Strange symbol appearing on 1st Gen. iPod Mini, what's it mean?

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Hey all,

my mother's iPod Mini is a first generation 4GB one. It's been working fine up until now. Now it is displaying a strange symbol ive never seen before.

it's showing a picture of what appears to be an Apple wall adapter (for charging the iPod from a power socket). What does this mean?

When we plug it into the computer it doesn't even appear on the desktop and the 'Do Not Disconect' message doesn't come up.

All it's doing is showing this sybol of the wall plug/. What's it all mean and why's it happened?

also, we just updated the Software on it to the latest version (with Podcasts)

thanks for your time

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    jambojambo Posts: 3,036member
    You need to plug it into a power source.

This is normal after updating the software.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    spiers69spiers69 Posts: 418member
    .....we dont have one.

Is this 'normal' practise only for 1st Gen. iPod Mini?

Is there any alternative?

Can you give me a good reason why it needs to be plugged up to such a power source? I know that the iPod can get more power out of these adapters but i dont see why it NEEDS it.... what's wrong with the USB 2.0 cable?

Sorry if i sound like im interrogating you, but i cant understand this.

Also, ive just updated it to the most recent software, which is 1.4,right?

Well im sure that when i first got it it was running 1.2, so i upgraded to 1.3 and NEVER needed to plug it into the wall.

Is it possible to take step the software back to 1.3? (at least until i locate a wall-plug adapter)
  • Reply 3 of 7
    danmacmandanmacman Posts: 773member
    I had the same issue with my 4G 20 gigger. It has something to do with a firmware upgrade. Not sure why the power adapter is required though.
  • Reply 4 of 7
    jambojambo Posts: 3,036member
    The iPod mini needs more power than USB can supply to perform a firmware upgrade. This does not apply to 2nd generation iPod mini.
  • Reply 5 of 7
    thanx Jambo. that's what i wanted to know.

i know someone i can borrow a wall plug adapter from
  • Reply 6 of 7
    xoolxool Posts: 2,460member
    You could probably finish the upgrade at an Apple store or some other retail location with iPod mini docks on display.
  • Reply 7 of 7
    lol. good idea Xool, but the only Apple centre that was kind of close to me closed years ago. My sister knows some1 with the wall plug. I'll have to borrow it.