Apple releases Mac OS X 10.4.2 Update

Comments

• Reply 21 of 103
    emcemc Posts: 27member
    Haven't had any problems here. Spyder could maybe resize that image or make it a link, not all of us have screens that wide.
  • Reply 22 of 103
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Just got the update and WOWSA! this is FAST the UI is great really speedy and Safari works on sites where I used to need Firefox (like e-learning/Blackboard) and browsing in Safari is every bit as fast at rendering now as the very fastest windows browsers.

Great work Apple, This is what I expected when I bought Tiger.
  • Reply 23 of 103
    gremlingremlin Posts: 64member
    Quote:

Originally posted by c2poon

Well I can't seem to download the 10.4.2 update, the network keeps timing out. I did however download the update for iSync. I rebooted my computer and now almost all my settings are gone. My iTunes library has been reset, all my custom playlists are gone. This bites man! My custom icons in my dock all disappeared too. Gee Whiz!

I installed the iSync update and it sorted a problem for me! id been tryin to setup my motorola RAZR v3 and it caused it to crash every time, so ive been going around with only 2 numbers in my phone for 2 months (God, im lazy!)

Now ive got the update everything is dandy and i know whos callin me!

God, ive said it before and ill say it again... i phuckin love apple!
  • Reply 24 of 103
    dstranathandstranathan Posts: 1,717member
    Quote:

Originally posted by spyder

Here's a screen of the widget manager:

The Widget Manager is LAME. Apple, just make it a System Pref Pane and quit breaking your own User Interface guidelines!
  • Reply 25 of 103
    mikefmikef Posts: 698member
    Definitely feels faster here on my iBook G4 1GHz.

Hopefully my Mail.app IMAP problems are fixed. Last time (prior to the update), I totally lost an outgoing email (not in Drafts, not in Sent, and not sent).
  • Reply 26 of 103
    kalikali Posts: 634member
    The widget manager looks like badly done, graphicaly. Could someone post another picture of that ugly thing ?
  • Reply 27 of 103
    xoolxool Posts: 2,460member
    Installing now...

And man does that screenshot need to be resized!
  • Reply 28 of 103
    Quote:

Originally posted by Xool

I'm looking forward to installing this when I get home. Hopefully it will fix my AirPort Extreme autoconnect issues.

Works! 'Bout time my AirPort Extreme Macs would auto-connect to my base station again. (Using WPA personal, for those who care about such things. My legacy airport Macs still connect fine though.) Anyhow, this stopped working as soon as I upgraded to Tiger. It was annoying and every time a machine woke up or was booted I'd have to manually connect. It was annoying, but I still preferred Tiger w/ the minor annoyance over Panther.

But now its fixed and I'm happy as a clam.
  • Reply 29 of 103
    trans9btrans9b Posts: 97member
    Quote:

Originally posted by macserverX

One question

Quartz 2D Extreme?

(On dial-up still, I'll get it at work tomorrow and put it on my shuffle. )

this was the first thing i checked. i fired up the quartz debug, and to my surprise, under the tools option it displays "Disable Quartz 2D Extreme". every other time i've fired it up it has been "Enable" not disable, so i'm assuming on my powerbook 1.5 ghz it is turned on. perhaps the OS detects certain hardware and enables it on certain macs. its definitely on for me though. disabling auto beam synchronization makes this thing smooth as silk when combined with Q2DX
  • Reply 30 of 103
    Quote:

Originally posted by Trans9B

this was the first thing i checked. i fired up the quartz debug, and to my surprise, under the tools option it displays "Disable Quartz 2D Extreme". every other time i've fired it up it has been "Enable" not disable, so i'm assuming on my powerbook 1.5 ghz it is turned on. perhaps the OS detects certain hardware and enables it on certain macs. its definitely on for me though. disabling auto beam synchronization makes this thing smooth as silk when combined with Q2DX

QE2D is not enabled with my G5's 9800 GPU. I'll install the developer tools on the new 15" PowerBook and I'll give you a second report.
  • Reply 31 of 103
    boogabooga Posts: 1,082member
    It fixed my iChat "insufficient bandwidth" problem. I successfully videoconferenced over the internet for the first time since installing 10.4.0 on the day it was released. Was nice to get that functionality back.

It definitely feels snappier. World of Warcraft renders noticeably smoother. Safari rendering feels subjectively faster.

Mail.app seems to be more accurate about whether something's been read.

Caused no noticeable new problems in the first hour or so of use.
  • Reply 32 of 103
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:

Originally posted by the cool gut

how do you enable in manually?

Go here:

http://www.macosxhints.com/article.p...05050121260474
  • Reply 33 of 103
    in the widget manager (which is an absolute joke "widget widget") none of my installed widgets show the minus icon. there's still no way for me to "easily" remove widgets. i only have my phonebook and weather widgets running. also, whether i sort by date, or sort by time, the order of the widgets stays the same. i'm not impressed.
  • Reply 34 of 103
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:

in the widget manager (which is an absolute joke "widget widget") none of my installed widgets show the minus icon. there's still no way for me to "easily" remove widgets. i only have my phonebook and weather widgets running. also, whether i sort by date, or sort by time, the order of the widgets stays the same. i'm not impressed.

10.4.3 boy, 10.4.3. Say it twice, take two aspirins, and go to bed.
  • Reply 35 of 103
    I've tried searching for invisible files/folders and Spotlight still seems unable to find them. This worked fine in Panther, but hasn't worked for me yet in Tiger.

This is an important capability because some commercial software installs files in the system libraries as invisible files, making it impossible to clean out the junk if you want to uninstall them (their uninstaller didn't get everything). Symantec/Norton did this. Fortunately, I was aware Symantec/Norton Utilities was incompatible with Tiger and deleted all its pieces before upgrading to Tiger. I was able in Panther to search for invisible files that contained the string Norton, and them Symantec, and trash them. No such luck in Tiger yet however.
  • Reply 36 of 103
    Quote:

Quote:

Originally posted by Xool

QE2D is not enabled with my G5's 9800 GPU. I'll install the developer tools on the new 15" PowerBook and I'll give you a second report.

PowerBook doesn't have QE2D enabled either... not a surprise.

Perhaps you have some app or config change in place?
  • Reply 37 of 103
    jabohnjabohn Posts: 582member
    The update installed flawlessly.

I, too, think Apple's Widget Management needs to be rethought. But the Widget Manager is a step in the right direction. Apple's widgets could also be a bit smarter - they should remember what your last settings were. For example, every time I pull out the Weather widget, it defaults to Vancouver and I have to change it. I think it should remember the last city I had specified. A good example is VelaClock: if I close the widget then reopen it, it still retains my settings.

Still problems with QuickTime though. Only a few hours after the update and once again I get a complete system freeze while viewing a QT movie in Safari. I've also noticed new glitches with QT movies played in Safari, such as the movie being duplicated in a window or screen redraw issues when you scroll down a page while a movie is playing in it.

ALSO: I'm still a little ticked that the G5 I just bought listed Q2D Extreme as Unsupported.

G5 1.8Ghz, 1.25GB RAM, Mac OS 10.4.2
  • Reply 38 of 103
    hyperb0lehyperb0le Posts: 142member
    Quote:

When you installed your third-party widgets, which folder did you put them in? I haven't tried this to check, but maybe Apple's widget only puts the minus button next to widgets in ~/Library/Widgets and exempts the ones in /System/Library/Widgets.
  • Reply 39 of 103
    jabohnjabohn Posts: 582member
    Quote:

Originally posted by hyperb0le

When you installed your third-party widgets, which folder did you put them in? I haven't tried this to check, but maybe Apple's widget only puts the minus button next to widgets in ~/Library/Widgets and exempts the ones in /System/Library/Widgets.

Checked this out... if the widget is installed in Library/Widgets then you don't get the minus sign in Widget Manager. I pulled mine out and let Widget Manager install them and now I have minus signs.
  • Reply 40 of 103
    that worked it out. genius, thanks.