Apple releases Mac OS X 10.4.2 Update

Comments

• Reply 41 of 103
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    no worries here. i like the new widget widget. heh.

time to change the signature to say 10.4.2 :thumbs:

*blindly ignores any mac os x.4.2 bugs*

what bugs?

heh. maybe i'll go back to using windows when longhorn comes out. then again, maybe i'll have to use XP within the next year. we'll see...
  • Reply 42 of 103
    beigeuserbeigeuser Posts: 371member
    10.4.1 fixed my e-mail problems.

10.4.2 supposedly fixes the low bandwidth problems and airport reception

But iChatAV still doesn't recognize my video camera. It's a Panasonic PV-GS120 and it hasn't worked since 10.4. I think I'm going to set up a new drive with Panther on it.

Tiger has been too buggy for me.
  • Reply 43 of 103
    jimdreamworxjimdreamworx Posts: 1,095member
    A lot more https sites (banking) work now. Was using a Panther box until this was sorted out. Now that it is, this is the Tiger to start updating all my other Macs with.
  • Reply 44 of 103
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    My Scoreboard (ver 1.2) Widget no longer displays properly. The scores still appear and scroll correctly, but the widget is displayed at a minimum height which no longer contains the bottom of the scrolling scores within the widget. They now appear over the backgroung instead. I'll see if he's updated it yet. If if not, I guess I'll mention it, just in case.
  • Reply 45 of 103
    Quote:

Originally posted by melgross

My Scoreboard (ver 1.2) Widget no longer displays properly. The scores still appear and scroll correctly, but the widget is displayed at a minimum height which no longer contains the bottom of the scrolling scores within the widget. They now appear over the backgroung instead. I'll see if he's updated it yet. If if not, I guess I'll mention it, just in case.

I confirm this, as well as state that other widgets lose their settings.

What could they have changed that would have caused some widgets not to render correctly? I thought that was just JavaScript and Safari?

I wonder if the Safari updates they made to work better with other websites meant that CSS doesn't work correctly on some sites? Like a height= tag? If so, then all our websites might show up oddly in Safari.

They need to give us more detail on what was changed!
  • Reply 46 of 103
    kwsanderskwsanders Posts: 327member
    Quote:

My Scoreboard (ver 1.2) Widget no longer displays properly.

I saw this last night as well when I had it set to view the All-Star game. I generally have just the Braves game set to show, but I set it to scroll all games last night even though it was just one game. When I did that, I saw it exhibit the behavior that you mention here.
  • Reply 47 of 103
    An updated version of WebKit was included with the update. Does it include the patches to pass the acid2 test? (I'm using the nightly build from the opensource WebKit page so I can't tell.) If it does, maybe the widget authors used non-valid code to get it to render properly, and now that Safari is rendering it correctly it renders "wrong".
  • Reply 48 of 103
    the cool gutthe cool gut Posts: 1,714member
    Quote:

My Scoreboard (ver 1.2) Widget no longer displays properly.

yeah, my system stat widget is gone fucked up as well, freezez.
  • Reply 49 of 103
    The question here is whether Apple fixed something which now breaks display, or whether they broke something that affects display.
  • Reply 50 of 103
    kim kap solkim kap sol Posts: 2,987member
    Quote:

Originally posted by SS3 GokouX

An updated version of WebKit was included with the update. Does it include the patches to pass the acid2 test? (I'm using the nightly build from the opensource WebKit page so I can't tell.) If it does, maybe the widget authors used non-valid code to get it to render properly, and now that Safari is rendering it correctly it renders "wrong".

It doesn't contain the patch to pass the acid2 test.
  • Reply 51 of 103
    g3prog3pro Posts: 669member
    Do users of the 15" powerbook get a new System Preference tab for processor? I do, and it's really freaking me out, especially the processor palette. It's bizarre.
  • Reply 52 of 103
    robin hoodrobin hood Posts: 513member
    Quote:

Originally posted by g3pro

Do users of the 15" powerbook get a new System Preference tab for processor? I do, and it's really freaking me out, especially the processor palette. It's bizarre.

I have a 15" PowerBook and I am not saying any of that. Screenshot, perhaps?
  • Reply 53 of 103
    dave marshdave marsh Posts: 349member
    If you're getting the Processor Preference Pane, you've probably installed the CHUD tools.
  • Reply 54 of 103
    g3prog3pro Posts: 669member
    Oh yeah, I DID install the CHUD tools when I downloaded xcode 2.1. Thanks for the help.

Now that I have it installed, what does "Allow nap" mean?
  • Reply 55 of 103
    richardhrichardh Posts: 63member
    Quote:

Originally posted by g3pro

Like somebody else said, that's not 10.4.2, that's the CHUD tools. It's always been there (at least since the time you installed CHUD).

The Neat m0d they added was a clear white center and green edges, ever since the iNtel announcement. Prior to that it was a Motorola icon. Ohhhh, improvement!!@#!11!!!!

Safari is... ho hum. It has crashed twice, both times attempting to display JavaScript.

If you want to pass the Acid 2 test RIGHT NOW, download WebKit, that'll do it. If you don't feel like compiling it, grab this; it yanks a pre-compiled nightly tarball of the latest build and tosses it into /Applications.

http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/27294

Other than passing Acid 2, I can't say I have noticed any dramatic improvement on any other page. Some people say it's faster!!#11!!!! But I don't notice any difference, I'm on a PB 1.67GHz, 2GB RAM, and it's pretty much all looked the same (Safari rendering/scroll speed) for ...a long time, perhaps since forever.

What DOES speed things up is enabling Q2DE

The new iPhoto update has caused no new damage... But I haven't played with it much yet.

What is broken is Transparent Dock. It won't work anymore with 10.4.2 and the Unsanity Haxies... I dunno, in theory they rock, but in actuality the times when my system starts to give me a headache and crash at weird times, is always when I have all the doodads that wedge themselves into the APE framework running.

I get rid of all of it, and magically, all the instability problems go away.

Who knows. I just know I don't have time to screw around with all this and figure out which THING is causing the problem, so I don't use 'em anymore.

After a day, I have noticed no new problems with 10.4.2, although, no major improvements either, except when I enable Q2DE, it no longer shreds certain PDF's like it used to. it is becoming more stable.

Spotlight went back to indexing all the FW disks I had on the ignore list, so I had to re-add those.

I've never had any problems with Mail.app at all. I have over 4GB of mail, which is transferred from 3.9 flawlessly, and has continued to work fine. The only change I had to make was in 10.1 when GPG tools stopped working.

To speed up Mail and make it re-cache, re-index, and free up over 3GB of space (in my case, I have a lot of email), do this in a terminal:

find . -path "*.imapmbox/Cached*" -exec rm -f '{}' ';'

find . -path "*.mbox/mbox" -exec rm -fr '{}' ';'

find . -path "*.*mbox/content_index" -exec rm -fr '{}' ';'

find . -path "*.mbox/table_of_contents" -exec rm -fr '{}' ';'

find . -path "*.mbox/Info.plist" -exec rm -rfv '{}' ';'

find . -path "*.mbox/mbox.SKindex" -exec rm -rfv '{}' ';'

You should backup your email before you try that tho.

To enable Quartz 2D Extreme permanently:

in: ~/Library/Preferences

Edit the plist:

com.apple.windowserver.plist

^Find the Quartz2DExtremeEnabled and change it to YES

The above two tips came from.......hmm, I think Mac OS/X Hints, I dunno anymore where they found their way into my sysadmin NoteTaker book, but they both work.

God bless us, everyone.

Apple is the love which is the light which is truth.
  • Reply 56 of 103
    Quote:

I'll post this again.

Go here:

http://www.macosxhints.com/article.p...05050121260474

• Reply 57 of 103
    dave marshdave marsh Posts: 349member
    Well, I've read through the entire thread and haven't seen my issue, so I'll ask. Back in Panther, I was running Norton Utilities, and while waiting to upgrade to Tiger I read that it was incompatible with Tiger. So, I ran the Norton Uninstaller to remove it and rebooted. Upon reboot, I got the Norton Compatibility Check dialog, so I did a search for additional pieces of Norton/Symantec and found some. I also found some invisible Norton/Symantec files that I manually trashed.

That resolved, I moved on to Tiger. I'd read in one of the forums that someone had noticed that he couldn't do a Find on invisible files/folders, so I tried it and confirmed I couldn't either. I expected 10.4.2 to resolve this glitch. It doesn't appear it has.

Can any of you confirm this issue still exists, and it's not my Mac's installation? I tested searching for "Contents" folders, since every application has one, and Spotlight returned zero items.

Thanks...
  • Reply 58 of 103
    Quote:

Originally posted by Dave Marsh

Well, I've read through the entire thread and haven't seen my issue, so I'll ask. Back in Panther, I was running Norton Utilities, and while waiting to upgrade to Tiger I read that it was incompatible with Tiger. So, I ran the Norton Uninstaller to remove it and rebooted. Upon reboot, I got the Norton Compatibility Check dialog, so I did a search for additional pieces of Norton/Symantec and found some. I also found some invisible Norton/Symantec files that I manually trashed.

That resolved, I moved on to Tiger. I'd read in one of the forums that someone had noticed that he couldn't do a Find on invisible files/folders, so I tried it and confirmed I couldn't either. I expected 10.4.2 to resolve this glitch. It doesn't appear it has.

Can any of you confirm this issue still exists, and it's not my Mac's installation? I tested searching for "Contents" folders, since every application has one, and Spotlight returned zero items.

Thanks...

It says it will do it, but after an icon turned up during the search, it dissappeared when the search was over. I don't have time right now to investigate further.
  • Reply 59 of 103
    eluardeluard Posts: 319member
    On my system (G5 iMac, 20") Tiger has been a major step backwards. Mail.app worked in 4.0, stopped working in 4.1 and is only partially fixed in 4.2. The current issue is that the reply button doesn't work at all. (Under 4.1 NO buttons worked.) So mail is pretty much useless on this machine.

Also, under 4.0 I could set the weather widget to Sydney, New South Wales, But since 4.1 it is glued to Sydney, Florida. 4.2 hasn't fixed this problem. So widgets are pretty much useless on this machine.

My 4.2 update was also a mere 20+MB. Not the 40+MB fix that developers were getting.

Maybe they needed another week to work the bugs out?but this seems like a pretty bad system to throw into new machines?too many "gotchas" for the Grannies who just want to keep in touch with their grandkids.
  • Reply 60 of 103
    mikefmikef Posts: 698member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Eluard

[B]On my system (G5 iMac, 20") Tiger has been a major step backwards. Mail.app worked in 4.0, stopped working in 4.1 and is only partially fixed in 4.2. The current issue is that the reply button doesn't work at all. (Under 4.1 NO buttons worked.) So mail is pretty much useless on this machine.\\/B]

Did you do a clean installation or an upgrade install?

The problems that you report, I've never seen anybody else report. You can't believe that Apple would let a very major problem such as the reply button not working exist for three releases of Tiger.