ram crashes powerbook

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Hello, I have a 15" 1ghz albook. I had two sticks of 256mb ddr2700 samsung memory in there that came with the powerbook. Just recently, I bought a 1gb stick of kingmax from newegg. and there were many reviews from powerbook owners that said it worked here http://secure.newegg.com/NewVersion/...82E16820155111

when I put the 1gb in with one of the 256 in there, things start crashing like crazy, it sometimes won't wake from sleep, and it's just a mess. I tried it with just the 1gb in there for a short time and it seemed pretty much fine, but I didn't do any tasking activities to be sure (but it slept and woke without a problem). Any ideas as to what my problem is or if there's a specific issue with my powerbook and certain types of ram or how to get one of the 256 sticks to work with the 1gb? Thanks a lot.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    bergzbergz Posts: 1,045member
    Run rember which is a gui wrapper for memtest (no need to download memtest separately).

Should help you diagnose what's up.

My brother and I got the same 15" PB and the same 1GB Kingmax RAM and mine worked great. His crashed his system constantly and had to send it back. Never heard what happened with it after that, though.

Try kingmax's compatibility list here

You're not my bro, are you?

--B
  • Reply 2 of 3
    cj171cj171 Posts: 144member
    haha, 'fraid not...it's strange...that test came back with no problems when i ran it with the 1gb and one 256mb inside...and it hasn't crashed since and I tried a game or two...also, before it was kernel panicing on booting with just the 1gb so that alone wasnt a solution...no idea as to why it's acting fine now..probably won't after a reboot...so should i wait a few more days and see if things stabilize or just return it?

edit: sure enough, one reboot later and it started crashing like crazy again
  • Reply 3 of 3
    bergzbergz Posts: 1,045member
    Quote:

Originally posted by cj171

haha, 'fraid not...it's strange...that test came back with no problems when i ran it with the 1gb and one 256mb inside...and it hasn't crashed since and I tried a game or two...also, before it was kernel panicing on booting with just the 1gb so that alone wasnt a solution...no idea as to why it's acting fine now..probably won't after a reboot...so should i wait a few more days and see if things stabilize or just return it?

edit: sure enough, one reboot later and it started crashing like crazy again

2 things: 1) I'm really not sure, but I think that they'll only accept the return of the RAM (again, not sure about this) if you send it to them and it tests out defective by their tests. If they don't see anything wrong with it, then it might be that they won't let you exchange it. How many passes did rember do? I think they suggest 3 or 5 at the least.

2) Did you check out the Kingmax compatibility list? make sure the RAM's compatible with the 1 GHz PB and not posterior models.

Here's the developer's note for the 1 GHz PB from Sep 2003. Read up on the RAM, etc. But it definitely states that there's no memory interleaving so using different-sized DIMMs isn't the problem.

Oh, and run rember again now that it's crashing...

--B