Apple to make OLED keyboard?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
http://www.artlebedev.com/portfolio/optimus/

Each key is a mini OLED screen and thus the keyboard layout can be changed at will. One can have custom layouts for Photoshop, Shake, Final-Cut Pro, etc...

This could be revolutionary.

OLED technology in 1-3 years should be cheap enough to do this. Apparently the idea is being pitched at Apple.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 21
    rongoldrongold Posts: 302member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Existence

http://www.artlebedev.com/portfolio/optimus/

Each key is a mini OLED screen and thus the keyboard layout can be changed at will. One can have custom layouts for Photoshop, Shake, Final-Cut Pro, etc...

This could be revolutionary.

OLED technology in 1-3 years should be cheap enough to do this. Apparently the idea is being pitched at Apple.

I posted about this very thing at this thread:

http://forums.appleinsider.com/showt...ht=#post806291

Where does it say it is being pitched to Apple though?
  • Reply 2 of 21
    cubistcubist Posts: 954member
    There have been button switches with matrix displays for years. There's one thing about them that has always been rather daunting: They're extremely expensive. Extremely. They tend to be used in airplane cockpits and places like that. Using OLED might make it a little cheaper, but then you have the longevity problem. Me, I wouldn't like to spend $5000 on a keyboard that only lasts two years. YMMV.
  • Reply 3 of 21
    1337_5l4xx0r1337_5l4xx0r Posts: 1,558member
    It is a cool idea though. In a portable, I'd be concerned with battery life.
  • Reply 4 of 21
    macroninmacronin Posts: 1,174member
    DROOL!!!

That is so cool!

Did you go to the link and see the keys for PS & Quake?

Imagine this for FCP, for everything!

If the price can be low enough (US$200-250, max.) than this thing may work...
  • Reply 5 of 21
    groveratgroverat Posts: 10,872member
    That is shit-hot.
  • Reply 6 of 21
    spyderspyder Posts: 170member
    This keyboard gives me a boner.

And does anyone have any info on if this idea being pitched to Apple or not?
  • Reply 7 of 21
    cesarcesar Posts: 102member
    pretty cool keyboard!!! I want one.... really cool!! I wish apple or logitech get in IP or the patent of that keyboard....

deliver a SDK to software developers so any give app could be compatible with that keyboard... I use CAD/CAE tools a that keyboard could be very useful
  • Reply 8 of 21
    existenceexistence Posts: 991member
    Quote:

Originally posted by spyder

This keyboard gives me a boner.

And does anyone have any info on if this idea being pitched to Apple or not?

I thought it was very obvious from the pictures the idea is being pitched at Apple.
  • Reply 9 of 21
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    Quote:

I thought it was very obvious from the pictures the idea is being pitched at Apple.

But says who? Just because the icons are on there doesn't confirm that it's being pitched to Apple. There are thousands of mockups on the web that are even Macs, but how many are being pitched at Apple? Although. I would love for Apple to buy this and patent it. It's a stellar extension of the GUI. To have all your keyboard shortcuts mapped out on the keyboard for every app is a brilliant way to make the user interface as easy, and fluid as possible. I could get my grandma using a computer without fear with that.
  • Reply 10 of 21
    johnqjohnq Posts: 2,763member
    Argh, this title deserves a serious makeunder.
  • Reply 11 of 21
    Quote:

Originally posted by johnq

Argh, this title deserves a serious makeunder.

Why? The thing is almost confirmed given the amount of buzz and drooling it has generated all over the web.

Economics wont be a problem since OLEDS are really cheap. Lifespan should be about 2-3 years which is good enough.
  • Reply 12 of 21
    rokrok Posts: 3,519member
    you know what would be REALLY cool? newbie training. seriously. have keys reverse-light up for combos for particular functions, or if you want the user to accept an entry, the enter key can throb blue-black, and the esc key and do the same to cancel out.

really, if they can pull this off, the flexibility of the keyboard as an input device increases a hundred-fold. but yeah, they have to get over the hump of price and longevity.
  • Reply 13 of 21
    Quote:

Yeah, the little IE button would definitely tip you off to that. ...where's my safari button bitch?!
  • Reply 14 of 21
    Quote:

Originally posted by mynamehere

Yeah, the little IE button would definitely tip you off to that. ...where's my safari button bitch?!

Actually, the Mac keyboard layout (w/ Apple key) in a couple of the images that is the most salient example.
  • Reply 15 of 21
    Quote:

Why? The thing is almost confirmed given the amount of buzz and drooling it has generated all over the web.

Economics wont be a problem since OLEDS are really cheap. Lifespan should be about 2-3 years which is good enough.

Agreed. I posted it at a message board where I was CERTAIN that no one had seen it before, and everyone and their mother apparantley already had taken a look at it. So it's def. getting the buzz.
  • Reply 16 of 21
    cubistcubist Posts: 954member
    Quote:

... Economics wont be a problem since OLEDS are really cheap. Lifespan should be about 2-3 years which is good enough.

For a keyboard that only lasts 2 to 3 years, I would be willing to pay no more than $20. Get real. OLEDs aren't THAT cheap, and there's going to be a bunch of proprietary software for loading the images, a processor, memory... I'd be surprised if they can make this for $500, even if the displays were FREE.

(soapbox) A touch-typist never looks at his hands. What I'd REALLY like is a standard layout for all keyboards, Mac and Windows, so that I'd never hit the stupid Home key by accident! :-( (/soapbox)

• Reply 17 of 21
    Quote:

Originally posted by cubist

For a keyboard that only lasts 2 to 3 years, I would be willing to pay no more than $20. Get real. OLEDs aren't THAT cheap, and there's going to be a bunch of proprietary software for loading the images, a processor, memory... I'd be surprised if they can make this for $500, even if the displays were FREE.

(soapbox) A touch-typist never looks at his hands. What I'd REALLY like is a standard layout for all keyboards, Mac and Windows, so that I'd never hit the stupid Home key by accident! :-( (/soapbox)

I must disagree with you. $20 freaking bucks? I could find that much change on the ground in 1 hour. For this keyboard, I'd pay $150-200 for 2-3 years use. And yes, OLED's aren't that cheap, yet. In a few years they will be. This is kinda of like the question "Will we ever see a 2GB memory stick for 20 dollars?" Yes, eventually. I look at this kind of keyboard like that, as an eventuality.
  • Reply 18 of 21
    1337_5l4xx0r1337_5l4xx0r Posts: 1,558member
    Moreover, there's a whole 'economy of scale' argument.
  • Reply 19 of 21
    shadowshadow Posts: 373member
    http://www.hardmac.com/niouzcontenu....005-07-19#4293

"- it will cost between 200 and 300$."
  • Reply 20 of 21
    $299 then?