Re-enabling PDF viewing support in Safari RSS

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I used to have Adobe Reader 7 installed on my Mac (running Tiger 10.4.2) and I later decided to remove it, since Preview was sufficient enough for my PDF needs.

However, after I removed Adobe Reader 7, I lost in-browser PDF viewing support in Safari RSS. Whenever I click on a link to a .pdf file, I get a prompt/Finder-esque window that asks me locate Adobe Reader. I can't seem to figure out how to tell Safari to view PDF files in a browser window. The only way I can read these web PDF's is by downloading them to the hard disk first, then opening the file manually in Preview.

Is there a change I can do in Terminal that will tell Safari RSS to open all linked PDFs in a browser window by default?

On a side note, I used to have Shubert-IT's Safari PDF viewer plug-in when I was running Panther 10.3, but I have removed it after upgrading to Tiger 10.4. I don't think this is the source of the conflict though.

Thanks for all the help!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 1
    Problem solved!

I simply removed the Adobe Reader plug-in from the /Library/Internet Plug-Ins/ folder on my system. Restarted Safari, and voila... PDFs open in the browser just as I wanted.