqjohnq Posts: 2,763member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Carson O'Genic

Its one weird group of folks. On the positive side, all religions are cults...

Not true except in the most cynical, colloquial sense.

Reasons why it's a "dangerous" cult as opposed to "just a religion":

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cult_checklist

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scientology_controversy
  • Reply 6 of 18
    Quote:

Originally posted by Carson O'Genic

Its one weird group of folks. On the positive side, all religions are cults and to my knowledge Scientology priests haven't messed with any young boys, just the minds of the rich and powerful.

I heard that Scientology was not only founded by a sci-fi writer, but that it was founded by him on a bet that he could start a new religion. Anyone know if that is true. Damm funny if it is and really sad as well.

While I'm not entirely sure about this, I did read that some of the kids are forced to work, and that some of them have actually been sexually abused (xenu.net maybe, I really can't remember where)

While I don't know about the bet, he was quoted as saying that the way to get rich wasn't writing for a penny a word. It was in starting a religion...
  • Reply 7 of 18
    Quote:

Originally posted by johnq

Not true except in the most cynical, colloquial sense.

Yeah, that about sums up my feeling regarding relgions. I'm sure JC would have been regarded a cult leader in his time.
  • Reply 8 of 18
    ke^inke^in Posts: 98member
    You haven't done anything till you've argued with Barbara "the cook" Schwarz in alt.religion.scientology.

Do a search for her name in google.

She thinks her dad is L Ron Himself.
  • Reply 9 of 18
    hegorhegor Posts: 160member
    Scientology?!

Well it depends, if you like living your life in servitude, and enjoy the thrill only a dog can get from chasing its tail, then I suggest you sign up. Oh don't forget giving up a significant chunk of your hard earned cash-money. Those endless e-readings require monetary sacrifice.

Its a pretty demented cult, and yeah every major religion has growing pains where it is considered a cult, but scientology has too much secrecy, too much darkness, and while they arn't molesting boys, too many shattered lives to take scientology seriously as a source of spiritual fulfilment.
  • Reply 10 of 18
    sammi josammi jo Posts: 4,634member
    Scam. Scientology is just one of many out there...

If a religion can't stand on its own merits without a strong-arm sales force to gain adherents..... forget it. Incidentally, is the main difference between a 'cult' and a 'religion' a size issue?

Avoid, take a very wide berth

• Reply 11 of 18
    chris cuillachris cuilla Posts: 4,825member
    Quote:

Originally posted by sammi jo

Scam. Scientology is just one of many out there...

If a religion can't stand on its own merits without a strong-arm sales force to gain adherents..... forget it. Incidentally, is the main difference between a 'cult' and a 'religion' a size issue?

Avoid, take a very wide berth

Well, depending on who you talk to...size does matter.

( oh, were we talking religion? oops...nevermind )

• Reply 12 of 18
    jimdreamworxjimdreamworx Posts: 1,095member
    Hubbard was in the Office of Naval Intelligence (or so the story goes) and some conspiracy types flag this as a mind control experiment of the US Govt.

Also, Hubbard Jr, his kid, wrote a book "exposing" it several years back. Had a few lawsuits going with the publisher, don't know whatever came of it.
  • Reply 13 of 18
    wrong robotwrong robot Posts: 3,907member
    A friend of mine tried to get into it, not because she really wanted to, but because she was really curious. She got a couple steps into the initial whatever you have to do before she doubled back and said 'ha, that was dumb'

I've only known a couple scientologists personally, they all fervently defend it and talk about how much it's helped their lives and made them better people.

From what I understand, low-level scientology incorporates a lot of therapeutic psychology into its shtick, which, if you have a shitty ass life that isn't together, will most likely help you out in some way, beyond that though, it seems the further down the rabbit hole you get the more twisted and weird it all becomes.

Funny story about it though, well sort of funny. Back when I was living in boston, 2 friends of a friend came in from chicago and visited our apartment. These were two stoner kids and they naturally wanted to smoke out, my roommate, also something of a stoner, treated them to our hookah(I don't smoke anything anymore) They had never smoked hookah before and treated like a bong or a pipe... bad idea, they got incredibly off the walls super high.

So, in their inebriated state, my roommate and their friend(my friend) decided to fuck with them. They made them watch this psychedelic video and said it was a scientology initiation rite and that they had to watch it 4 times before they could get to the next step.

The kids were totally freaking out, paranoid and stuff, but they were too high to do anything about it really. So they watched the video FOUR TIMES. During with my roommate went to his room and got out this traditional indian robe he had, put it on and started saying all this random whacky philosophy stuff(he's a big philosophy buff)

The whole time I was in my room, occasionally coming out to assure the kids that my roommates were serious, and that resistance was futile.

Finally, my roommate drove the kids to the place they were staying. It was like 3 AM by then and instead of driving there, he drove around aimlessly for about an hour continuing the scientology prank. Finally he parked and let them out at a scientology center a couple blocks from where they were staying!

Pretty cruel yes, but funny as hell too.
  • Reply 14 of 18
    I am amazed at how many Hollywood wackos are into this. It must be a mind control thing.
  • Reply 15 of 18
    Quote:

Originally posted by ThinkingDifferent

I am amazed at how many Hollywood wackos are into this. It must be a mind control thing.

That's because the scientologists pamper them like hell. They have celebrity clubs to entertain their mindless robots...I mean celebrities.

"Some bullshit with your drink, Mr. Cruise?"
  • Reply 16 of 18
    wrong robotwrong robot Posts: 3,907member
    I thought it was also because scientology has 'em by the balls. I.E. when you sign up you have to divulge like all your darkest secrets. They record and keep the information and then use it to blackmail people, celebs specifically because they actually have something to lose.

But who knows.
  • Reply 17 of 18
    Quote:

Originally posted by Wrong Robot

I thought it was also because scientology has 'em by the balls. I.E. when you sign up you have to divulge like all your darkest secrets. They record and keep the information and then use it to blackmail people, celebs specifically because they actually have something to lose.

But who knows.

Yes, I've heard this too...specifically about John Travolta.

Meh. As the description goes, it's a cult for the rich and guillible.
  • Reply 18 of 18
    Quote:

Originally posted by ThinkingDifferent

My guess is that being a Hollywood superstar is really quite a scarry life to live. Before stardom there is great fear and anxiety. After stradom you woory about if you can keep it up. Look a Travolta. His star rose with Welcome back Kotter (spelling??), then there was Saterday night fever and that musical thing. After that, there were years of realtive obscurity. I can easily see how all the weirdness of being a star can make you very subseptable to religions/cults, either that or drugs. For instance, Madonna and her Kabbalah worship.