Apple releases Mac OS X 10.4.2 Update

Comments

• Reply 81 of 103
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    Maybe Apple should and is waiting for a better more opportune time to introduce Quartz 2D Extreme.

Once they've gone to Intel chips the entire hardware line will have access to better graphics cards than now.

If Quartz 2D Extreme is introduced with Leopard it would be one more feature that kicks dirt in the face of Longhorn.
  • Reply 82 of 103
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,015member
    Quote:

Originally posted by sunilraman

um... i think you are referring to mikeF that said something like that

but i would recommend a total wipe and install too. additionally, after a fresh install and once you've upgraded everything to 10.4.2, create another user, and then use THAT user account for all your stuff, not the first user you created to do the install and upgrade to 10.4.2

there's no way i would have recommended 10.4.0 or 10.4.1 to any web/multimedia/iLife user that is not naturally an early adopter. but i think 10.4.2 is very close to production level, albeit clean installs are a prerequisite for a smooth transition... \

Right...I see that now.
  • Reply 83 of 103
    I know it's not exciting as all this Quartz stuff, and I can't tell if anything's faster than before, but my Griffin Powermate won't work anymore in Safari. Too upset to try Word etc. \

Anyone else noticed the same, or am I missing the obvious (given previous posts it wouldn't be a surprise)?
  • Reply 84 of 103
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:

Originally posted by genesurgeon

I know it's not exciting as all this Quartz stuff, and I can't tell if anything's faster than before, but my Griffin Powermate won't work anymore in Safari. Too upset to try Word etc. \

Anyone else noticed the same, or am I missing the obvious (given previous posts it wouldn't be a surprise)?

What I've done on the three machines at home that I've now installed 10.4 on is to go to Macintouch and read the incompatibilities chart as well as the update for Tiger chart (they are both looong). If there are un solved problems, you will be better able to make a decision about making the upgrade. I still haven't upgraded two machines here because they have both software and hardware that are not yet compatible.

NEVER upgrade an OS without making sure that your stuff is going to work first!!!

Here are the links:

http://www.macintouch.com/tigercompat.html

http://www.macintouch.com/tigerrevie...atibility.html

Of course, this might not be everything.
  • Reply 85 of 103
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    Quote:

Originally posted by melgross

What I've done on the three machines at home that I've now installed 10.4 on is to go to Macintouch and read the incompatibilities chart as well as the update for Tiger chart (they are both looong). If there are un solved problems, you will be better able to make a decision about making the upgrade. I still haven't upgraded two machines here because they have both software and hardware that are not yet compatible.

NEVER upgrade an OS without making sure that your stuff is going to work first!!!

Here are the links:

http://www.macintouch.com/tigercompat.html

http://www.macintouch.com/tigerrevie...atibility.html

Of course, this might not be everything.

hmm... yesssss 10.4.2 is much closer to prime-time, but unless you are an early adopter, for mission critical stuff, and for a style of working you really like, you should not really jump to the latest update unless you are really into that sort of thing.

also you always have to give some lead time for hardware and software makers to update accordingly.

for example, digital music (protools, reason, m-audio, ableton) stuff, you would have to be careful about moving up ....
  • Reply 86 of 103
    Quote:

hmm... yesssss 10.4.2 is much closer to prime-time, but unless you are an early adopter, for mission critical stuff, and for a style of working you really like, you should not really jump to the latest update unless you are really into that sort of thing.

also you always have to give some lead time for hardware and software makers to update accordingly.

for example, digital music (protools, reason, m-audio, ableton) stuff, you would have to be careful about moving up ....

That's right. a lot of these "problems" aren't problems at all. Anytime an OS is upgraded or even updated, changes in the software, by their very nature, are going to render third party products unusable until they too are updated.
  • Reply 87 of 103
    Quote:

Originally posted by melgross

That's right. a lot of these "problems" aren't problems at all. Anytime an OS is upgraded or even updated, changes in the software, by their very nature, are going to render third party products unusable until they too are updated.

would you say that the developer seeding program is adequate and fair warning for these third party companies...?

edit: melgross yeah why are we always on at the same time given that you are halfway around the world??? TURN OFF THE COMPUTER AND GO TO SLEEP !!
  • Reply 88 of 103
    Quote:

would you say that the developer seeding program is adequate and fair warning for these third party companies...?

edit: melgross yeah why are we always on at the same time given that you are halfway around the world??? TURN OFF THE COMPUTER AND GO TO SLEEP !!

I absolutely think that Apple's developer seeding program sucks. They don't give them enough time for testing and resolution. Many problems can't be solved in a week or even two. Most problems would go away with a months notice. Finish up the work, send it out, and only when most major problems are dealt with can it be released. Did you look at those lists? Tragic! Customers must be calling and e-mailing these companies all day long. If they had enough time they would have solved their problems BEFORE the OS was released.

I almost never sleep

I have better things to do, such as talking to you!
  • Reply 89 of 103
    I like Widgets. They're pretty. That's about it. I've found maybe 5 that I would call useful (by useful I mean, they do something handy, that I cannot do twice as fast by just clicking a bookmark or using some other method).

I have 3 instances of the Weather Widget open.

Every time I reboot and open them, their positions drift mysteriously across the screen.

I use a PowerBook 15" with an exernal 23" Cinema Display. Whether I use the exernal display or not, the behaviour is the same. They move around, and inch up, half an inch down, sometimes they surprise me and re-open exactly where I left them! But usually not.

This has been the same since 10.4, 10.4.1, and now 10.4.2.

Does this happen for anyone else, or should I stop using the computer when I'm stoned? Actually, that's not a viable option, I'm a creative genius and most of my best work is done in altered states. By which I mean, I'm creative, I'm a genius because I'm able to convince companies to pay me a lot of money for my mad skills, and then I can buy more drugs and toys and cars and experience true happiness.

Just like I do when I use Apple products.

Because Apple products are perfect.

Except Apple's weather widget... various other bugs and minor problems, but then I'm right back to, they make me happy.
  • Reply 90 of 103
    Quote:

Originally posted by RichardH

I like Widgets. They're pretty. That's about it. I've found maybe 5 that I would call useful (by useful I mean, they do something handy, that I cannot do twice as fast by just clicking a bookmark or using some other method).

I have 3 instances of the Weather Widget open.

Every time I reboot and open them, their positions drift mysteriously across the screen.

I use a PowerBook 15" with an exernal 23" Cinema Display. Whether I use the exernal display or not, the behaviour is the same. They move around, and inch up, half an inch down, sometimes they surprise me and re-open exactly where I left them! But usually not.

This has been the same since 10.4, 10.4.1, and now 10.4.2.

Does this happen for anyone else, or should I stop using the computer when I'm stoned? Actually, that's not a viable option, I'm a creative genius and most of my best work is done in altered states. By which I mean, I'm creative, I'm a genius because I'm able to convince companies to pay me a lot of money for my mad skills, and then I can buy more drugs and toys and cars and experience true happiness.

Just like I do when I use Apple products.

Because Apple products are perfect.

Except Apple's weather widget... various other bugs and minor problems, but then I'm right back to, they make me happy.

I haven't had that problem. I have three machines with 10.4.2 here and none have shown it so far.

Don't kid yourself about being stoned. (assuming you're serious). In the early '70's my friends and I used to get high and do our darkroom work. What we came out with was incredible! What was incredible about it was that the next day we couldn't figure out what we had done. so we threw it all away.
  • Reply 91 of 103
    Thanks. I'm half-serious, it's hard to say which half is serious, if you ever figure it out please let me know.

But the Weather widget actually does this. I've trashed it, reinstalled it, and it keeps right on doing it. One instance is fine, but when I open two or more, the second and third decide to pop up in different spots than where I left them.

I can line up 4 world clocks with no problem.

No other widget does this, none of Apple's, none of the third-party ones I find useful.

Oh well. Not a big deal, perhaps it's bit decay and the zer0's and 1ne's are wearing out, turning into 7, 8's, 23's, and confusing the computer. It happens to me all the time.
  • Reply 92 of 103
    Quote:

Thanks. I'm half-serious, it's hard to say which half is serious, if you ever figure it out please let me know.

But the Weather widget actually does this. I've trashed it, reinstalled it, and it keeps right on doing it. One instance is fine, but when I open two or more, the second and third decide to pop up in different spots than where I left them.

I can line up 4 world clocks with no problem.

No other widget does this, none of Apple's, none of the third-party ones I find useful.

Oh well. Not a big deal, perhaps it's bit decay and the zer0's and 1ne's are wearing out, turning into 7, 8's, 23's, and confusing the computer. It happens to me all the time.

Nah, the numbers only decay on old iron analog computers.
  • Reply 93 of 103
    Quote:

Does this happen for anyone else, or should I stop using the computer when I'm stoned? Actually, that's not a viable option, I'm a creative genius and most of my best work is done in altered states. By which I mean, I'm creative, I'm a genius because I'm able to convince companies to pay me a lot of money for my mad skills, and then I can buy more drugs and toys and cars and experience true happiness

i was close to such drug-fueled high paying creative mad skillz scene. \

then the wheels fell off the wagon. my housemates turned on me, one guy stopped paying his rent, i had to sell my powermac g5, found advertising and marketing people to be dickheads that knew nothing of true interactive media art, and have now moved in with my parents.

drugs are bad... mmkay??

seriously, i've finally clawed my way back up to some semblance of sustainability.

more power to ya brotha..!!

the thing that did me in was the guilt of being paid shitloads to have fun making stuff on the Mac and getting to spend that money on booze, drugs, partying, and more Mac and music gear. i blame my Christian schooling for said GUILT.
  • Reply 94 of 103
    Guilt is great, it makes for really hot sex

Thanks brother, cool to read ya.

I have arrived at the conclusion that my Weather Widget wandering, might be ok in the cosmic scheme of things. I read all these messages filled with, "My Mail won't Mail!" "My airport is broken!" "Nothing works and nobody cares!!!!"

None of that ever seems to happen to me. <Knock on Aluminum>. So my Weather Widget drifts... maybe it's really windy over in widget world and it's experiencing lots of turbulence. Who can say.

Probably, we should stop having this conversation on some AppleInsider board though, or someone will have a siezure soon. "They're NOT geeking out! That's IT! I want my money back! You're all crazy, I want to discuss my MAIL button NOT mailing!"

peace
  • Reply 95 of 103
    eluardeluard Posts: 319member
    Quote:

Guilt is great, it makes for really hot sex

Thanks brother, cool to read ya.

I have arrived at the conclusion that my Weather Widget wandering, might be ok in the cosmic scheme of things. I read all these messages filled with, "My Mail won't Mail!" "My airport is broken!" "Nothing works and nobody cares!!!!"

None of that ever seems to happen to me. <Knock on Aluminum>. So my Weather Widget drifts... maybe it's really windy over in widget world and it's experiencing lots of turbulence. Who can say.

Probably, we should stop having this conversation on some AppleInsider board though, or someone will have a siezure soon. "They're NOT geeking out! That's IT! I want my money back! You're all crazy, I want to discuss my MAIL button NOT mailing!"

peace

Naaaahhh I've given up wanting to discuss my mail problem?talking about guilt and sex and money seems far more interesting?and life-affirming to boot. Besides. apparently it was waaaayyy out of line to mention a problem that I was having, that I clearly said was bound to be an idiosyncratic problem of my system and installation. And didn't I also say that mail worked fine in 4.0?

And besides?over on MacFixit I found a solution for all those problems that people have had with mail.app and other system-bound apps. And advice on how to reinstall just those apps, using Pacifist.

I appreciate the advice on Clean Installs but that is about a fortnight's work, reinstalling all the software. I just want to avoid that if I possibly can.

But maybe in the end I won't be able to.

Now let's talk about sex and genius?and whether in the end they are compatible. That is far more interesting.
  • Reply 96 of 103
    Quote:

Originally posted by Eluard

Naaaahhh I've given up wanting to discuss my mail problem?talking about guilt and sex and money seems far more interesting?and life-affirming to boot. Besides. apparently it was waaaayyy out of line to mention a problem that I was having, that I clearly said was bound to be an idiosyncratic problem of my system and installation. And didn't I also say that mail worked fine in 4.0?

And besides?over on MacFixit I found a solution for all those problems that people have had with mail.app and other system-bound apps. And advice on how to reinstall just those apps, using Pacifist.

I appreciate the advice on Clean Installs but that is about a fortnight's work, reinstalling all the software. I just want to avoid that if I possibly can.

But maybe in the end I won't be able to.

Now let's talk about sex and genius?and whether in the end they are compatible. That is far more interesting.

ok. sarcasm noted

we can talk about all these things

maybe you can share what macfixit and pacifist did, actually to solve your problems? for the people out there that don't want to re-install?

• Reply 97 of 103
    I think that being a genius in sex is probably about the best we could hope for.\
  • Reply 98 of 103
    dave marshdave marsh Posts: 349member
    Yes, my Weather 1.0.1 (AccuWeather.com) widget drifts (usually down) the screen, as well. At least at night it shows the moon, instead of the Sun, as some others have reported.
  • Reply 99 of 103
    Quote:

Originally posted by Dave Marsh

Yes, my Weather 1.0.1 (AccuWeather.com) widget drifts (usually down) the screen, as well. At least at night it shows the moon, instead of the Sun, as some others have reported.

mine use to show the moon all the time instead of the sun

heh...

now it seems to be working okay

i've lined it up so i can see if it drifts
  • Reply 100 of 103
    eluardeluard Posts: 319member
    Quote:

ok. sarcasm noted

we can talk about all these things

maybe you can share what macfixit and pacifist did, actually to solve your problems? for the people out there that don't want to re-install?

I haven't actually done it yet, because I haven't yet bought Pacifist. But the idea is that pacifist breaks down the installer DVD so that you can see the individual installers for the apps. You then simply choose the app that you want to reinstall. I think to do it I'm going to need the DVD for 10.4.2. I don't fancy the idea of using the 10.4.0 mail.app in a 10.4.2 installation.

So there you have it?now perhaps I can stop tearing-up over those hilarious ripostes because my mail doesn't work on one machine!