Apple reports record quarter, smokes estimates

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Apple today announced financial results for its fiscal 2005 third quarter ended June 25, 2005, reporting the highest revenue and earnings in the Company?s history.

Apple posted a net quarterly profit of $320 million, or $.37 per diluted share, and revenue of $3.52 billion. These results compare to a net profit of $61 million, or $.08 per diluted share, and revenue of $2.01 billion in the year-ago quarter, and represent revenue growth of 75 percent and net profit growth of 425 percent. Gross margin was 29.7 percent, up from 27.8 percent in the year-ago quarter. International sales accounted for 39 percent of the quarter?s revenue.

Apple shipped 1,182,000 Macintosh units and 6,155,000 iPods during the quarter, representing 35 percent growth in Macs and 616 percent growth in iPods over the year-ago quarter.

?We are delighted to report Apple?s best quarter ever in both revenue and earnings,? said Steve Jobs, Apple?s CEO. ?The launch of Mac OS X Tiger has been a tremendous success, and we have more amazing new products in the pipeline.?

?We?re very pleased to report 75 percent revenue growth and a 425 percent increase in net income,? said Peter Oppenheimer, Apple?s CFO. ?Looking ahead to the fourth quarter of fiscal 2005, we expect revenue of about $3.5 billion and earnings per diluted share of about $.32.?

Apple will provide live streaming of its Q3 2005 financial results conference call set to begin at 2:00 p.m. PDT / 5:00 p.m. EDT today. AppleInsider will provide full coverage.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 15
    Doesn't really matter though does it.. idiot traders and analysts only look at guidance and even though consistently Apple offers conservative guidance they aren't smart enough to see that.. so forget Apple stock for now.. there just isn't enough smart people who invest to make it worthwile..

WAKE UP YOU GODDAMN IDIOTS
  • Reply 2 of 15
    Eep! They aren't an under-dog anymore! Now what counter-culture PC can I buy? :-(

I'm kidding! Good job Apple! I'm just happy everyone else is getting to see what makes Macs so good for computing.

You have more time for life if they work right...
  • Reply 3 of 15
    dcqdcq Posts: 349member
    Holy Shite.

That's all I have to say...
  • Reply 4 of 15
    I wonder if the Intel announcement even made a dent on sales? Great news.
  • Reply 5 of 15
    kim kap solkim kap sol Posts: 2,987member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Carson O'Genic

I wonder if the Intel anouncemnt even made a dent on sales? Great news.

We'll better know next quarter but I'm guessing it won't affect sales much...unless Apple doesn't actually bring the 'new products in the pipelines' out soon.
  • Reply 6 of 15
    sc_marktsc_markt Posts: 1,402member
    I'm glad to see that Apple is increasing its computer market share. And this is with PPC processors.

Is it possible that in five or so years, Apple's market share would have been 10 or so percent with PPC processors? I think it may have been possible. As such, it seems to me that somebody at IBM should have seen this growth potential and at least have made an effort to get the chips ready. After all, 10% market share in computers is probably the same amount of chips that the XBOX would sell in 1 year.

- Mark
  • Reply 7 of 15
    To answer my own question:

"Apple Executive Vice President Tim Cook said that the company saw "no obvious reduction" in sales following the Intel announcement. "However, we have limited data at this point and we expect to learn more in the quarter."

http://news.com.com/Apple+earnings+t...?tag=nefd.lede
  • Reply 8 of 15
    mike12309mike12309 Posts: 135member
    my friend who works at Best Buy, and kept telling me apple was gonna die and that the creative player was increasing market share faster and napster was gonna be the next big thing can now eat his foolishly ignorant statements.

I wonder what apple will invent now that they have some serious capital to put into their next new products. Dont worry HP im sure you can "invent" too, get those licensing agreements ready boys!
  • Reply 9 of 15
    aquamacaquamac Posts: 585member
    Apple now has the capital to do whatever R&D It needs to get the new hardware out and make Tiger/Leopard kick 'LongWait's buttox. Good times for Apple!
  • Reply 10 of 15
    sc_marktsc_markt Posts: 1,402member
    For what its worth, just about anytime I've been into a local Apple store (Mission Viejo, Newport Beach, or South Coasta Plaza), its always been crowded. In particular, I was in the South Coast Plaza mall and it was quite empty. However, when I walked into the Apple store, there must have been over 25 people in there.

Has Apple said that the stores are now profitible?
  • Reply 11 of 15
    mike12309mike12309 Posts: 135member
    Quote:

Originally posted by sc_markt

For what its worth, just about anytime I've been into a local Apple store (Mission Viejo, Newport Beach, or South Coasta Plaza), its always been crowded. In particular, I was in the South Coast Plaza mall and it was quite empty. However, when I walked into the Apple store, there must have been over 25 people in there.

Has Apple said that the stores are now profitible?

applestores are known to become profitable within weeks of opening nowadays.
  • Reply 12 of 15
    I've never seen an empty Apple store. teh quitest one i saw was in San Mateo during a weeday afternnon, but still they had a constant flow of a few customers coming in every 15 minutes or so. The two store in SF that I frequent are always full. It's like X-mas shopping all year round. If they aren't profiatable then someone has their hands in the kitty.
  • Reply 13 of 15
    ^By San Mateo, you mean Burlingame right? Or is there another Apple Store in San Mateo?
  • Reply 14 of 15
    flounderflounder Posts: 2,674member
    There's always someone who can spin the results down.

http://biz.yahoo.com/ft/050714/fto07...2935.html?.v=1

Apple's doing so great, but they can't possibly keep it up. Sell your stock!

They're selling iPods at lower prices, sell your stock!

I mean, clearly they couldn't sell iPods for $500 forever...
  • Reply 15 of 15
    All thay have to do is wait for inflation to kick in.

Can someone answer when the new macmini is coming out, will it be one of those soon to come products?