Memory Prices On The Low!!!!!!!

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Hey, i was looking at memory upgrades for my powerbook g4 1.5ghz on Crucial.com Boy, are they down! My powerbook 17" memory used to be over $800 for two 1GB dimms. It's down to less than $400 for 2. Check it out, i already gobbled up the 2GB for my powerbook. Enjoy

Comments

• Reply 1 of 14
    Quote:

Originally posted by Figital

Hey, i was looking at memory upgrades for my powerbook g4 1.5ghz on Crucial.com Boy, are they down! My powerbook 17" memory used to be over $800 for two 1GB dimms. It's down to less than $400 for 2. Check it out, i already gobbled up the 2GB for my powerbook. Enjoy

I'm getting 2GB for my PowerBook for only $220...
  • Reply 2 of 14
    xoolxool Posts: 2,460member
    I was shocked at the $200 1 GB price, versus the $60 price for a 512 MB module.

I guess we're gonna bump our new 15" PowerBook to 768 and hope that by the time I really want more memory prices will have dropped.
  • Reply 3 of 14
    baranovichbaranovich Posts: 184member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Xool

I was shocked at the $200 1 GB price, versus the $60 price for a 512 MB module.

I guess we're gonna bump our new 15" PowerBook to 768 and hope that by the time I really want more memory prices will have dropped.

Where are you getting $200 for a 1GB module? I'm getting 1GB for $110! All you need is 200 pin soDIMM.
  • Reply 4 of 14
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    It must suck using a notebook, your RAM is so goddamned slow and expensive.
  • Reply 5 of 14
    jwink3101jwink3101 Posts: 739member
    a while back 1 gig was about 450 USD. Not bad now relatively
  • Reply 6 of 14
    Quote:

Originally posted by baranovich

Where are you getting $200 for a 1GB module? I'm getting 1GB for $110! All you need is 200 pin soDIMM.

Crucial. I haven't looked at ramseeker or other memory sites to find the best deals though.
  • Reply 7 of 14
    baranovichbaranovich Posts: 184member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Xool

Crucial. I haven't looked at ramseeker or other memory sites to find the best deals though.

I wouldn't bother with Crucial, they claim their memory will work in your system, but as long as you get the right kind of memory it should work in your system just fine.

Check out

http://www.pricegrabber.com

to find the best prices on memory (and just about anything else).
  • Reply 8 of 14
    Looking at 1 GB PowerBook memory it looks like you can get a DIMM for as low as $140. Compared to Crucial's $200 price I'd consider getting it from a lesser vendor. If the price difference was only $20 though, I'd probably stick with Crucial.
  • Reply 9 of 14
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,016member
    I like OWC memory. It's inexpensive and I've never had a problem with. Just popped another 512 into my 'book for a total of 1GB.

Total cost was about $60.
  • Reply 10 of 14
    bka77bka77 Posts: 331member
    Hi,

I just bought one additional gig for my PB from crucial and noticed, that it is cheaper to directly chose the RAM type needed and not to use the advisor tool.
  • Reply 11 of 14
    octaneoctane Posts: 157member
    Quote:

Originally posted by bka77

Hi,

I just bought one additional gig for my PB from crucial and noticed, that it is cheaper to directly chose the RAM type needed and not to use the advisor tool.

What is the spec to look for? I've heard not all memory will work together in a powerbook (like some that came from apple with some that didn't). Don't remember if it was related to timing or latency or something else. Any truth to that?
  • Reply 12 of 14
    figitalfigital Posts: 21member
    Nahhh no truth to that, if you want to see what kind of memory your powerbook or powermac takes. Use the memory advisor in crucial, then right down what kind of memory it says is for your computer but then go to the left hand side link bar in crucial and select your type of memory from there instead of buying the memory directly from the memory advisor becasue like i stated buying it directly from the memory advisor is more expensive than selecting it yourself. In my 17" powerbooks issue a $52 difference per 1GB stick of memory.
  • Reply 13 of 14
    I go to install some PB ram and realize that I've misplaced my screw drivers. Doh! Guess the install will have to wait until I return from vacation.
  • Reply 14 of 14
    figitalfigital Posts: 21member
    NoOo! DON'T DO IT! GET IT DONE BEFORE VACATION, That is if your bringing your PB with you.